Author Topic: Why Put your board fins forward on you car?  (Read 14088 times)

MnSUUUPerDude

• Malibu Status
  • Stoked On Life!
    • View Profile
Why Put your board fins forward on you car?
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »
Hello everyone, I was just wondering why it seems to be the norm to transport your SUP with fins facing the front of your car. I get why fins up, but why dont most people just take out the fins, and if you keep them on why not go fins at the back facing up? Anyway, I have always wondered.

CTsupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why Put your board fins forward on you car?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »
If you do a search, you'll find this question has been brought up and discussed a few times. What I've gathered is that there isn't necessarily a best way - fins forward or back. It's preference, habit and local custom. I like the thought that fin forward allows the fin to catch the second strap if one strap breaks, but I do it both ways depending on what's easiest at the moment.

MnSUUUPerDude

• Malibu Status
  • Stoked On Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:17:24 AM »
yeah i am sure it has been brought up before, but i didnt have luck finding the answers i was looking for. This is just as easy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »
You need to read some Jonathon Swift. There are bigendians and smallendians. It's part of the human condition.

I don't have strong feelings one way or another. I don't have to worry about people who put their fins at the back because they're going to hell and that's punishment enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »
It’s just something that carries over from surfing.  You’ll notice that everyone carries surfboards the same way.  The “fins up” is due to due not directly exposing wax to the sun and melting as a result.  Fins being forward as opposed to back is just a tradition.  As far as practical reasons it really doesn’t matter.   

MnSUUUPerDude

• Malibu Status
  • Stoked On Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
Oh ok, I thought there might be a reason that had to do with physics.
And bill I didnt understand either of the points you made. where you joking or are you just an ass.. :)

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »
Uuuuuuu... could search "Bag or no bag for roof transport" in general discussion
started by another from the midlakes... I sense a trend.

Lots of opinions there about everything "Racks".... some... are even good ;D

shankfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • shankfoo on fb
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »
The front rocker on my Shaka makes it difficult to see traffic lights if I rack it nose-forward, unless I also rack it right-side up, which just feels weird.
- Kevin -
| Angulo Shaka 14' | Surftech Bark Laird 14' | Coreban Alpha 12'6 | Uli 14' | Red 10'6 || QB Kanaha 100 86" |

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »
Bill is definitely an ass....like anyone that goes fins forward..... ::)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

MnSUUUPerDude

• Malibu Status
  • Stoked On Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »
OHHHHHHHH snap! haha Love the banter! Thanks evrybody for the input. Sounds like it is just personal preference. My main concern is that I dont damage my board by doing it one way or anouther. Good to know it doesnt matter! thats my moto, that and everybody wang chung tonight. haha

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
It’s just something that carries over from surfing.  You’ll notice that everyone carries surfboards the same way.  The “fins up” is due to due not directly exposing wax to the sun and melting as a result.  Fins being forward as opposed to back is just a tradition.  As far as practical reasons it really doesn’t matter.   
That's 100% correct.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
And bill I didnt understand either of the points you made. where you joking or are you just an ass.. :)
He's been known to expose us to a wise crack on occasion.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Why Put your board fins forward on you car?
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »

Yes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »
Oh ok, I thought there might be a reason that had to do with physics.

A little of both.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »
My thinking was always "physics". With the nose forward and down, it's going to catch the wind a lot more than the tail, it will also catch more bugs!

Fins forward, less rocker, less bugs and less wind resistance.

But mainly yeah, when I started surfing I just did what everyone else was doing, fins forward.

It's kinda like carrying a golf bag, you can tell the newbies/first timers cause they are carrying them wrong.
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal