Author Topic: Bark or Starboard  (Read 5077 times)

ROBB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bark or Starboard
« on: May 11, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
In chop what would be the best and or fastest .....12'6 Bark Competitor or 14ft Starboard Coastrunner AST.....Thanks

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bark or Starboard
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
2 different lengths, I would have to say the Starboard if only for that reason. What is your weight? The Barks are stable, stable, stable.

My brother owns a competitor and we recently did a demo on a carbon coast runner, I did not feel fast on it but was told I looked fast.

I am biasedthough, I love Barks

ROBB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
My weight is 143

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »
Best and fastest????

I'm guessing the 'fastest' might even be the shorter Bark but the 'best' will depend on so many different things.. Long distance paddles.. Down-winders.. and rough open water would probably make the CoastRunner the better board.. but for racing or flat water use.. Easy transport and storage.. and being able to race in any class including BOP races.. I would say the Bark might be the better broad.. They are very different boards and you should demo them yourself before buying if you can.

DJ

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
The coast runner is slightly faster than the Comp in flat water and about 5 % slower than the dominator.
As soon as there's a bump the coast runner rules!!
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:00:26 AM »
If you've been comparing speeds, any idea if the Coast Runner is faster than the new 14' Glide in flat water? 

Also, do you have an opinion whether the CR or Glide would be better for the light weight paddler (140-150 lbs) for catching smaller wind waves?

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:41 AM »
No way the coast runner is faster than the new glide in flat water.  It's also not going to be faster straight into the wind, but I think it performs better in most every other condition.     

For chop, I really like the CR.  The very soft rails on the front and the middle of the board really keep it from getting pushed around like other race boards with hard edges.  Side chop is better in that the soft rails keep the board from tilting with the rise and fall of the chop.  Into the wind is often better as well.  It's slower than a piercing nose when headed straight into the chop, for sure, but a lot of those boards will turn 10 degrees or more with every wave once they get the slightest angle off of dead into the wave.  The Coast Runner's soft rails allow it to keep it's line in those conditions. 

The Coast Runner has a bit of a wobble that takes some getting used to due to those rails, but once you get used to it it's pretty stable.  MY experience on the glide was that the rails give the impression of decent stability, right until you fall in.  The coast runner wobbles more but I don't get wet.   

Salish Salt

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 09:09:48 PM »
Yesterday: calm flat lake race; the Dominator came off the roof.
Today: 10 to 15 mph breeze, more catch, small white caps; the Coast Runner AST came off the roof.

Each is outstanding at what it does.  The CR get more use, the Bark gets paddled harder.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:09:52 PM by Salish Salt »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »
Today: 10 to 15 mph breeze, more catch, small white caps; the Coast Runner AST came off the roof.

Each is outstanding at what it does.  The CR get more use, the Bark gets paddled harder.

Any damage..  ;)

DJ

Salish Salt

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »

Any damage..  ;)

DJ

Just my slow time ;D.  Maybe 50 grit orbital the rails for a few hrs would help me.

bbarry

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »
I own both the 2011 lightweight version Bark 12'6" and the carbon coast runner.  I train quite a bit with a GPS and believe in flat water the CR is about 15 seconds a mile faster.  Rough water upwind and especially down the CR speeds up tons.  I have also paddled a 14' Dominator quite a bit and can easily hit <11:20 second miles flatwater.    My norm on the CR is 11:40 and my norm on the Comp is 12.  Again, this is flatwater, put in bump and the CR rules.

I am 61, 150# and fit for my age.  I do not have stability issues with either boards.   The Bark drafts great in flatwater races, but gets a bit tricky in swell as you need to be forward to engage the wave and then have to backpeddle quickly to get on the planing surface and pull that penetrating but directionally fixated bow out of the water.   About the only way to draft the CR is to mount the board in front of you because you have about 6" of bow sticking up out of the water.   Downwind, that all turns to magic and you are in full control of the CR rather than the Bark Comp where you go really fast where the board wants to go.   

Bruce in Seattle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal