Author Topic: Any info on sailing the S'Board Drive?  (Read 6199 times)

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any info on sailing the S'Board Drive?
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »
Anybody out there w/ experience sailing the Starboard Drive (10'5")?

I heard it can plane, though is slow by freeride standards.  Curious is this is true, or just an urban myth.  Guess it depends on how much rear rocker the board has...

If anyone has experience sailing it, post your impressions?  thanks -
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any info on sailing the S'Board Drive?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
There's one for sale in my area.  I wanted to check it out but this size doesn't have foot straps.  Rumors that it can plane?  Hmmm.  I may have to try it out and see if it does.  I'm trying to find the smaller Starboards that have footstraps or atleast reviews to find out if people are able to get in the straps and sail.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
To be perfectly honest it takes a TON of wind to get any windsurfing SUP to plane. They definitely do not need footstraps

This doesn't mean they aren't a TON of fun to sail in both flatwater & waves

And yes this goes for the SB Drive as well

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
To be perfectly honest it takes a TON of wind to get any windsurfing SUP to plane. They definitely do not need footstraps

This doesn't mean they aren't a TON of fun to sail in both flatwater & waves

And yes this goes for the SB Drive as well

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com
  I agree 100%. IF you want to CRUISE then they are fine. Otherwise buy a true windsurfer for speed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:40:26 AM »
I've got a '09 10'5 Drive that I've used for anything you can think of.  It is an excellent board to sail and the thruster setup gives lots of range paddle surfing waves too. 

I've never seen a wind SUP that will release like a windsurf board.  No matter how much power you have there is a lot of friction giving a draggy feel.  If you are going to wave sail you wouldn't want to be in any foot straps.  For flat water boards with straps may be ok but I've never missed them. 

titanium

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
I have windsurfing experience on the DRIVE, and basically agree with what others have wrote.

It is very easy to sail and good wave+wind rig. However it does not really plan. You dont get the "turbo" feeling at any stage.

Regardless, it is quite fast in medium wind, and super easy to turn on.

kanaka

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »
I have a 2012 Drive and found that the stock fin is too small to get it to release and plane.  Using a single fin setup, 10 inch fin and it releases quite well, however you have to windsurf the board flat, too much rear foot pressure with the pintail creates a lot of drag. Sailing it in 10-15mph wind with a 6.5 Ezzy Freeride.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal