Author Topic: Glide vs M14 vs Shaka vs ...: differences among the 14's.  (Read 11082 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Glide vs M14 vs Shaka vs ...: differences among the 14's.
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »
Can any one weigh in on the essence of the difference between the:
1) Glide (Naish)
2) M14 (Jimmy Lewis)
3) Shaka (Angulo)
4) The comparable Starboard 14' downwinder
5) other boards in the same class
(all 14'...)

I am thinking particularly of the new Glide (27.5"), which I have demo'd and liked, and I think Angulo has a new Shaka (has anyone tried that?)
Thanks.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Glide vs M14 vs Shaka vs ...: differences among the 14's.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:59 PM »
This is a tough question to tackle because one could write a book on the differences.  I think a good place to start is the speed test the guys Downunder did on various 14' boards.  If someone has the link to that...?

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »
"one could write a book on the differences.  "

I would settle for two paragraphs.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »
The speed test is interesting, but mostly it focuses on times (speed).  Anyone have thoughts on width, design, rocker curve, etc., and how the performance characteristics differ from 14 footer to the next?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:02:35 PM »
The speed test is interesting, but mostly it focuses on times (speed).  Anyone have thoughts on width, design, rocker curve, etc., and how the performance characteristics differ from 14 footer to the next?

I agree.. It's not all about speed... Quality and finish.. Deck grip.. Handle.. and the feel of how it paddles is more important IMO.. and that feel may vary from person to person.. .... Demo, demo, demo... if you can.

DJ

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »
I can't demo very many different boards where I am. Would it be accurate to say that a Glide, an M14, a Maliko 14 (Foote) and a Shaka (Angulo) are all basically similar in design and concept? (and, if not, how do they differ).

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:10:51 AM »
I can't demo very many different boards where I am. Would it be accurate to say that a Glide, an M14, a Maliko 14 (Foote) and a Shaka (Angulo) are all basically similar in design and concept? (and, if not, how do they differ).

They are very different boards IMO.. Rocker, rail shape, thickness, bottom shape etc can make boards that look very similar in the plan shape and out line and even demenions actually very different in performance.

DJ

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:34 AM »
plane & trim

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
I think the posters on this board could give you some better feedback if you gave the conditions you wish to use the board for, your weight, relative experience with open ocean SUP, etc.

I have never seen an Angulo in person so I will not comment on that.  The Foote and the M-14 are designed for open ocean bump riding, and both excel at that. 

I had the previous version Naish 14 Glide.  Very good for short period bumps if you are going straight downwind.  A challenge in side wind or side chop.  I've never ridden the newer version but DJ has owned both and could better explain the differences.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 02:13:03 AM »
I own a Jimmy Lewis M14, a Angulo Shaka, and a Naish Glide 17. I have ridden the old model Naish 14, but don't have much experience with it, so I'll leave that to others to comment.

The Angulo and the M14 are completely different boards, as DJ says. The Angulo has much more rounded rails and is more of a constant thickness throughout. The M14 has the most amazing continuous rocker, with harder, tucked-under rails everywhere and very little volume in the nose. The Angulo is wider and heavier. The M14 is pretty light for its size. Both are tough, comfortable, well-made and look great. I got both of them at a great price too, much cheaper where I live (UK) than similar boards from e.g. Naish, Coreban, Starboard.

On the water, they are very different. The Angulo is STABLE. It is brilliant for starting out in downwind, or for when conditions get so choppy that you'd just be in the water constantly on anything else. The wilder the conditions get, the better it is. It is surprisingly easy and fast in howling downwind conditions, and is quite a flattering board because it is so forgiving. I never fall in on it, no matter how bad conditions get - and this is important when you live in a cold water place like I do.  On pure flatwater it is a comfortable cruiser, but is not fast. It would make a great day tourer or expedition board, as long as you weren't in any hurry. Good board for big guys too. It surfs surprisingly well, and can make tiny surf a lot of fun, as long as you are used to handling big boards. I use this board now mainly for lending out to friends who are starting out in downwinding (and they all love it), and paddling the wife and kids around in the summer. My wife loves the stability: it is the only board she has managed to stay on for more than 15 mins. If I was going to do some epic trek where conditions could be critical, I think this is the board I'd choose. It's like that 6ft 8" quiet-but-tough friend you have...reassuring to have along if situations are gonna get sketchy... I used a Bark Expedition for quite a while, and in my opinion the Shaka is a much better board all round in that role.

The M14...well, I'm biased because I'm currently having a full-on love affair with this board. I bought it because I wanted a DW board that was stable, but reasonably light, with a decent turn of speed in the flat, and, critically, was great paddling in cross-winds (most of my DW runs have significant cross-wind sections). It is all that, and better than I had hoped for. I am having an absolute blast with it downwind and in flat water chop. It may not be the last word in speed and performance if you are an elite downwinder, but in that case you'd probably already own a SIC or a custom. But for the rest of us, it is an easy board to like. The handling is very predictable and forgiving - none of the "opposite steer" type problems being talked about elsewere on this forum with other DW and race-type boards. You step back and turn, and it goes where you want it to go. It's like a big gun surfboard. But you do need to move around in order to get the best out of it - the Angulo is easier if you are newer to downwind and more leaden-footed. Don't bother using the tracker fin the M14 comes with for downwinding - it is a great fin for flat water but for proper DW you want something more upright. When not downwind, the M14 is the easiest board to paddle in cross-winds that I have ever tried, and it is maintains good speed in chop. In perfectly flat water, I am only about 3-4% slower than on my Dominator, which is pretty good for a downwind planing nose well-rockered board. But if you are interested in pure flat water paddling you probably wouldn't be asking about downwind/open water boards...

Both are, in my opinion, really excellent boards for their intended purpose. They are just so user-friendly.

I like the Naish 17 too, which is different again, but since you asked abut 14s I won't say anything about that.

Hope this helps.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
As long as there's a discussion of 14' downwind boards going on here,
has anyone paddled a JP-Australia Race 14 x 28"? (there is apparently a 14' x 25" flat water board too)

Area 10: thanks for the affirmation of the capability of the M-14, it's on the top of my must demo list.

David S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
I agree with Area 10 and would recommend demo'ing the M-14.  I tried one for the first time a couple of weeks back on a downwind run and was very impressed.  For a production board it feels extremely light, which helps its performance.

David, if you do demo the M-14 please give us your opinion as to that versus the Coast Runner.

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »
Try the new Hi-Per Tech 14 .
Hollow,carbon,fast,stiff,light,all the good stuff.
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:07:43 AM »
I use to have Hi-Per Tech windsurf boards years ago, loved them. Is this the same person Gary Foffinder <sp> I know I'm not even close with the name but is this the person making SUP's?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal