Author Topic: Starboard Widepoint 9'5 vs. RRD Wassup 10'  (Read 12636 times)

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Widepoint 9'5 vs. RRD Wassup 10'
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »
My current Board is a RRD Wassup 10'.
With this board windsurfing really means planing if using a 30 cm+ fin is used.
Sail used go from 8.5 down to 5.3 KA Sails.
But the Wassup lacks some SUP Surfing abilitys because it lacks nose rocker and has a fat tail.
Now i'm thinking of changing to a Starboard Widepoint 9'5 because i think this board is the better waverider.
Has anyone tried this board for planing windsurfing, playing also with bigger fins and maybe using the footstraps.
I saw pictures at wardog's HP where there were two plug rows for the back straps, is this standard?
Additional questions:
Has anyone ever measured the rockerlines of the boards to examine the planing potential?
Does anyone know other SUP boards that plane in windsurfing mode?
Do Kite Surfboards have different rockerlines to normal Surfboards to get them planing?
If not, why do they plane?

eabmoto

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Widepoint 9'5 vs. RRD Wassup 10'
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »
The RRD Wassup and soon the Exocet sup are the only sup boards that I know of that are made to plane well under sail power.  I don't know exact numbers, but I think any board that planes easely won't surf well.  If you want to do everything on one board there will always be compromises.  I would guess the wassup surfs fine and and it sounds like it's a great sail board.  All my experiance is with surfing so I went with a board that surfs well and sails fine but I'm sure someone with a windsurfing background would think it was too slow and took too much effert to get planing.  It's worth it to me to only have one board in my truck and I'll be ready for anything.  Where are you sailing and surfing?  That's also a big factor.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:20:40 PM »
Hi eabmoto,
which new exocet do you mean?
I'm sailing und suping the wassup from our local river and little lakes up to atlantic waves in portugal an brittany in my holidays.
Sailing on flat water means an 8,5 or 7,0 sail, aiming for planing. In the waves it's a 6.2 sail, slogging out and catching/riding waves on the way in.
Compared to big windsurfboards the wassup lags a little early planing and speed, but that doesn't matter to me as it's only "little".
Should it be more lag than with the wassup i wouldn't be to happy with that, meaning i would reconsider using a SUP as an light wind windsurf board.

Alex

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »
I tried a 8.5' Wassup in flat water with a 4.8 sail in 22-25knt winds.  Fun board up on plane and very comfortable at full speed. I want to try it and also the 10' version in the waves with a sail and a paddle.  The flatter rocker line may take some getting used to but it should translate into a little more speed accross the wave.

I've SUP sailed the following boards in flat water and waves
-9'6 Fanatic Fly
-9'2 Fanatic ProWave
-12' Naish Glide (FAST, FAST, FAST)
-12' Starboard Big Easy(WAY TO EASY)
-11'3 Amudson Aquaglide. (BEST all around so far)

I'm looking forward to trying many more. I replaced the smaller SUPs with a windsurf board.  Still looking for the right volume/ size do everything SUP :)

eabmoto

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
Exocet calls it the windsup, you can see it on there website.  Have you seen the AHD sealion?  They have 2 sizes, 7'6 and 9'.  From what I've seen and read it planes pretty early and paddle surfs pretty good.  I have a starboard extremist which I like a lot, but they don't make it any more and I think all the newer paddle boards tend to have more rocker, nose and tail. 

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
Consequent concept Exocet is doing with their Windsup. Just a little too long and heavy for my taste. If they would make a little brother in the 10' range without daggerboard this would be a real alternative for me. (Maybe kicking out the 10'5 and 9'5 Konas)
The question remains, how this board would behave as a SUP on the wave compared to my 10' wassup.
Maybe i have to accept that the Wassup is already as good as a compromise SUP/Windsurf board can be.
Sealion is an interesting concept, but footstraps (minimum for the front foot) are a must for me, as carrying the board in and out of the water get's "clowny" without them.

Alex

eabmoto

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can get the sealion with foot straps if you want.  The RRD diamond tail boards look more interesting to me for a surf board and I think they plane as well as the wassup.  Leaning towards the windsurfing side of the spectrum, I would think the RRD boards would be as good as anything.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:39:12 AM »
The Wassup V2 will get no more footstrap plugs, only the remaining V1 shapes 10' an 8'5"
Seems like nobody really wants them.
Besides the exocet only Starboard remains in putting strap plugs in their boards (AST silver sub 10').
http://www.a-o-sports.com/SUP/wassup.htm

Alex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal