Author Topic: Hobie CM Series  (Read 23802 times)

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hobie CM Series
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »
I picked up a 9'4" Hobie CM (Colin McPhillips).  What is the word on these things?  The "floatation disk" doesn't seem exist on the newer Hobies.  Should I be worried about that?
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

CowichanSUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hobie CM Series
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »
What the heck is a floatation disk?  I'm picking up my 8'4" Torque tomorrow...will mine be missing a floatation disk too?  Should I care?  :)

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:57:58 AM »
It's BECAUSE they got rid of the floatation disk that I'm worried.  The new boards don't have it.  Basically, the tip and tail are thinner while the area where you stand has a thicker "disc" shaped area to provide the floatation.  You are going to love your board, I have heard lots of good things about that one.
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
It's called a domed deck. The theory is they put more volume in the middle of the deck and are able to thin out the rails a little more for more performance turning and rail catching.  Those torque series are really good boards .Have you seen the new Hobie RAW's ??  They are super light , like in the 10 to 12 pound area for a 8'11 !! My friend got a 9'4"  and it is his favorite board now.

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »
Those boards are awesome, and you shouldn't be worried at all.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »
Yes to the above. Although I sold my 8'4", the Raw flat out rips.  Thinned out is good.  The deck might get some pressure dings, depending on how hard you shred, or weigh.   :)

I would definitely get the 7'11" next time in a five fin configuration.
The rails are tough!

Have fun!

CowichanSUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
I have had about 6 sessions on my 8'4" Hobie CM Torque and I have to say what an awesome board.  It is like it was built custom for me.  It is fast and very solid under the foot when you want it to be and if you put your foot on the kick pad it loosens right up.  I am around 165lbs and this board gives me enough float without feeling corky.  It picks up waves really nice, as easy as my 9' Starboard Stinger did.  After these first sessions I feel like I could have gone with 7'11" Torque, but this will likely be better for around here.  A little more stability isn't the worst thing in the world.

I saw another post about the Hobie RAW and the lack of a quad setup.  Mine came with I guess it is a 4+1 setup (quad plus a standard centre rear fin option).  This was a very pleasant surprise for me because I had expected a 2+1 setup, which is what was quoted on the Hobie site.  The first thing I did was go to the local surf shop and grab a set of quad fins.  Pretty much zero research went into my purchase of fins.  I bought a 5 fin set because they didn't have any quads that I liked, I just dropped out the back centre fin and that is what the quad set is anyway I believe.  Anyway, I bought the Futures V2 F4 5-Fin set in a small.  I think I fluked into a really good setup.

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=232&largeimg=5fins_v2f4_full.jpg

I had one of the best SUS sessions last night on it at a local point break (thanks for the swell showing up earlier in the season than usually!).  Nice little waves with the occasional chest high set, zero people out, sun setting, warm...not very Vancouver Island feeling I can tell you that!

Love the board.  If you are looking for a smaller board for surfing try and track one of these down and give it a go.

-Mark

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
How do you think this board would fair if say, a kicked out Pocket Rocket slammed into one of the rails on say, the Southern Oregon coast?
Don't forget to bring a towel!

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »
How do you think this board would fair if say, a kicked out Pocket Rocket slammed into one of the rails on say, the Southern Oregon coast?
Don't know about how it stands up to a PR in the Southern Oregon coast, but I can tell you that they don't fair too very well when they're kicked out, trying to avoid a "Tropical Blends" 10'6" Wahine that was going right......and right only. :o >:(

Fortunately, neither was my board, but saw the aftermath.....let's just say the Hobie CM Torque took far worst of the beating. 

Supperson

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
The CM 7'11 looks unreal!!!

T-Boy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
Got the 9'4" RAW when they got to Oahu and it's the fastest board I've had so far-- lightest also-- 17 lbs. Winter can't come soon enough.  :D
Angulo 14x28 carbon custom
JL 8-11 Striker
Hobie 8-11 CM Torque
L-41 8-0x30.5 ST

CowichanSUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
Good info on how well this will hold up in a collision....keep you PR the heck away 14 West!  :P

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 12:12:08 AM »
Yeah, the 7'11" should be a featherweight. My 8'4" weighed 13.8 lbs with pad and fins.

side note:  (I'm paranoid about weight, and put the boards on a shipping scale at least once-a-month.)

blockidog

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 07:47:46 PM »
I currently own a '13 Hobie CM 9'4" PRO RAW and plan to move to a smaller wave SUP.

Available in Marblehead, MA and I can deliver or ship.

Current:
 SUPSurf Machine 5'/93L FoilBoard
 Axis HPS1050, ART999, BSC1060, PNG1150     
 Ensis 5.2 & 3.5
 Sunova Speed 8'2"
 PSH 10'0" Hand Glassed Pulled Nose/Swallow Tail
 SIC 12'6" Bullet SCC
Prior:
 Axis 1010
 Coreban 8'0" VIBE
 PSH 8'9" Hull Ripper Carbon
 Hobie 9'4" CM Raw

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 04:15:18 AM »
Congrats on the new Hobie RAW, these are great boards.  They are of the highest performing boards on the market...and I've ridden a lot of different boards in the performance SUP niche. I've been buying, borrowing, demoing, and on water swapping as many 8'2"-8'7" 100 liter- 110 liter boards that I could get my hands on for the last two years.  The 8'4" Hobie RAW is one of my favorites, and very light....., but that comes with a price.  They are basically light, surfboard construction. If you were a surfer, then you won't be surprised by the pressure dings, and how the deck gets depressions where you stand while paddling, and how easily they ding. The 8'4" RAW that my friend owns, and I ride once in a while has really changed in just over a year. He's a good surfer, but hasn't been very diligent about keeping on top of repairs, so it's become kind of a rat board. The standing area is very depressed, but there isn't much he could do about that. He could, however, do a better job at fixing dings, it has many low effort ding repairs.  The bottom line is that it still surfs really well, and he is currently thinking about a replacement. He loves his Hobie, but might be considering a JP Surf Pro. He rode a surf Pro that I own during an on water swap, and performance wise, it seemed to be draw between the two.  We didn't get a full comparo as he broke his paddle soon after the swap. Anyway, congrats on the great boards....treat them nicely.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal