Author Topic: My take on 6'6 Impossible  (Read 21927 times)

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
My take on 6'6 Impossible
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:24:08 PM »
So im about to shape(cnc machine, i know im cheating here, but dont have room for a shaping bay/time to learn) a copy of Starboard 6'6 Impossible. I just can't afford to spend 1600 on a new SB plus i have bunch of fiberglass and carbon and epoxy so the cost for me will be around $300. I would buy a used one but havent seen one yet. The rocker profile is 1.75 tail and 5.75 for the nose. The rail is mostly bevel down at the middle point to sharp at the end. The center of gravity/ thickest point of the rail is 3" forward of the midpoint. I know the website said it have a flat concave to flat vee. But i can't seem to decide on what kind of bottom contour after reading throught the Swaylocks, going throung King board shaping post here at the zone and remember reading some from DW.  So i have options of semi stock which is mono concave to flat to vee or vees all the way from nose to tail with deepest vee right in front of the fins like Kings or flat bottom like DW.  i have sup that have the first two bottom contour but never own anything with a flat bottom. This will be mainly surf at socal beach break or at D-patch.  Any input will be nice.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: My take on 6'6 Impossible
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
Eric, username "Disco" has a demo model for sale.

Message him for more information.  The price is very reasonable.

:)

I like mine, but going custom, there are areas that need tweaking.

The nose is fat, very fat.  It doesn't taper down at all.  For it's size, the Impossible has a lot of volume.  The tail is really wide.  I'd taper the rails down.  Perhaps do a stepdeck, thin the nose out.  Maybe lengthen it to a 6'8".  Cut the width down to 28.5" to 29".

The board as it is...quite stable, even in choppy conditions.  Not even challenging to stand there without paddling.  If you want to cut out some volume, you'd be fine.

If you need to see one up close and measure it out, let me know.  I have one.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:08:40 PM by Cardiff Sweeper »

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »
Cardiff, thanks for your feedback. i have 108.5L on AKU shaper but dunno if i should cut more volume out.  wonder if the volume will increase more after i glass it.  I read somewhere that after glassing, it will increase 10-15L but i think he was only referring to sandwich board and not regular surfboard construction.   

Here is my outline i copy from image on their website and the rocker is what im guess it should be.

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
CNC machine..cheating, :P no way!
What a tool,Im trying to get one from Kings.
The future is now.
Design it..pull out the CC,pull the trigger.......it's one way to go, nice to have options.
Good luck on your build

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
Thanks, i think im going with vees along the whole board instead of going the stock contour route.  My Ron House(9') have a huge vees running from mid point to fin and i like how skatey and so much easier to turn than any other board i have. i know im going to loss some down the line speed without any concave.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »
Ucycle, I would definitely put the main width at the middle. With your outline, when you put it on the rails, suddenly you will have the rail line of the much longer board, it will feel weird and "stuck" in the water.

An exemple of a 6'9" wide-nosed / narrow tail design that still has main width at the center: (I should have it in July)

Also, with these short boards, you definitely want to avoid any nose that would push water and "block" at take off. be sure to round a lot the rails at the front.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:01:34 AM by colas »

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:37:14 AM »
Thanks for your input Colas, now i don't know if i should keep the Impossible outline or go with more traditional outline.  how many liter and the width is that board? i might just sticky with the Impossible outline and when i build the second one i will go with Colas outline. but still debating. ??? thanks again for the input.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 04:49:25 AM »
Last year I had these 2 boards:
- 7'10" "no nose" (white). Very sensitive with its V and narrow nose, but super fast for paddling for its size, and extra loose in hollow waves
- 6'6" "main width forward" (red) very easy and forgiving to learn ShortSUP technique due to its wide front, but still lively on the wave with its somewhat pointed nose

The red was was definitely enjoyable, fun to ride, very easy to stand up on, extremely stable at 33" wide, but it was less lively and slower to position to catch waves than the 6'8" I got later:

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:16:47 AM »
Hey colas, thanks for the cool visual on the evolution of your boards - any occas for sale?
The wide point in the middle looks more natural, from a typical surfboard perspective that is.
The wide point forward goes back to the single fin, where unlike in sup, the surfer rode with
the feet much further forward.  Anways ucycle, kinda jealous of ya, good luck with the project.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:48 AM »
surfinJ, you can have some luck finding one at http://www.gongsup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
Note that you will find a lot of info on this forum (in French) on the design & evolution of these ShortSUPs and the technique to ride them

I have just sold the 6'8" in the picture to a guy from tahiti who was visiting France, I hope to have its replacement with me for my trip to Seignosse 18-25 June... but I wont have any to sell :-(

Here my next 6'8" in the hand of the shaper: Patrice Guénolé

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:20:10 AM »
 Love the shape (and tail) of the new one you have coming, Colas. Let me know how it 'feels' once you've had it in a few...         Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 10:41:14 AM »
I had a chance to see Cardiff' impossible and just talking to him about the board. So i followed his  recommendations and i add 2" to the overall lenght (6'8), step rail on the last 2 ft of the board and narrow both tail(17.25@1') and nose(forgot the #) and drop the nose rocker to 5.5 but plan to thin it out manually once i get the blank.  Im still debating if i want to get the used Impossible or make my own with my own spin on it plus a lot cheaper. Will post up couple screenshot once i get back home to see what you guy think about it.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:37:05 AM »
Yup, seems nicer than your first design. Should be quite forgiving and stable for its size.

As for the step rails, I don't know if they are worth the trouble. Just doming a bit the deck near the rails should give you thin rails and should be easier to shape, but it's your board, you decide!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »
I agree w Colas... with the rails as you have them, you will be very limited as to foot placement... I would just dome them.

Good luck and let us know.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal