Author Topic: Quick question to Fanatic Fly riders - 10 or 10'6 ?  (Read 10004 times)

SUP-side down

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quick question to Fanatic Fly riders - 10 or 10'6 ?
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »
Guys, anyone riding or dealing these boards?

At 155lb which would you recommend?

50/50 surf and cruise, Low-ish surfing ability, reasonably fit, small to head high at most, beginner to SUP.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

SUP-side down
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:27:02 AM by SUP-side down »

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Quick question to Fanatic Fly riders - 10 or 10'6 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:07:43 AM »
I'm 5'6- 175 lbs.  99% ocean/waves -1% flat water.   I like the 10' better for ocean use.  The 10'6 and 11' seemed slower to get on the waves and tougher to manuver.  I tried all three 2 years ago.  The all white 2010 models AST. 

For windsurfing, the 11' is very nice since its long and flat enough to get up on plane and speed away. 

Also be sure to add the All Wave models to your list.  The 9'2 felt like the 10'6.  Plenty of volume and stability in such a compact shape.

Happy Shopping!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:55:20 AM »
SUP-side,

I agree the 10 FT Fly might be the best call but you will get better glide from the 10'6. THESE ARE 2 OF THE MOST VERSITILE ALL AROUND DESIGNS. Stable, Fast with great gliding in a cruisy fashion.

I do beg to differ that the AllWave 9'6 is "like" the Fly 10'6. Although they share the same volume the AllWave is VERY different. Being a "Fish" design meaning it generates speed (on a wave) from being ridden rail to rail. This is a slashy design where the Fly cruises while wave ridding. Also the AllWave is OK in flatwater it is not its Forte

The question I have is what construction are you looking at in the FLY? It makes a difference in performance for sure.

In case you were wondering we do sell the FLY as well as the AllWave and I personally ride both!

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SUP-side down

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:12:31 AM »
thanks Wilanz and JimK, appreciate your experience and input.

Wilanz, your comment that the 10 gets you on the wave quicker is interesting - not what I was expecting, but an attractive feature.

Jim, My surfing experience is longboard / mal, not shortboard. I won't be windsurfing the board and I'm looking at the HRS finish.

I was thinking 10'6 initially, simply to make life easier as a beginner but then looked at equivalents (Drive, Nalu) in terms of volume and it is higher volume at 177 lt (vs 160) - the 10 seemed more similar (at 160lt) except for length, which got me thinking....(a dangerous thing!) ...so value your comments on the 10.  I think if the 10 will work then I would go for that. I'm not planning long adventures on the flat, just short hops around the coast, nothing competetive, so just want to be sure the 10 doesn't inhibit that...I don't mind if it's a little harder work, it's all a good workout!

Again, thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience and knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:15:05 AM by SUP-side down »

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:17:16 AM »
SUP-side
Welcome to Zone !

The bigger difference between the 10' & 10'6 Fly is the width... 30" vs 31"
I think 1 inch of width adds more stability to a board than 6" of length.

You didn't mention your age... that is a fairly significant factor in stability.

Having said all that... I believe you should lean towards the 10' Fly
Fanatic put a good amount of volume toward the rails via a flat deck design (instead of domed)
And they have a flatter bottom contour up front which will give you more speed when paddling.
(plus a nice rocker aft with "V" for turning in surf)

Between the Naish and Fanatic... the Fanatic wins hands down in my book.
       #1: The HRS model is TOUGH and light...
              I've read & seen issues with Naish durability
              I own a 9'6" Allwave... it is VERY durable and never even show a paddle mark or denting.
       #2: The Fanatic's are priced WELL below the other premium brands.

I think the Fly HRS is a better choice than the Allwave for you... since you will be using it primarily in flatwater.

Another consideration when buying....
         Ease of transporting the board.... which one will be easier for you to stuff in/on your car?
         You will be using it a LOT... so convenience matters.

If you can't demo easily... look at them... pick them up... see which one "feels" right to you.

Enjoy the discovery... I think you have parsed the information well, and made a great 1st choice. Grin

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
thanks Wilanz and JimK, appreciate your experience and input.

Wilanz, your comment that the 10 gets you on the wave quicker is interesting - not what I was expecting, but an attractive feature.

My guess is it has to do with the width, rocker line and weight.  I ended up staying with the 10' for a long time for our south florida mushy waves.  When I tested the All Wave and the Pro Wave last year,  I went with the Pro Wave for the same reason.  Just a little bit quicker to get on the wave.

I was also on a custom 8'10 x 28.5" with Quads.  That too me felt even quicker to get on the waves which probably confirms from my experience its the width of the SUP that makes it feel quicker to catch waves.

I've tried a couple of 12' SUPs since then and the weight of them made it tougher to catch the swells which I was catching easily with a smaller narrower SUP.

I should also mention I use a small blade for paddling, Werner Nitro and it's a about 2 inches shorter than recommended.  Not a lot of power out of this blade which may be a factor as to why the bigger boards feel slower.  They may require a bigger blade with more power.  But I like to be out there for 2 hours plus and the big blades wear me out!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal