Author Topic: Extra paddle handle  (Read 3552 times)

TortillaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Extra paddle handle
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »

Is anybody using a second paddle handle to get a 'low gear' for upwind or sprints?

This looks a lot nicer than gripping the paddle shaft with top hand... I would put 2nd handle about 10-12 inches from the top.  Extra cool if second handle position can be quickly adjusted or removed completely.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Extra paddle handle
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
LOL   ::)  Sorry that video kills me.  The last one he did of the double blade paddle was a classic as well.  I keep waiting for the words BAD IDEA to flash on the screen like in the paid survey commercial for the neck basket or flavor saver.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:45:23 PM by 808 »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »
My mum used to tell me if you can't say anything good don't say anything at all.. So I won't be saying much.. ;D

I wonder how Pono Bill is going with his version?

DJ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:30:41 AM »
Yeah, that's just too complicated and it leaves your arm in the same position. I've got a prototype of a straight handle that lets you do the same thing and brings your arm in vertical, which both rests your shoulder and helps with wind. Lacey's idea on Seabreeze. Needs some refinement still, but it's coming.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 02:32:26 AM »
I didn´t knew John Bon Jovi was a SUPer!!!

Flowman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »
Tortilla,

Apparently you've seen Connor Baxter choke up on his paddle - for over half of some races.  It's easy to see that such a position has its advantages.  Without a horizontal handle of some sort the paddle flutters however, so I'm surprised he can maintain that position.  He's obviously tailored his technique to this phenomenon.  Having a simple lightweight handle which adjusts up and down the shaft (but stays put once you have it set) feels very natural, while giving you incredible power for sprints. 

A company is picking the idea up, so you will be seeing it by summer.  The concept is quite a bit more refined than the first prototype shown in the video.

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
I hope it's not a flesh colored protrusion like in the video, or I won't get near it.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
To deal with strong upwinders i face frequently (and enjoy ::)) this is what i did:

I placed tennis racket grip below the T grip seam with the shaft, down to about the width of my hand or a bit more.

As guide for lower hand position, i used the "paddle over head horizontal, one hand on T grip and the other on the shaft to get 90 degrees bend at the elbows" (saw it on a video by Jim Terrell).

Then, i place the tennis racket grip down on the shaft, using Mr. Terrell's guidelines as mid position, up and down the shaft one full hand grip wide.

This gives me 4 grip
positions.... and several gears: (all standing up)

Top hand at T grip, lower hand at uppermost or middle in the shaft.

Top hand at shaft, lower hand at middle or lowest position in the shaft.

I found that, after some practice, the fluttering encountered when grabbing the shaft below the T grip is easily controlled...my paddle's shaft is round, so an oval shaft may be easier to control. The first stroke after changeover needs some trimming if one bypasses the T grip altogether...
Using the shaft as top hand grip reduced issues in my shoulder and wrist.

I wouldn't install the grip shown in the video in my paddle though....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:58:03 PM by balance_fit »
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

lamontweaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
I hope it's not a flesh colored protrusion like in the video, or I won't get near it.

On first glance I too thought it was a dildo, maybe for going backside. Seriously, this guy needs a girlfriend. Too much time on his hands.

Flowman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »
No need to worry about a "fleshy" appendage on the new version.  It's carbon fiber and bears no resemblance to any body part.  I guess I need to be more cautious about posting pictures of first prototypes.  

In terms of ergonomics, the "VarioPaddle" grip can be used with the wrist transverse to the shaft, or parallel.  It doesn't protrude very far, so the top hand slips over it smoothly during transitions.  It attaches/detaches to any shaft, but generally stays on the paddle once it's set.  It may not be for everybody, but it certainly broadens the range of options.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:16:03 PM by Flowman »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal