Author Topic: Coreban EZ 10 vs Fanatic Allwave 9'10" for heavyweight ?  (Read 6732 times)

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Coreban EZ 10 vs Fanatic Allwave 9'10" for heavyweight ?
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
Any big guys our there have a comparative view on these boards?  

6'2, 260lb here, neophyte surfer just about ready to step down from my 12 foot cruiser (I reckon) , still wanting up around 200 litres to float me. Surfed a demo Coreban EZ in waist-ribs high and liked it a lot. SB Whopper Extra might be an option but not sure if I really want/need to go 36" wide (?), there isn't a demo of it or the Fanatic available where I am. Tried 10' Mana and the Cabrinha around that size and didn't much like them. Pretty much limited to those majors where I live (SE OZ).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:52:20 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

Big B

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coreban EZ 10 vs Fanatic Allwave 9'10" for heavyweight ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:45:59 AM »
Hi, I'm around your weight and height, I have paddled and Surfed many big boy boards and owned SB Whoppers which are great boards. I also had the Coreban EZ for a while but didn't like it, too much nose rocker and boards foil didn't suit me. I am more into custom made Hulls now with less nose width, good to paddle easy wave entry and far less wind-age on offshore days which is liberality a hang up with wide boards. I would suggest you  take a look at a Paddle Surf Hawaii Hull Paddler, Blane really knows his stuff and if I could get one here I would jump at it. Good luck, B

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:02:25 AM »
Any big guys out there have a comparative view on these boards?  

6'2, 260lb here, neophyte surfer just about ready to step down from my 12 foot cruiser (I reckon) , still wanting up around 200 litres to float me. Surfed a demo Coreban EZ in waist-ribs high and liked it a lot. SB Whopper Extra might be an option but not sure if I really want/need to go 36" wide (?), there isn't a demo of it or the Fanatic available where I am. Tried 10' Mana and the Cabrinha around that size and didn't much like them. Pretty much limited to those majors where I live (SE OZ).

hmmm...not sure what happened there...wetware error
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:14:21 AM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »
I am 240 lbs and 64yrs old. My "go to" board is the 9'6 Allwave for most surf conditions. I liked it so much I bought the 9'10Allwave to use when it is choppy and mushy.

The 9'10 is very stable, even in crap conditions. Plenty of float and paddles easily.
It surfs very well...like a much shorter board.
Search this site for "Allwave" to find a lot of good info from several different Zoners.(+ pictures)
I do all my flatwater paddling on the 9'10...about 2.5 hrs a day, if no surf... It tracks pretty well and I cover the same distances that I did on bigger boards. Great all around board.

I have done a 1 hour flatwater paddle on the Coreban 10' EZ. It was very stable and also had a lot of float. I seemed to paddle well,
I have only surfed 1 wave on it when I borrowed it once for 5 min.
I never bought the EZ because I personally don't like the rail line. I have been told they surf well, but I am inclined to think the 9'10 Allwave is a much better surf SUP.... and costs less.

I previously bought a 10'8 Cabrinah to use when it was too windy for my 9'6 Allwave.
Problem was, I liked the 9'6 so much that I was not satisfied with the performance of the Cabrinah, so I traded it for the 9'10 Allwave.

Of the 3 brands... I believe that the Allwave has superior construction... and a lower price. Very tough, pretty light... and they are not painted, so no chipping or scuff marks from the paddle... no need for rail tape. I have never dinged or dented either Allwave after MANY surf sessions.

The Cabrinah and the Coreban have far superior carrying handles.

The 10' Whopper is 34" wide... I have never surfed one, but my first board was the 11'2 x 36 Avanti... I was very happy with it when I weighed 295lbs... a good all around big boy starter.

All the boards you are considering are good choices... I am sure you would be happy with which ever you chose.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:54:19 AM »
The Icon will float you and surf better than an EZ if you are comfortable on 29.5".

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 03:02:22 PM »
Thanks blokes, all good input there.
Sheldon Brown

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
Footnote: bought the 2013 9'10 Allwave this week, based on a couple hours fun on it in ankle high bay ripples. Itchin' for a proper surf on it but will be on the road until late next week...itchin real bad ;D

...and one of my (much smaller) buddies had a play on mine, went out straight away and bought himself an 8'10...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:29:47 AM by upwinder »
Sheldon Brown

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
Enjoy your AW 9'10 I LOVE mine

JimK

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal