Author Topic: Tips for Beginners  (Read 49964 times)

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips for Beginners
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
Point taken, headmount.  Good boy that I am, I forgot about the visceral satisfaction that comes from screaming expletives on the high seas.

In the spirit of Peter Venkman "Actually, it's more of a guideline than a rule." ;)

Happy f@#king paddling, Pottymouth!

Those of us inland have to remember sound carries across likes pretty well. Every Memorial Day we do a big "camping" trip next to a small lake. A woman in one of the groups that goes up with us has issues with fishing. She really really really needs to catch a big fish. Every time she hooks one and loses it everyone around the lake can hear her cussing and ranting. The first time her husband nearly fell out of the boat because he knew she had no idea that the whole campground could hear her.  I am looking forward to seeing what new phrases she comes up with this year.  ;D

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 02:13:33 AM »
I sometimes yell and curse after a stupid move, but I do it underwater, so nobody can hear ;D
I find that if I get too upset with myself, I screw up even more.  So, if that happens, I try to breathe, relax and just have fun and everything starts to flow better.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »
It's so loud where we go, it sounds like you're standing behind a 747 all the time.  PBill says stuff to me when we're 10 feet away and I just nod like I can hear him.  So it's as virtually inaudible  as Blueplanet's underwater yell which I also do. 

But yeah you have to swear without emotional attachment.  It's a beautiful thing.  Gets you to exhale.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »
I have a hard time distinguishing expletives from normal vocabulary. After six fucking years in the fucking navy it's pretty automatic.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

nepaddlesurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Bic Sport Stand Up Paddleboards
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »
Here's the link to my SUP Instructional series that's beginning to roll out at SUPTV: http://www.youtube.com/user/StandUpPaddlingTV?feature=watch
Most of these videos are geared towards beginners.  One new video each week for the next 3-4 months. 
Jimmy Blakeney
BIC Sport SUP product & marketing manager
ACA SUP Instructor Trainer

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »
That was a nice video, nepaddlesurf, well made, and informational.

I'll be looking out for more.

mittenkitten

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »
Speaking of wind blown and choppy days... how do you best keep your board from being turned around when attempting to go into the wind??? I've been using the explicative method but it doesn't seem to get me very far, ha!
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »
Speaking of wind blown and choppy days... how do you best keep your board from being turned around when attempting to go into the wind??? I've been using the explicative method but it doesn't seem to get me very far, ha!

Try choking down on the paddle and bending your knees and back a bit. Especially reach down with your lower hand but bring the top hand down as well. Holding the shaft vertically with your upper hand drops your elbow down and catches less wind (it matters). With your lower hand well down on the shaft you have a bit better leverage and you can angle the paddle more effectively to steer.

Change hands often, don't let the board veer too much. Once it start going you have greater and greater area exposed to the wind and it's much harder to bring it back--keep it as straight as you can, even if that means swapping every two strokes.

Shuffle forward on the board as far as you can comfortably stand and balance. The expanse of board behind you is like feathers on an arrow. And pushing the nose down give the wind less area to shove around. Stay low, paddle hard, and keep cursing.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mittenkitten

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »
Thanks PonoBill - it's funny that I actually found myself doing some of the stuff you mentioned (moving forward to push the nose down, constantly switching hands to stay straight). I'll have to try choking down on the paddle and maneuver as you described  - I've found myself going down to my knees a couple of times just to try and "hunker down".  I'm 112 lbs if I'm lucky, so sometimes I just feel as if I'm at the mercy of the wind weather I like it or not!
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung...

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 06:38:49 AM »
When you choke down, the paddle will want to flutter some.  The way to stop this is to extent the index finger upward somewhat.  Still use the same light grip. 

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:51:22 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
Take a lesson or ask someone who you trust and respect go with you for a short paddle.  Generally all you need are a few good tips and you should be fine.

Here is a brief list of oldies but goodies:
1.    Use a stable board
2.    Start in flat water
3.    Stand at the centre balance point of the board
4.    Use a paddle length that is comfortable for your height
5.    Stand relaxed in an balanced stance
6.    Look at the horizon and not at your shaking feet
7.    Start paddling and learn how to turn and stop
8.    Take a break - smile and relax
9.    Repeat

So many have learned just by following these tips.
Yes - beware it can be addicting and a ton of fun!

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »
Here is another SUP Tips for beginners video:  Falling in safely, flipping the board over and getting back on.
https://youtu.be/FyQsaE-wZWc
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 02:56:35 AM »
If you are just starting out and you go for a flatwater paddle with the intention of returning to the spot you put in, always paddle upwind from your starting point. Even if the water looks glassy, always check the wind forecast before heading out.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:58:31 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 06:46:10 AM »
Thanks PonoBill - it's funny that I actually found myself doing some of the stuff you mentioned (moving forward to push the nose down, constantly switching hands to stay straight). I'll have to try choking down on the paddle and maneuver as you described  - I've found myself going down to my knees a couple of times just to try and "hunker down".  I'm 112 lbs if I'm lucky, so sometimes I just feel as if I'm at the mercy of the wind weather I like it or not!
Take a look at your fin. If it has any of these three things, it will make the board tend to weathervane much more, and will make quartering wind and waves harder: 1. A long base (the bit that goes into the box).
2. A lot of rake (i.e. is swept back).
3. Has a lot of surface area.

The most significant of these is the length of the base in causing weathervaning. Long base, high area fins anchor the tail of your board, meaning that side on winds and waves will act more on the nose than the tail, tending to turn you downwind. A smaller, narrower-based fin pushed forward in the finbox will make quartering wind and waves significantly more easy. The trade-off is less tracking and perhaps stability but unless you have real problems in that area, it's a sacrifice most people find worth making. Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal