Author Topic: Toyz and geek stuff  (Read 6222 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Toyz and geek stuff
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »
I've been playing with a four-rotor helicopter thingie (a Balde MQX)--I was inspired by Dan Gavere's big boy version and decided to learn to fly this thing in the mini-me size before I drop a few thousand on the more serious hardware. Even though mine is teenie-weenie I decided I wanted video recording and POV, so I started looking for ways to do miniaturized video, expecting it to be expensive and hard. Instead it's cheap and easy. Real cheap and real easy, like less than a hundred bucks for both a POV video camera/transmitter/ receiver AND a miniature video recorder--and a few other goodies tossed in. That's pretty unbelievable

What you're seeing is a combination video camera and microphone with a built in transmitter. the range is about 50 yards depending on what's around. Picture quality isn't bad--480p and 15 fps. I've gutted the connectors and stuff to reduce weight. I power it from two sub-miniature lipo batteries. Now I just need to learn to fly while looking at a TV screen.

Right behind that is a video recorder. The little ribbon terminates in the ccd sensor and lens array, and the box holds a mini SD card (TF) and has the battery connector and a USB connection. weighs about 20 grams.

Gavere, by the way, is not just a super-fast paddler and whitewater wizard, he's also a closet geek. Besides all the slick aerial camera platform stuff he's building he gave me an idea for a SUP mod that I just had to jump on. Dan, by the time you get back in town there will probably be something VERY skinny but VERY stable to try out.

This is gonna be fun. There's going to be a lot of screaming.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:30:15 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Toyz and geek stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 05:48:08 AM »
Nice!

would your heli fly if you used the camera portion of that setup only (no recorder) to transmit to your reference monitor for framing and then mounted a high res go pro at the same angle for recording?

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »
I'm just going to leave this here:
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/

This is the model I am currently learning how not to crash.
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/stealth-quad-fpv-reconn

Admin - That is what the FPV (first person viewer) is on mine.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:26:34 PM by Easy Rider »
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:33:49 AM »

You're a bad man. You just cost me 750 bux. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »

You're a bad man. You just cost me 750 bux. 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
Wait till you see how small a box it arrives in.

Oh and the absolute most important thing - BALANCE YOUR PROPS!   As in go to a hobby store and buy a prop balancer.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
One more thing - it doesn't come with a battery -
This is the one you need (if you got the same model I have). 

#ZK1200.4S.25C/19219 Zippy-K Flightmax 1200mah 4S1P 25C Lipoly Battery = $13.01

I hate to shop on line for this stuff (especially since my brother works at a hobby store) but the only place we could find the right battery was at HobbyKing.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
Wow, their idea or ARF and mine are VERY different. "Oh, you mean the electronics are ARF". Takes a while to put this puppy together. I have a stiff neck and eyestrain from all the leetle bits. Now I've gotta program the bugger. Complicated, but it's kind of cool. I've learned to fly my MQX in pretty stiff wind. Given the weight of this thing and the sophistication of the stability controls I'm hoping it will handle Gorge wind. I want to do some downwinder aerials.

Shot with a Gopro HD, natch.

What I'd like to see is a composite video adapter for an iPhone so I could use it for the FPV video
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:05:00 AM by PonoBill »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
Nice, can you mount the joystick on your paddle handle and fly it while you are paddling?
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »
With the sophistication of the control system, it's possible to build a follow system. Not sure I'm up to the electronic engineering necessary, but I might give it a try. Either optical following at a set altitude or following a signal.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
I am hoping a buddy (who actually trains the Canadian Military how to fly drones) will come to our next indoor surf session and get some footage.
I am not to the level yet where I trust my self over water.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:54:22 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »
Go hands-free

http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=v1dkweyyibee

That's awesome and I've often thought about this for paddling.. When they say it just sits itself down if it looses the signal means that it would need to have floats and be weatherproof.. That will mean heading for the to-hard basket... for now anyway.

DJ

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
I was joking but you guys are serious.  I just thought of what the future might look like, instead of having go pros mounted on the boards, people will have drones following themselves around to film all the action.  You would be able to put a live feed of yourself surfing on facebook so all your friends can watch your every move.  That's scary...
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal