Author Topic: New Here... New to SUP  (Read 4225 times)

seaox23

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Here... New to SUP
« on: May 30, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »
Hi all,
After seeing the SUP's for the last 2 years at my local beach (Island Beach State Park, in New Jersey) I finally bought my own this Friday.  I bought a 10'6" Surftech Bamboozle. I paddled all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday on flat water.  Monday I took it to the ocean and was humbled very quickly!!  I read a lot of great beginner tips on this forum and I appreciate any other info you guys/gals could throw my way for the ocean.  I suspect I should develop more flat water skills before heading back to the ocean.  Thanks in advance for any pointers. 

Jeff

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Here... New to SUP
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »
Welcome.  I'd say, if you want to get good in the ocean, first get comfortable moving your feet around in flat water.  It will help with your balance. 
Have fun.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »
 Hi Jeff... Welcome to the site and welcome to the sport. You did right in taking her out on flat-water first (multiple times) to learn the idiosyncrasies of paddling before trying the ocean. Remember to learn 'surf etiquette' (if you don't know it) too, and nothing beats good ole TOW (time on the water)... You will get it, just keep trying.      Paddle on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »
Hi Jeff... welcome to the addiction ;D

May I assume, since you used the word "humbled" that you are a surfer?

1. flatwater till you are fairly proficient at your paddle handling... it is important when catching waves. When learning it always seems like you need to switch hands just as the wave gets to you.

2. the act of paddling into a wave with your feet parallel is difficult at first. This may make it easier till you adjust to the dynamics of stand up paddling into waves.
       Just before you make your run for the wave, slide your back foot about 4" back and  slightly to the side.... this puts you in a more familiar "surfing stance" which may   keep you from falling backwards as the tail lifts up.

I took some pictures today to illustrate the stance... hope they help

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
Don't limit yourself to flatwater. The fastest way to get better is to challenge yourself in choppy conditions. It was a lot more difficult for me to get this than for most. It was going out in just about anything that helped me progress. My favorite workout in the early days (still actually) is to paddle out 1/2 mile into stiff onshore winds and chop and then turn and run with it. Repeat until your arms go numb.... ;D 
Paddling in and out in chop forces you to learn to move your feet, you have to in order to avoid falling. BTW...don't worry about falling, the way I see it if you don't fall you aren't pushing your limits.

Surf will come, but please make sure you don't go into the surf with anyone else around you until you are really able to control your board. I didn't go anywhere near a lineup for well over a year. That was me though, your mileage will vary.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
Don't limit yourself to flatwater. The fastest way to get better is to challenge yourself in choppy conditions. It was a lot more difficult for me to get this than for most. It was going out in just about anything that helped me progress. My favorite workout in the early days (still actually) is to paddle out 1/2 mile into stiff onshore winds and chop and then turn and run with it. Repeat until your arms go numb.... ;D 
Paddling in and out in chop forces you to learn to move your feet, you have to in order to avoid falling. BTW...don't worry about falling, the way I see it if you don't fall you aren't pushing your limits.

I made sure I had a good dozen sessions or so on flat water or light chop under my belt at first, but now I'm trying to get out into the ocean as much as possible. It's not just that the chop is bigger, but I find that it comes from multiple directions. My body can tell that it's more work, that's for sure!

seaox23

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:08:49 AM »
All, thank you for all of the advice.  You definitely gave me some great tips and I look forward to improving asap.  I should have mentioned yes I am a surfer and I was utterly surprised as to how difficult SUP really is in the ocean.  SUPTHECREEK  thank you for taking the pictures and showing me your foot work.  I am very glad to have found this forum.  Thanks again everyone. 

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:18 AM »
SeaOx

I sent you a PM I'm SURE we can help you get comfortable in the waves

JimK
www'extremewindsurfing.com

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
Hey - I'm a newbie with a few years surfing. First outing on a SUP was on the sea....slight chop and enough to send me in swimming a good few times. Next time on the sea again just for 30 mins as I was playing with my youngster most of the time at the shore. Last night into the sea at my local spot which was nice and glassy with little wind. Waist high decent period surf. Got a good few waves and fell in loads too :) By the end of the night I was starting to paddle into the waves a bit better.

Suppose what I am saying....all depends on the person.....but if you are a surfer and get the chance of some small clean surf then go for it and don't limit yourself to flat water only. Maybe view flatter conditions as more of a technique building session and go for surfing on easy days for the fun factor and getting a better balance. I reckon you'll learn quicker. That's my take on it so far anyways. Falling in regularly is fine by me...all part of learning. Just keep away from prone surfers until you can handle your board well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal