Author Topic: Fanatic 9’6 Allwave vs. Starboard Widepoint 9’5  (Read 25069 times)

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Fanatic 9’6 Allwave vs. Starboard Widepoint 9’5
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »
Hi guys,
Just signed up to be a Zone member after looking for info on a new board and finding lots of comparisons, and great info on here.  So I figured this would be a good first post. I am downsizing from my first board, an all arounder 11’6 x 32 x 5, looking for a smaller more surf friendly board for South Florida wind chop waves.

I have narrowed it down to the Fanatic 9’6 Allwave and the Starboard Widepoint 9’5.  Looking for any opinions either way on these two boards.  I like and need the width as I have demo’d some narrower boards and they were hard to balance for me in rough conditions.  I also like the idea of trying some windsurfing over the summer, as there are windsurf options on both.  There is also about a 20L difference in these two boards, what exactly does that mean in terms of performance or whatever on the board?
I’m 5’11 and about 180lbs.

Thanks for any feedback.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fanatic 9’6 Allwave vs. Starboard Widepoint 9’5
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:07:02 PM »
go wide.   you will be happy .  more stable   and I would go with the higher  volume faster paddling I would lean toward the fanatic. but both are good boards.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUP Sports ฎ

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ฎ
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ฎ
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
As far as volume is concerned...you definitely don't need 174 liters at your weight...

I'm 200# and I can dance on a 150 liter board...

We have a couple of the silver AST versions in stock...a bonus is that they have foot strap inserts...in addition to being able to lean back and take more power from your sail, a front strap also helps getting in and out of the water easier with board and sail rig attached...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/11/2012-starboard-wide-points.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ฎ
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sportsฎ  &   SurfingSportsฎ.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies. 

I was able to demo the Fanatic 9'6, and liked it, but haven't been able to try anything smaller yet.   It is kind of a big jump down for me going from 11'6 to 9'6 or smaller, but I'm up for it.

There's lots of demo's around, but they are all in the 11' and 12'  boards.  I know there's some demo's coming up soon, hopefully they'll be showcasing their smaller boards.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
Deadbait
I bought a 9'6 Allwave 2 weeks ago and I LOVE it.

Like you I learned on a big board. I was surfing a 11'2 x 36 Starboard Avanti as a first SUP... but I was 295 lbs... great first board and it surfs amazingly well for it's size. I surfed and paddled my way to 233lbs and was ready for a much smaller board.... the 9'6 Allwave

I spent 5 months of trolling forums for info on the Fanatic Allwave. I got lots of great info on the Australian site "seabreeze"... happy with that... I bought the 9'6. Go there and searh for the Allwave... LOTS of replies to my queries.

I had previously paddled the Starboard 10'5 wide point and the 9'8 Element. Although I could paddle both with out too much problem... I found them somewhat tippy and tiresome. I think the difference for me was the nose width... a little narrow on the wide point... but then I am quite a bit heavier than you. I never surfed the Starby's.

My first day on my 9'6 Allwave was in small point waves... never fell off once and it surfed great for gutless little waves... I could feel how easily it turned and actually pumped down the line and generated some speed from the mushers... noserides pretty well also.

I flatwater paddled the board 3 times... each for at least 2 hours... just to get to know it. It was stable and surprisingly respectable on long paddles. For such a curvy outline it did not yaw too much. I enjoyed these paddles on my "shortboard" :)

Two weeks of crap waves and then this Wednesday I got to see what it was made of!
Head high+ zipper tubes ending in a pounding shorebreak.... waves like this is the reason I bought the Allwave. They would have been very dangerous on my Avanti... ask me how I know... :P ... I was used to getting the crap beat out of me riding a board that just did not fit into sucked up thumpers... It was more suited to point waves.

The Allwave was perfect!  I could get in with no trouble... pump hard and fast down the line and exit with numerous fly away kickouts to avoid damp sand beatings. I felt like I was on a shortboard again... No snickers here boys... It truly felt quicker rail to rail, than my high performance 9' longboards used to.
The fish shape and curvy outline makes it loose and agile. I was able to accelerate out of the turns and the full rails held fast on every wave.... I never missed a takeoff and made a lot of waves.... not slotted and cruising, but turning hard and working the wave. The board NEVER slipped or let me down in any way... I am psyched! That is exactly why I bought it. ;D

As far as the 9'6 being more volume than you need... that might be, however... it surfs MUCH smaller than it's size and if you got one that was more than you need for your weight... I think you would love the stability and wave catching ability of slightly too big...and I do NOT believe you would be unhappy with its performance.

They are LIGHT... I weighed mine with the bathroom scale/holding the board... scientific method... came up with 23 lbs.

They are extremely well built... everyone in OZ says so... and I can't find one paddle mark or dent anywhere on the board after paddling or surfing everyday for 2 weeks.... NO paint to chip ;D

The deck grip is EXCELLENT... it goes right to the rails and is comfortable and GRIPPY.
The stomp pad is perfectly placed and substantial. I  bought some "Hula Dek" roll on deck grip for the nose... easy to apply, super grip and invisible.

The nose on the Allwave is wide but surprisingly thin for a fairly thick board... perfect swing weight, board whips around like a pointy model... but more stable and you can noseride it.

The fins are a true thruster set up, sporting 5" side bites and 5 7/8" center. loose and positive.

The deck is extremely flat... great for stability

The bottom carries a "V" from near the nose through the tail which makes it very rail to rail.

The nose kick is not as strong as I would like. I buried it on a few takeoffs while leaning forward and stroking hard... BUT I was able to pull it out in every case and make the rather critical drops.

The board rides very well from a fixed stance with the back foot on or near the Stomper and the front foot fairly close to the centerline. Just pump and go.

I can't wait to get it into some point waves where I can surf more over the face instead of down the line... In fact I was so excited Wednesday... after 3 hours in zipper shorebreak... I drove 3.5 hours out of state, to try some point waves. They were lack luster waves BUT I was able to try some cutbacks and rebounds off the soup... this is going to be a GREAT board.... a 14 hour marathon surf day from 6am to 8pm ;D ;D

I bought the board from JimK at Extremewindsurfing in Atlantic City N.J.
www.extremewindsurfing.com
He is an extremely knowledgeable and excited to talk SUP.
He offers discounts to fellow Zoners.
His prices and service are fantastic.
He KNOWS boards... from surf to paddle to exactly the construction layup schedules.

I'll include some shots I took to show some of the boards features.

I hope my impressions help anyone interested in the Allwave... feel free to PM me with any questions.

Deadbait, Good luck with selecting a new board and let us know what you get.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »

I bought the board from JimK at Extremewindsurfing in Atlantic City N.J.

After doing research, I put a new 2012 AllWave 9'10" 191L version on order from JimK...should be arriving soon. Psyched to try it out!

MAX
9'10" AllWave (soon)
11'6" Amundson

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34:50 AM »
Thanks guys

I'm glad it is doing everything you expected Rik I knew it would

Mike and I are awaiting our 9'10's I hope it rides as nice as the prototype did...I'm sure it will!

The difference between the WP and the Allwave is kinda significant. The WP is a more powerful wave board (more rocker, pulled in nose (ie template curve) The AW is a a "Fish" shape very rail to rail generates speed if you surf it that way. It catches waves better and in our EC mushy surf the AW really shines. The cool thing is that the AW works GREAT right out of the box (components are perfect and there is little to no getting accustom to it time) Construction is AMAZING.

lastly, the AW is significantly less $$$ than the SB. Which is a factor in any discretionary purchasing decision.

As you all know I sell (both) but The AllWave is the most popular design this year

JimK

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:09:02 AM »
Jim..... you know you're only slowing down my paddle purchase by tempting me w/ the Fanatic.....argg!!   ;D  How would you compare the 9'6" AW to my Mana 10 in terms of float / stability?  How bout nose riding?  That is one downside of the Mana.  You can also let me know the comparison in other aspects - thanks
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:38:27 AM »
Wow, guys!  

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Supthecreek - What a great review, thanks.  I checked out the Seabreeze site and got lots of great info there too.  Some of that is exactly what I was looking for.

JimK - Thanks for the pointing out the differences.  Since I will be surfing mostly mushy surf, you really nailed it on the head when you said  "It catches waves better and in our EC mushy surf the AW really shines."

I am really leaning towards the Allwave at this point, but I think I want to demo the 9'2 because of my weight and see how that works for me.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »
CR Traveler,

I don't mean to hold up a paddle purchase (Hopefully you will buy from us) but here is my analysis  of the Mana and the Fanatic AllWave

It actually is pretty simple
The Mana 10 ft is a nice cruisy waveboard nice down the line with reasonable wave catchingDoes everything pretty well. In a smooth flowing style.

The Fanatic AllWaves are a completely different (but in a good way) This is a "FISH" design meant to be ridden rail to rail to generate intense speed. These are not "Cruisy" in anyway. The AW is loose and fast. I requirers an aggressive style and using the paddle further pushes the manuevers.

The Mana may catch waves easier (6"longer means something) but once you get the AW on the wave you can put it anywhere on the wave with speed!
The perfect wave setup for summer is the AW and a Kenalu Wiki they will make your SUP surfing quicker.

To be honest there are special deals on board & paddle deals  PM or email me for details

JimK

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »
Thx Jim. How does the rocker compare w the mana....in my opinion, the manas aggressive nose rocker is great for late drops and keeping the nose dry on takeoffs....it does however, kill a lot of the glide of the board, making it necessary to paddle a bit harder to catch a wave early, especially in off shore winds. The rocker also limits how well the Mana nose rides.....the tail pops out of the water when you get on the nose because of the leverage.  How would the AW compare in these areas?  I would also of course consider the 9'10....  (and yes, the paddle will be coming from you....:).    Thanks

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4uq1fp
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 07:02:31 AM »
I have a mistral wave 9'8 150liters and want to change with a more surf oriented board. Has anybody tried the 8'10 version of Allwave? Any comments? I weigh 83 kgs and have no balance problems on Mistral.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »
viatormundi
Check out Paul "Jacko" Jackson surfing the 8'10  Allwave in OZ

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06:39 AM »
Thx. I saw the video in the seabreeze forum and it is impressive.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
FYI

The All Waves will be in stock (in our shop) by next week

If you wanna demo or wanna check them out stop by or call/ email me

these are amazing boards I can't wait to get out on them!

JimK

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard