Author Topic: Comical Review of my Naish Demo Day  (Read 2125 times)

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Comical Review of my Naish Demo Day
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
So, my GF and I finally got to go to a demo day since we began to SUP 4 months ago.  As beginners, we picked up some slightly used NSP boards that were too good of a deal to pass up, and our plan is to learn our skills on them, and try out better boards whenever we can, so that down the road, when a better board would actually benefit us, we'll know what we really want. 

Anyway, our local surf shop on beach here in Fort Lauderdale just became a Naish dealer and had a demo day.  Finally, someone around us was having a demo day!  We keep reading on the forum about demo days and it seems that they never happen here.  Of course, this was last Friday, which on the east coast of south Florida was a horrible day for any kind of paddling, never mind paddling on the beach.  It was a hard, swirling wind off of the water that seemed to slightly change direction every few minutes.  The water was pure slop & chop.  The Naish rep was unpacking brand new boards and looking at the water.  He looked at us and asked us how good we were in “surf” like that.  We answered that it was our first time SUPing in any surf, and that we were backwater paddlers up until now.  He smiled, and said, “good luck”. 

We didn’t care, we knew it would was going to be nasty, but hey, we took the day off for this!  All but 4 people who made reservations cancelled, so we had our pick of the boards and no time limit….good thing too.

We “tried” to paddle a Nalu 11.6, a Nalu 10, a Mana 10, a Mana 9, and a 12.6 Glide.

The boards were beautiful and they had latest deck pads, which were quite decorative.

We found that we fell off of each board equally well….over and over and over….

Oh, and those deck pads?  Well, I guess if we had to skills to even stay up on our feet they were probably great.   But the constant climbing back on them?  Well, they rough up the skin pretty good!

My GF is a trooper.  She got trashed as bad as I did, but she actually was able to ride in two times….two more than I did!  But, we didn’t care.  We had a great time, stuck it out, and learned how to fall properly at least!  Can’t wait to go again!
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

soulpaddler

Re: Comical Review of my Naish Demo Day
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:05:33 PM »
Glad you're still stoked!!!!! ;D

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
You bet!  I have boated and scuba dived/ free dived for eons, so while I'm not new to the waves and such, I have never surfed.  Until now, SUP has been backwater stuff, more for exercise and to paddle around downtown Ft Lauderdale for sun and fun.  We have been working on our stroke, trying to walk on the boards...all the skills stuff, but we have never gotten around to going off the beach.  Sure picked the wrong day to start...but if we both could have a hard time like that, still love it, and want to get back out again?  I"m happy with that.  We'll get better as time goes along...and yeah, it was rough and embarrasing...but it was so much fun and we have a blast busting on each other each time one of use went into the drink!
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »
"We found that we fell off each board equally well"....love it!

Your girlfriend sounds awesome.  What fun to have a partner that will get out there and share the experience with you. Keep enjoying yourselves.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
Maybe I can get Naish to give us a couple of boards in exchange for doing some advertising?  Be the regular joe noob?  Something like, "If all you're going to do is fall off your board, you might as well fall off of a Naish" ?
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »
Cool, learning on rough condition makes you a better SUPer faster plus it is naish/demo board so you can make all your mistakes on them w/o worry about damaging them.  I can't even count how many rail and deck dings i made when i was learning to surf on a SUP.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
Very true.  I would hate to take our boards out on day like that until we get a LOT better! 
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal