Author Topic: Fanatic 9’6 Allwave vs. Starboard Widepoint 9’5  (Read 25068 times)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fanatic 9’6 Allwave vs. Starboard Widepoint 9’5
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 11:07:05 PM »
@JimK -   for a guy my size 178 5'9 which AllWave would you suggest in East Coast beach break (Cape Cod)?  i have some sus experience…only on a 10'6 psh waa but felt it too corky and hard to maneuver.  Im thinking the 8'10 or 9'2 but not sure.

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »
Free,

The 9'2 might be the better call so you can get into those waves a bit earlier and you won't give up to much manueverability. Plus since you are coming from a kinda "cruisy" PSH a bit more length will help in your transition.

We'll have these on Thursday give me a PM or email if you are interested

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »
@JimK I currently use a 160 liter 9'8 Mistral Wave and want to change it to a more agile board on the waves. I weigh 83 kg (185 lbs) and we have here in Mallorca waves of around 1-1.5 meters (3-6 Ft) mostly wind generated. Do you think 9'2 Allwave wouldn't be much change, shall I maybe go for 8'2. But I don't want to choose a for small board which can't catch the smallish waves we have here.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
thanks Jim. i definitely want a board that will catch a ton of waves and help me be a better surfer and most of all have a ton of fun.  looks the 9'2 Allwave could be it. 

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
@JimK ~ how does the Allwave 8'10, 9'2, 9'6 compare for windSUPn? Or are they about the same.

it's not a huge factor in my decision but i am curious…thanks.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
to the OP.
I have only paddled the 9'5" Widepoint - and it has been awesome for me.
Took it to Tavarua a month ago and had a blast.
I am 200 lbs and even paddled it back to the island from Cloudbreak one day for kicks.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »
Free,

The 9'6 sails fine (meaning it is stable, goes upwind and wave sails nicely) but I gotta admit you will need a bigger (depending on your sail and application) trailing fin. The true thruster fins that come stock are perfect for the rail to rail ride wave ridding but as sailing set it it doesn't work.

The 8'10 I haven't sailed nor the 8'6 but these would be more than a bit on the small side for me

Free,

You interested in a AllWave they are in stock but going FAST!!! PM me or email

JimK

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »
@Jim - sent an email. thanks.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »
Hi guys,
Just signed up to be a Zone member after looking for info on a new board and finding lots of comparisons, and great info on here.  So I figured this would be a good first post. I am downsizing from my first board, an all arounder 11’6 x 32 x 5, looking for a smaller more surf friendly board for South Florida wind chop waves.

I have narrowed it down to the Fanatic 9’6 Allwave and the Starboard Widepoint 9’5.  Looking for any opinions either way on these two boards.  I like and need the width as I have demo’d some narrower boards and they were hard to balance for me in rough conditions.  I also like the idea of trying some windsurfing over the summer, as there are windsurf options on both.  There is also about a 20L difference in these two boards, what exactly does that mean in terms of performance or whatever on the board?
I’m 5’11 and about 180lbs.

Thanks for any feedback.

If the windsurfing option isn't a top priority, you may also want to check out our 9'6" x 32" Stoke Wide...however, we can also build this board in FeatherLite carbon and/or standard epoxy with a mast track as shown in attached pic...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/09/supsports-new-sup-models.html

We have a number of them out there on the East Coast...and, people are really stoked with their stability in the chop...better pricing...and, IMO...much better looking graphics, too...;-)

http://surfingsports.com/customer_testimonials.asp
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »
Rode the 9'6 vs the 9'10 Fanatic All Wave

I was surprised how similiar they are. The waves this morning were small but I found a spot that was clean water temp was 55F I wore a 4/3 wetsuit could have forgone the booties but I had them on so they stayed.

I could feel the 9'10 being a bit more stable than the 9'6. They both seemed to float me fine (I'm a BIG guy) Where I noticed the biggest (but it wasn't huge) the 9'6 seemed quicker off the bottom turn and you could pull up into the lip a bit faster. The 9'10 seemed to glide more off the bottom turn. Neither had trouble making the little beach break sections. I seemed to be able to put the 9'10 in the same spot as the 9'6 (which was kinda neat) just the 9'6 seemed to be a shade quicker.

After an hour on the AW's I thought I'd go up and get the Cabrinha 10'8 but after carrying both AW's up and the Cabrinha back down the tide came in (original sand bar stopped breaking) and it was now shorebreak and a wind shift chopped out the session.

So I guess I'll have to wait until next weekend to test the Cabrinha and the All Wave 9'10 (since I'm at school until next weekend)

Just my observations

JimK

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
Thanks again guys, for all the replies.  I ended up getting the Fanatic Allwave 9'6!!

I got it about a week ago and flat water paddled it a couple times and the ride was very nice.  It is very smooth and stable.  And just having a new board is always fun.  I felt like the size was good for me coming from a 11'6 x 32 x 5, that I am guessing is around 220 liters, so this board felt small for me. 

Well, today was the first time I had to take it out in some surf.  We had a 1-2 foot wind chop, and I had to give it a go.  What a difference from my all-around 11'6.    It was just coming off high tide, so I had to stand in the chop to wait for waves and the stability was perfect, as I bobbed up and down.  I pearled a couple times and instead of the board submarining deeper and me flying off the front, the nose popped up and I was able to get a few rides.  The board felt faster and I had more control than my other board.

I had a blast, and can't wait for more.  In case you can't tell, my surfing experience is limited and I feel this board still gives me room to grow.  Right now, I can catch a wave, but not really ride it.  I just stand up and ride the white water in.  The Allwave made me feel like I was riding the wave, (kind of) and can help me advance .  I kind of like the description of the Naish Mana 9'5 -"It"s an awesome first board for lighter riders in small surf", which is why I looked for something in this size.  My son (12) will also be using this board to learn to surf.  He was with me today and he had a great day.  I am a little better than him, but not for long.  He caught some of his best waves ever, compared to the bigger board.

All in all, very happy with the board, and highly recommend it.     

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »
Hey just a thought on pulling out of "Pearling" (nose diving)

besides the obvious "moving back" on the board

When I see a pearl occurring I initiate my desired turn (railing the board) and not only do I avoid pearling it also seems to "shoot" me out of the bottom turn even faster

Just an idea

JimK

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »
JimK,

Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated.  I am currently working on my turns. 

I figured out the "obvious" last year on my bigger board after a few nose dives and huge projectile sup flying through the air and covering my head for dear life episodes.  After I got that down, it really started to get fun.

So I am open to any and all advice.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard