Author Topic: Please recommend SUP for beginners. What is diff b/t 1 fin vs 3 fins?  (Read 31228 times)

wildbull

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
My wife an I have done SUP a couple times and we are interested in getting a couple boards.  We will mostly do smooth water paddling on a lake for exercise, but I would consider at some point trying to do some beginner surfing.  She is not interested in surfing.  She wants to get 2 Jimmy Styx-Beavers sold a Costco for about $700 each.

http://www.jimmystyks.com/beaver.html

My concerns and questions are:
1-Is this a cheap quality board?
2-Is it too heavy?
3-It only has one fin.  The boards we've rented in the past had 3 fins.  For the type of paddling we plan on doing, is it better to have 1 fin or 3 fins?

I am 6' 02" 195lbs.  She is 5' 02" 125lbs.  I was looking at the following boards:
For her- Starboard Blend http://www.star-board-sup.com/2012/product/blend-11-2-30
For me Starboard Big Easy http://www.star-board-sup.com/2012/product/big-easy-12-0-32

The Starboards are significantly more expensive, which I am OK with.

I am looking for some beginner board recommendations, an opinion on the Jimmy Styx Beaver board and an opinion on the Starboards I have mentioned, if they are good for beginners who will mostly use it for exercise on a smooth lake with possibly some beginning surfing.

soulpaddler

Re: Please recommend SUP for beginners. What is diff b/t 1 fin vs 3 fins?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:15:22 AM »
The Starboards that you posted would be fine for the types of riding that the both of you are looking to do.  The single fins are fine for flatwater paddling and sometimes for surfing, but you will notice the difference with a 2+1 set up when you get out in the waves.  Realize also that not all fins are created equal, and different fins will give you different performance on the same board.

My opinion would be to try and get something other than the Jimmy Styx.  Riviera makes an 11 footer that is close to that price point and a better board, IMHO.  Depending on what is available in your area, I would also check out Naish, Paddle Surf Hawaii, or even NSP, and see what you think.  Hope that some of this helps, and I'm sure others will be along shortly.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
You usually get what you pay for with sup equipment. The costco boards will get you out there and can certainly be enjoyed but I believe that within 3-6 months you will be trying to sell them and buy something better like the Starboards you described.  If you decide to go with higher quality boards there is a pretty good chance you will want to keep your first boards even if you buy additional high performance surf or race models later on. Many people end up with an all purpose board plus a surf and or a race board.

The single fin however is really not an issue, you can enjoy a single fin board in the surf just as well especially as a beginner. Later on if you develop a more agressive style of carving your turns in the surf the sidebites will help. Otherwise I would recommend that you don't even put in the sidebites in until you can feel the difference.

The Starboard blend is an excellent all purpose board for ladies and many guys. Some smaller ladies prefer the drive because it is smaller and lighter and surfs better if she can handle a bit less stability. Both the Drive an Blend surf great. The Blend is much more stable and paddles faster for all but the lightest paddlers.

You are really not too big to use a blend yourself as an all purpose board if you don't mind falling a bit in the beginning especially while surfing, but if you want more stability the Big easy and the cruiser will be more stable for you. Between those three boards, I prefer the cruiser because it paddles faster than either of the other two and surfs better than the big easy without giving up much stability. In small waves I would usually rather ride the cruiser even over the blend, which does surf better as the waves get bigger. The cruiser is really my favorite all purpose board for guys over 185.  It does everything well. Even racing in stock class.

I wanted to give you a few options because the learning curve for sup stability is really quite fast once you own them. If you have any more questions just ask. 

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Look at a Joe Blair , not that much more money and better boards...
And better resale value!

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »
Although your wife would do well on the Blend, the Drive is big enough to float her well and it's easier for her to carry (smaller & lighter). My 5' wife didn't notice any real loss of glide moving down to the Drive when we demo'd it along with the Blend. Can't go wrong with either one, but she may at least want to demo both sizes.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
Paddledaddy's advice is pretty sound. You don't need the big easy. I'm considerably bigger than you and balance challenged and I learned on the Starboard Cruiser, which I still have, and had a Blend that I really liked but sold. The cruiser gets used for all kinds of stuff, mostly for cruising, but it it also surfs well from the tail and makes a decent downwind board. Both are great all around boards. Lots of other manufacturers to consider too. You should demo a bunch before making the decision. Look on Craigslist too. Some of the earlier boards like the cruiser, blend, the Naish nalus, etc.. can be found used for a good price.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
there are a lot of boards out there. try a few first. demo many    for  her think lightweight.    starboard, coreban,  fanatic and many more  the list is large . If you are in s cal    Try Kings paddlesports they are terrific.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
I don't need to add any other recommendations as you've got plenty here and probably will discover more.  Main thing to note is that any board you get at Costco is mass-produced and a pretty bland shape.  Since cost is no issue, the higher pricepoint of the other boards mentioned (Starboard, etc) is indicative of them being performance boards that will give you more enjoyment the further you progress.  On the one hand, going cheap is understandable when one is entering in, but if you're fortunate not to be in that position go for a better board from the outset.

Everyone else has spoken to fins, etc but as far as the weight--yes a cheaper board like those at Costco are going to be heavier.  Not to mention, there's strong feelings about some of the rip-offs these outfits seem to perpetrate (search "JimmyStyks" on this site and on the web for some of the back story here).

You'll be happy you spent more, regardless what brand you bought.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
I would strongly suggest you find a demo day to attend before you purchase.  If you are just doing flatwater, you can go a long way to refine the size, shape, width, and weight that works best for you both.  Once you have that down, you can come back and we'll give you more on the brands available locally.

My wife has the benefit of paddling my board a number of times and a couple demo days to see how she liked different shapes and widths.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal