Author Topic: Rockerlines  (Read 4977 times)

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Rockerlines
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:36:34 AM »
Hi,
i'm always trying to learn more about the SUP shapes, but have very limited acces to shape data.
Having a windsurfing backround i know quite a bit about these shapes, e. g. a waveboard has about 20 - 25 mm of rocker, a flatwater board about 0 - 10 mm.

Can anyone compare the SUP rockerlines, e. g. surfSUPs to the raceboards?
Has a SUP raceboard a rockerline more like a windsurfboard for planing?

Another question is: "what's a "fast" rockerline in a surfSUP (Wardog shapes)? Does that mean flat midsection with tailkick versus more continous rocker in a standard shape?

When would a rockerline start to plane like a windsurfboard? Is there a definite borderline or is this a continous borderline?

What's the difference in having the rocker more in the centerline (monoconcave) vs. Rocker in the rails (v-Shapes)?

All info welcome.
Alex

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Rockerlines
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:09:43 AM »

Has a SUP raceboard a rockerline more like a windsurfboard for planing?

Yes. The original Naish glide was a perfect match to a slalom board rocker, extended out for a 14 ft board.

Another question is: "what's a "fast" rockerline in a surfSUP? Does that mean flat midsection with tailkick versus more continous rocker in a standard shape?

I built downwind SUPs using both style rockers. Continuous was clearly faster, while flatter middle with tail kick was more surfy.

In surf SUPs, continuous rockered boards feels less finicky. They turn from more than just the tail pad. Flatter middles with tail kick, feel more sensitive to standing in the right spot to make them perform.

I only do continuous rocker shapes after learning all this through testing and logging every shape I've gotten my hands on, or shaped myself.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »
Hi DW,
thanx, valuable info.

What do you think would be the minimum tailrocker for a board that has as a baseline the rockerline of the Naish Glide scaled down for an 10' Allround SUP shape but should be able to be surfed in small waves? Would 1" be enough?
(Assuming the rocker of the Glide is almost 0" like in a ws slalom board)

I understand you would build in the rocker in a continous curve.
If that board should also be planable in windsurfing mode, would you keep it continous or would a flat midsection with tailkick be better for that purpose?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
Hi DW,
thanx, valuable info.

What do you think would be the minimum tailrocker for a board that has as a baseline the rockerline of the Naish Glide scaled down for an 10' Allround SUP shape but should be able to be surfed in small waves? Would 1" be enough?
(Assuming the rocker of the Glide is almost 0" like in a ws slalom board)

I understand you would build in the rocker in a continous curve.
If that board should also be planable in windsurfing mode, would you keep it continous or would a flat midsection with tailkick be better for that purpose?

The rocker of a slalom board is not 0.   You're not measuring correctly if you're getting those numbers. Buy some aluminum angle, as long as you can find. Home Depot has some. Place it at the mid point of some boards and measure a few.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 12:54:12 AM »
Interessting.
AFAIK the rocker of windsurfing boards is measured by placing the angle at 1m from the tail, so my conclusion.
Are there different methods for measuring rockerlines?
Do you have the rockermeasure of the Glide using your method?

Btw. when reading through all the shape threads the writeup is mostly about outline and rail shape. Seldom the rockerline gets discussed. That's kind of strange to me since the rockerline is so essential for a boards behaviour.

Alex

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:51 AM »
Interessting.
AFAIK the rocker of windsurfing boards is measured by placing the angle at 1m from the tail, so my conclusion.
Are there different methods for measuring rockerlines?
Do you have the rockermeasure of the Glide using your method?

Btw. when reading through all the shape threads the writeup is mostly about outline and rail shape. Seldom the rockerline gets discussed. That's kind of strange to me since the rockerline is so essential for a boards behaviour.

Alex

You won't find many people talking rocker numbers. Those are the secret numbers people don't like to share.

http://ncpaddlesurfer.blogspot.com/2010/09/shape-details-naish-90-mana.html

This is how surfboard shapers measure it. The hard part, is finding a stick long enough.

Watch all the Nelson Factory videos and you'll see how they measure windsurf rocker.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:49:25 AM by DW »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »
Mark has nice toys there. If you're in Maui, going up to the cannery to see all the businesses building leading edge stuff is pretty fun--for a geek like me anyway. Nelson is doing my Kalama board. In fact it should be done, all that was left was paint last time I talked to him. I'm looking forward to this ride, and it should be fairly indestructible. Bamboo top and bottom, carbon rails.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal