Author Topic: I've seen the LIGHT  (Read 16079 times)

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
Re: I've seen the LIGHT
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
thanks spookini and Jim for all the great info!

once I'm able to carve out some time i'm going to try and track down an inexpensive rig and, i found a group in the area that gives lessons! it would be something cool to try out when its breezy and to switch it up a bit
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »
Very addictive, especially for old washed up windsurfers like me. I don't like all the rig fiddling that goes on with windsurfing. With SUP surfing I rig once and sail as long as I want to no matter what the wind does. I'm always either overpowered or underpowered and it just doesn't matter. Tons of fun and no rig fiddling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kanaka

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »
I windsurf a 2012 Starboard Drive with a Ezzy 6.5 Freeride.  I agree that without any kind of straps it's very difficult to carry rig an board to the water.  I've expoxied SUP  carrying handles on my board, which works perfectly for carrying the board with rig attached to the water.  It also makes for easier loading on my truck.

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
Very addictive, especially for old washed up windsurfers like me. I don't like all the rig fiddling that goes on with windsurfing. With SUP surfing I rig once and sail as long as I want to no matter what the wind does. I'm always either overpowered or underpowered and it just doesn't matter. Tons of fun and no rig fiddling.

I agree 100%, I picked up a used 12ft Starboard and got out on Saturday with my 7.3 Severne cruised the river. Today was marginal shortboard wind, so I rigged my 5.6 and had a ball on the SUP, while my shortboard buddies sat on the beach. Felt like I was back in 1987 again on my old Bic 250. Lovin' it.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
Hi,

since i have some new impressions in sailing SUPs i wanted to share my experience with you.
I begun my SUP/Longboard career in 2009 with a Tabou Windstyler Small, a quite good planer due to its steptail, but not really fun in turns and jibes because of its fat rails and very flat and negative rocker. Not suitable for SUP in chop and waves for me in that time (beginner) since only 70 cm wide.
In 2011 i changed that board for a RRD Wassup 10', much more stable for SUP, planing and turning was reasonable but needed much rider input and back foot pressure and i wasn't able to set the whole rail while turning, therefore slowing down in frontside turns. Positive was the possibility using straps and the sail carrying capability up to 9.0 sails and it was a good beginner windsurfboard for the family.
This summer i bought a JP Surf SUP 9'6" (intentionally for my son) but also tried it by myself for Wave-SUP and, wow, this thing rocks. It's much more turny on a wave and not prone to nosedive, despite being not much tippier than the Wassup. SUP Sailing in waves is a delight, since this board takes the speed in the frontside turns because the much thinner rails can be set on the whole length without much foot pressure. But for flatwater sailing it's not ideal, planing late and only taking sails up to about  6.2. With larger sails the mastfoot is too far back and you can't trimm the board for propper planing, standing either too far in front risiking catapults or too far back engaging to much of the tail rocker, slowing down the board immediately. The ride with my 8.5 sail was a permanent stop an go, i wasn't able to transform the sail power in speed (for the record: formerly i used to ride formula and big slalom gear). For learning with smaller sails the board should still be ok.
Since the JP is so fine for me WaveSupping and actually too large for my son, we sold the RRD and now have a Sealion Classic 7'6" x 30 in our stable. This board should work as SUP and advanced Winsurfboard for my sons (60 - 70 kg) and for me (88kg) as a freeride Windsurfer with a 7.0 and maybe also 8.5 sail and also for Wavesailing with smaller sails where it'll challenge the JP in this discipline.

Alex
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:38:12 AM by AlexFun »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal