Author Topic: I've seen the LIGHT  (Read 16035 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
I've seen the LIGHT
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »
The wife and I went back in time this weekend. A friend loaned us his 11'3 Mistral SUPs.
Simple things, like a longboard tack, is fun. Catching a wave is fun again.

I am so tired of all our gear being high performance. It left us with nothing to do on beautiful days, that lacked waves or wind. These 11'3s cured that!

One pump and caught it.

Simple pleasures.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: I've seen the LIGHT
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:30:22 AM »
Glad you've seen the light

Make SUP'ing in lightwind conditions (as opposed to Downwinding which is fun too) FUN

Enjoy

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:48:57 AM »
DW,
I know what you mean.  I sold my formula windsurf gear when I started boom boxing on my sailable SUPs.  1 board quiver for paddling and sailing.

http://obxbeachlife.blogspot.com/2012/05/hatteras-light-air-sup-wavesailing.html

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »
i have never windsurfed but live in a great place for it.  i now have 2 sups that have mast inserts…starboard cruiser 12'6 and fanatic allwave 9'2.  i hope to take some lessons and buy some used wind gear...
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »
Come to Kalmus Beach in Hyannis there's usually someone selling used windsurf gear.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »
i have never windsurfed but live in a great place for it.  i now have 2 sups that have mast inserts…starboard cruiser 12'6 and fanatic allwave 9'2.  i hope to take some lessons and buy some used wind gear...

12'6" is a great board for it. Get someone to teach you how to uphaul, or waterstart if there's enough wind, and have at it. You can use old junk for gear with big boards.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
Just one additional problem that needs to be addressed with SUP boards with a mast inserts.
Some boards have it, but most still don't.
Inserts for at least front footstraps.
A) it makes sailing the board much easier, and
B) you'll be able to pick the damn thing up!

Picking up the board w/ a sail on it is almost impossible w/o them, you'll have to drag the whole thing into the water, and then back out.  >:(
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
Nah, I don't use straps at all. I wax the pad and let it sit in the sun to bury the wax, then you stick like a gecko. I've been out in 30 kts without straps. It's part of the fun.

Even with a front strap these boards are too big and heavy to carry rigged up. I don't even try. I use a Euro extension connector instead of the US one. Much easier to get apart. Pop off the sail and make two trips.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »
Remember when Robbie Naish looped at big Mistral? It's been so long ago I can't think of the name of the board. Mistral Equipe?

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »
Just one additional problem that needs to be addressed with SUP boards with a mast inserts.

Picking up the board w/ a sail on it is almost impossible w/o them, you'll have to drag the whole thing into the water, and then back out.  >:(

+1

Naish, please listen!
Would like a Hokua 9'0 with windsurfing option.

cape kook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »

this how we want to carry a board and sail.

without a front strap, you end up dragging the board

and also, any old sail is not what you want - make sure it has no cams
---------------
Naish Glide 14'
Fanatic Allwave 9'10"
Starboard Avanti Supertanker

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
I agree with Cape Kook any old sail will work as long as it does NOT have any cambers

If you need any help with WS parts send me a PM We have tons of used equipment

JimK

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
hey Jim,

I have an older starboard 9'8 with an insert, i don't know much about windsurfing but would like to try to get a hold of a cheap sail, what does one go for?
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 09:01:34 PM »
Hey Reid:

That's great you want to sail your SUP -- I think more and more SUP'ers are going to want to do the same...

However, bear in mind the sail is only ONE piece of the equipment you'll need.  Also necessary are...

1. Mast base - threads into your SUP
2. Mast extension - connects to mast base, adjusts the length of your mast.
3. Mast
4. Boom w/ lanyard.

It's a bit of equipment -- the good thing is, especially "used", none of it costs too much.  You can probably pickup a decent used sail for $125-250 range.

Before you start acquiring the necessary pieces of gear, it's best to TAKE A LESSON.  Sailing a board (especially one w/o a retractable daggerboard) is not as simple as it might seem. An hour of instruction on the basics is pretty much priceless.  It'll also help you decide whether you want to start putting together a used sailing rig.

Also, you'll need some guidance in terms of gear.  Sail size gives you your power...  Boom and mast have to be sized compatible with your sail (or likely range of sails).  Most ppl will tell you SUPs sail best w/ a sail b/w 4.0m and 6.0m.  But on a breezy day, the difference b/w a 4.0 and 6.0 can seem huge.  Again, take a lesson and ask the instructor (or your local shops) for guidance on sail, mast, and boom sizing.

And...resist the urge to buy ancient cr*p off c'list.  Avoid old day-glo sails.  Try to find gear from the 2000's at least.

Check out iwindsurf.com (wsurf equivalent of the Zone).  Post in the 'Eastern US' forum.  Folks in your area will likely have gear they'd be willing sell (or even give away)...

Lastly, great timing:  the East Coast WSurfing Festival is being held on LI in a few weeks (June 9-10).  Go check it out!  WSurfer's are a nice bunch and want to spread the stoke.  No doubt they'd enjoy helping a SUP'er get into sailing...

-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
OK,

As most of you all know my shop is Extreme WINDSURFING although I love SUP I have in no way abandoned windsurfing. The Freeriding that goes on on Lakes  bay will always have me stoked on windsurfing...Windsurfing and SUP is a whole "other" form of windsurfing (and SUP'ing) For one thing they make TRUE wave sailing a daily reality here on the East Coast. That in itself is reason enough to windsurf your SUP.

Of course I sell windsurfing equipment and it works great...But to get started windsurfing SUP. I'm going to post here what I tell lots of folks who ask me. There are SUP rigs, there is high performance rigs but all you really need is a workable NON CAMBERED rig. Between 4.5 and 7.5M and picking one size over another is kind of a crap shoot they all work fine

I bet if you "put out the word"to your friends and associates someone has a rig "Cluttering" their lives and I bet it will work. The other places to look are Garage sales, Windsurfing swap meets (check our website www.extremewindsurfing.com for NJ/PA dates) And of course you can check out the consignment rack at your local windsurfing shop

The ONLY thing you need to buy NEW is a universal & base extension. The reason is You want to be SURE its threading doesn't cross tread the insert. And you need a base extension that matches the universal.

If I can be of any help feel free to contact me 484 515 5758

JimK

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal