Author Topic: SUP Plans???  (Read 41432 times)

Woodbender

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP Plans???
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:33:06 AM »
I've been researching SUP plans across the internet and how found a few.  I really like the lines of the board found here:  http://timelesssurfcompany.com/
Anyone build one of these and what do you think about it?

I'm getting close to finishing a racing canoe for races that I compete in here in my home state of Texas.  I'm always building something so when my boat is completed, I'll look towards building a SUP when I'm not training in my canoe.

I am 6'-3" and weigh 190.  I'm not familiar with what I need to be looking for in a set of plans based on my size.  I might take it on a river or two here in Texas, but nothing that is going to beat the board to pieces.  I mainly plan on paddling on the lake for a different kind of workout from my canoe.

If you have built your own or have recommendations on a particualar set of plans, please chime in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JJ

Bill Huson

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP Plans???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/surf_boats/paddleboards/kaholo-stand-up-paddleboard.html

I built a Kaholo for my daughter. It is not a "surf" SUP, but is great for flat water.  Daughte has paddled several bodies of water in coastal Carolina.

Fairly easy build. Ignore ClC's weight estimate - board will weigh about 40 pounds.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
Andy (andygere) will likely respond but to make sure send him a PM. He built a beautiful board and the whole build is documented online.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=19

If you're planning on only using it for flatwater I think I'd go with the CLC design though. We've had a beauty paddle with us in the last 4 CCBC's. Pretty fast and great glide.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:08:52 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:45:41 PM »
6'4" 220 here and just about done with my Kaholo 14'. It is pretty easy (kit, not plans for me) and for the hack carpenter I am I sure am pleased with how it is going to turn out.
It will probably be close to 40 when done. I was at 36 last I checked and still have a deck pad, varnish, hatch, and last coat of deck epoxy to put on. I will let you know how it paddles here in a couple of weeks but I have heard lots of good things. Do a search here for it and there are quite a few threads.
That one you found is pretty nice. If you build it let us know what you think.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »
You can easily design and build your own hollow wood SUP.  If you are building a canoe for racing, you surely have the skills. 

I used some free software (Aku Shaper http://www.akushaper.com/ ) to design my 11'-6" Waveyarder, and built it using the techniques developed by Grain Surfboards.  http://www.grainsurfboards.com/  Timeless Surf Company seems to have adopted Grain's methods and put together some plans to sell.  I documented my build in some detail, and published my plans as well.  I can't help but notice the similarity of the Timeless SUP model to my Waveyarder, right down to the nose block, but that's probably a coincidence.  In any event, check out my build thread, and be sure to browse the forum at Tree To Sea and check out the work done by many of the other skilled craftsmen there.

http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554&start=0

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
I am really loving my Kaholo, fast for a 30" board, with lots of stability from that 30".  I feel it owes more to kayaks then surfboards, but that is not a problem for me.  If you want something more traditional it is not the way to go.  There are Kalholo 14's in the 26lb range, but you have to be really good with epoxy to even make the 32lb claim, but it can be done, and likely not on your first one.  I built from plans and made some changes, some for function, some for aesthetics.  Using a longboard fin box was a very useful functional change, and I would recommend it to anyone hoping to get some performance out of one.  clc claims it is surfable, and I will just have to take their word on it for now.

I built it at my dads, and he watched it being built and said, it is so pretty, I want to build one, but at 83 he feels he would not use it, so he needs an excuse.  On the 4th, I put my sisters and their children on mine, and he will not have trouble finding someone to use it if he builds it. 

If the cardboard surfboard buy did a sup kit, I would be on that really quick, the idea just makes me smile.
Obfuscation through elucidation

Woodbender

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:24:13 AM »
Thanks Everyone,

Exactly what I wanted to see and hear.  Some awesome stuff.  I'll definitely start following some of the build threads and references.

Still more to go, but here is my current racing canoe status for anyone interested.  19-1/2 feet long, 22" wide at maximum width.  Currently weighs 28 pounds with the seat, foot brace, and rudder assembly (None shown in the pictures).

We'll see if my pictures work.

JJ

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
The canoe is rad.  You are ready to build a SUP.

Sliver

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Sliver Paddleboards
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »
I Have a NEW tutorials section on my website that details every step involved in building a hollow wood paddle board. I see no reason not to share everything I have learned building my custom boards so the tutorials are posted for FREE on my website.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again