Author Topic: Beginner SUP surfing ???  (Read 10094 times)

SUPsurferFL

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner SUP surfing ???
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »
I'm someone who comes from prone-surfing as well, i'm turning 31 next Sunday and started SUP surfing a little less than a year ago. I was out of shape and discouraged with short boards when I got my SUP due to shoulder injuries and making excuses. Since getting into SUPing I have gotten addicted and have taken my fitness a lot more seriously and NOW I make it a point to take out my other boards too. I have a McTavish performance LB and a WVR Fish i like to bring out and if the conditions are right i'll take both SUP and prone surf boards and will take turns on them.

I still find both very fun and to they go hand in hand, and at the end of the day it's all about catching waves, and the more in shape i get from SUP surfing, the more I want to take out my shorter boards and get back to where I use to be physically and skill wise. I'm not ready to give up prone-surfing, I'm more interested in being good at both, and having the option to go back and forth between boards has been the best thing for my progression.

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »
If you want a good hard workout for your arms, shoulders, & back, with even the possibility of injury, buy a cheap heavy paddle.
Otherwise, follow the instructions above.
Have fun!
Fixed it.   ;)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »
Hey Fish,

49 years old, 6-1, around 250, Weekend warrior kneeboarder/longboarder surfer since 13, SUP since 2010.

I'm not inclined to sell my 10-0 Weber Stylist or 9-0 Performer, but there aren't many conditions that I would go prone vs sup, other than beach restrictions or perhaps a cold offshore where I'm blown off the top of waves.  But there are days where a relaxing prone paddle out, sit down, and surf just seems nice.  The more crowded breaks I'd probably just choose to surf vs. sup, based on crowd aggro and or air temps.  Otherwise, SUP is easier on the body, offers a higher catch rate, more enjoyable, and I have a better time in mediocre to poor surf.  Even the paddle out is fun.

My wife has started her SUP career recently at for someone who had difficulty going from a wave she caught to standing and surfing, she finds SUP infinitely more enjoyable.  The YMMV comment is dead on though.  You can't know how it fits till you try.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
Yeah i think i'll keep my 9'6" Walden Magic for now. It took a long time to find that board used.
My oldest son still has my (at least it use to be mine) 6'4" shortboard so... i'll dream about getting back in shape enough to maybe one day rip again on a shortboard :-\

I must tell you i am getting pretty excited about this adventure into the SUP world :)
Joe Blair was telling me about his SUSurfing Table tops PR this past winter. He said it was unreal good conditions for six weeks straight. Table tops was my back yard literally for 2 years in my youth. Just thinking about the possibilities of SUSing a place like that is crazy exciting and he is 60 something. Even in my prime that wave scared me.

What's "YMMV" ?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

bretrwarner

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »
Just wanted to back everyone else up. I have seakayaked and surfed most of my life. I got my first sup almost two years ago and in that time I have sold every remnant of both kayaking and prone surfing. Except my whitewater helmet, because maybe one day I'll sup a river again.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »
YMMV=Your Method May Vary.  Found on the Internet, when I wanted to know.
As someone said in the past, TTFN.  I hope that's right...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
Actually it's Your Mileage May Vary--a takeoff on the car commercials meaning your results might not match mine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:57 PM »
Fishman
You have gotten a lot of great advice from all these guys, they have said it all.
I can only add my personal story.
I am 64
I was NEVER interested in SUP... in any way... I was a dedicated surfer for 47 years and that was that.... until I decided to get one... just for tiny summer days....
Haven't been on a prone board since ::)

When there was no surf, I found that I really like flatwater exploration on bays and rivers.
I have surfed or paddled almost daily since my first ride in July 2011.
Starting weight was 295
Current weight  is    235
I finally found an exercise that was ADDICTING... my weight loss and overall conditioning will continue to improve as long as I can paddle...
Surfing NEVER achieved that... and I surfed year round... just about every swell, since 1964

I stay out hours longer on my SUP
I dawn patrol all the time
I get geometrically more waves... and they are more fun on a SUP... maybe because it is mastering a new aspect of surfing.
It is oddly engaging in a way that is hard to impart.

SUP folks are happy, wonderful people to be around... feels like the old surf days when we were all brothers linked by a love of the sport.

PLUS... Atlanta has water... and where there is water... there is SUP  ;D

And JimK is a great resource... knows his stuff, loves to talk SUP and will give you the best deal you can get. I drove 400 miles each way to pick up my last board from him and it was WELL worth it. Just click his link...

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »
Thanks to PC & PB, now you know why I majored in math.   :D

JT

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »
1) I took out my prone surfboard once in the past year. I did so because I wanted to surf a localized, anti-SUP point break without encountering any aggro.

2) In theory, I might want to be on a prone surfboard in hollower waves. Likely easier to squeeze into some tubes. And given the odds of getting worked, I'd rather go through the spin cycle attached to a short prone surfboard than get flailed by a SUP and paddle. In practice, I'll probably still be on a SUP.

3) I think SUPs are more efficient than prone surfboards. That is, the paddle is more efficient than your palms; the SUPs typically have more volume than prone surfboards. However, this doesn't necessarily translate into less fatiguing in an absolute sense.  As you allude to, if you end up catching more waves (and paddling farther) on a SUP, you could end up as tired if not more so. And of course, standing itself involves non-trivial effort, especially in less than-ideal-conditions. But, most of the effort is low impact, so your body may feel wrecked at the end of a session, but, importantly for the older among us, it probably won't literally be wrecked. That said, I keep Advil in the car...and stronger stuff at home.

So, bottomline for me: I like to have both SUPs and surfboards, but if I only had the former it wouldn't affect me too much.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:00:01 AM by JT »

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
SUPTHECREEK

Thanks for the props I just LOVE all things SUP. Glad I could help you. It was REAL fun to meet you in person!

I REALLY wanna know how you are getting on with the Fanatic AllWave 9'6

Inquiring minds really wann know

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal