Author Topic: Broken handle on QuickBlade paddle  (Read 11302 times)

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Broken handle on QuickBlade paddle
« on: May 14, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »
Is there a QuickBlade representative here who can advise on the best course of action for getting my paddle repaired or replaced?  During an otherwise uneventful but abbreviated 45 minute paddle session today, the handle sheared off from the shaft.  Quite the surprise.  Held onto the handle, and retrieved the rest of the paddle before it filled with water and disappeared. 

Purchased the paddle almost exactly one year ago, and have been very satisfied until today.  It was a top of the line paddle; carbon, very light.  I'll see if I can attach a photo from this new-fangled phone - that I'm still figuring out.

Thanks for any advice.

Glenn

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Broken handle on QuickBlade paddle
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »
Hi Glenn,
Take it back to the dealer you purchased it from, they will take care of you.
Quickblade handles are generally very strong, most likely it got fractured somehow, then broke under a light load.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »
Thank you Robert.

Unfortunately, I live on the East Coast, but purchased the paddle from a shaper-friend when I picked up my new board from him in SoCal a year ago.  Not a retail purchase, so I hate to trouble him with my problem and feel that it would be more appropriate to try to deal directly with the manufacturer.

Here's a photo of the paddle and broken handle.  With such a robust construction/design, it's surprising that the handle could shear off.  I'd like to think it's a function of my paddling strength, but I know better.   

Any advice on contacting QuickBlade directly?

Thanks,
Glenn

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
Hmmm, that doesn't look like a Quickblade. The covered handle does, but I've never seen fiberglass inside one of their handles. The shaft looks odd too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:03:54 PM »
Hmmm, that doesn't look like a Quickblade. The covered handle does, but I've never seen fiberglass inside one of their handles. The shaft looks odd too.

I could fill one sentence (maybe) with all I know about paddles, but if this isn't a QuickBlade, someone went to a whole lot of trouble and expense in the manufacturing process making it look and feel like one.  Here's another image I shot this morning showing a little more of the shaft and the qb logo.  If it still looks suspicious to you, please let me know and I'll take some more photos showing the whole thing, and without the light reflection/distortion from the shaft.

Thanks,
Glenn   

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
Ponobill,

I had a replaced handle in my quickblade and the plug handle had fiberglass as well. Just like the one in the picture.

You can actually order a replacement handle.
Then, you just have to be patient and sand the inside of the shaft until the new handle fits inside it.
It takes a while and you have to be extra careful with eventual pieces of carbon fiber going into your fingers!!!

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
Handle looks like it failed from fatigue. Makes me suspect it is fiberglass and not carbon and was flexing until it failed. Mail the handle to QB to see if it was the real thing. I, like Bill, suspect not.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »
i just repaired a adjustable quick blade for some one that had a similar problem the adjustable part was just one layer of carbon over glass  i gess they use different layups on the different paddles, maybe it was a cheap handle on a better shaft?

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:35:54 PM »
The EVA handles are made with fiberglass inside.  We had to replace one before that started creaking under pressure.  If you can't get QB to replace it, you can order the QB handles on our website ($6 flat rate shipping in the US):

EVA handle:
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com/product.php?productid=16591&cat=290&page=4

Carbon handle:
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com/product.php?productid=16590&cat=290&page=4

You may want to try the carbon handle, I think it's stronger.

We use successively larger wood boring bits to remove the broken handle inside the shaft, you need to be careful not to damage the shaft.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:38:54 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »
Thanks to all for weighing in. 

Robert - if Quickblade doesn't volunteer to take care of the repair, I will be putting in an order on your website for a replacement handle.  I appreciate the help.

Glenn

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
Robert--my QB is not broken, but if I wanted to change the handle from EVA to Carbon, how do I get the old handle off? Hairdryer?
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:50:38 AM »
We tried to remove the "creaking" EVA handle mentioned above by heating it with a hot air gun but instead of coming loose, it broke off and we had to remove the broken handle with the wood boring tools as described earlier.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Robert--my QB is not broken, but if I wanted to change the handle from EVA to Carbon, how do I get the old handle off? Hairdryer?

I've had no problems removing handles that were attached with 5 minute epoxy by heating with a heat gun. Seems to cause the epoxy to become almost brittle, then it just pops right out.
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »
Just replace the handle.  Its been over a year and somewhere the manufacturers have to be released from liability, otherwise, prices go up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal