Author Topic: Impossible? Nahhh...  (Read 13547 times)

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Impossible? Nahhh...
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »

I have this novelty board for a few days and am going to see what it's capable of. Starboard 2010 Camo model with the pad built in. Five fun setup, which will be ridden as a quad.  It's got one more liter than the 7'4"Pod and is more stable.  Looks like a floating table in the water.  
  I'll post a review down the road. :)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Impossible? Nahhh...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
ive seen a few of these here and there-Poytner just rips on his-i just cant get my mind around that shape though!
Cant be fun to paddle out in good sized surf.
Still want to try one though!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »
After seeing plenty of pics of Poynter on his I am mildly curious even if I don't have his talent.  I'm still pessimistic as to whether trading a bit of length for width is where it's at, though.  I look at what Corran is doing, the Kings Bonzai, other really pulled in boards and I can picture how they fit into tight arcs and that thing mystifies me.  But please let us know how it goes cuz it wouldn't be the first time I've been proven absolutely full of it!

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
7'4" Pod next to the 6'6" Impossible.
Fatty on the right makes the Pod look slim!

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »
I've been camping at the San Elijo campgrounds past few days.  I will be around Cardiff to tower 17.  If you still have that impossible, you've got to give me 10 minutes on that thing.  I will be out monday morning and then again in afternoon.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:39:58 PM »

whats the volume on that 6'6''?

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:31:53 AM »
Josh, I'll be at the reef around 1pm. I'll give you a ring if the time differs.

Impossible volume is 113L.
Pod is 112L.
I have an 8'0" hand shaped Infinity that is under 100L because it's really thin.
Volume is deceiving.  Anyone can go to a shorter board if you keep the board width around 30".

And yes, I reserve the right to say:  "This SUP surfs like a shortboard!"
:)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »

nice it looks like a fun board. I left the super wide 7'9' mana for the 7'8'' hokua which is right at my threshold at 190-195lb.

I wouldn't mind trying the 6'6'' :-)

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
After three really fun sessions, here's my thoughts:

*From first putting in the water, I've found the Impossible is very stable even when paddling in semi-bumpy conditions.  Plenty of float!  (I'm 175 lbs)  I had it out at Cardiff Reef, and had no trouble catching waves.

*For such a short board, it has decent glide.  I tend to paddle towards a wave with my foot planted about six inches back from the nose, do a quick spin around, and keep my foot there.  Having my weight forward allows the board to drop in easier. That nose is so wide, that it planes quickly once I drop in. Paddling back out, it's quick to spin and catch some of the inside waves.

*Once on a wave, the board is freakishly easy to snap around.  It turns flat, obviously, due to it's 4.5" of thickness.
I can be going down the line backside, and just lift the nose up onto the lip, and land it back down.  There's hardly any swing weight because there's not three feet of board in front of me to swing around.

I've got the monster-size Jerry Lopez quad fins in, and can still slide it out.  It's loose when going front side, and holds a hard backside turn.

*Board weighs 16 lbs without the fins, and dry.  Probably a pound or two heavier when I get it out of the water.  That deck pad does soak up some moisture.

Overall impression 8/10.  If I could take this template and make a custom Impossible, I'd do a step deck, beveled rails, and pull in the tail a bit.  I don't mind the wide nose, however.

*Best uses:

-Beach break or a juicy reef.
    -Knee high, to head high.
    -When you want to get a lot of attention...  Get used to telling people, "It's a 6'6"!"
    -You just want to get out there and have fun, without really thinking about it.

Pictures coming in the next week.  Gotta find someone to take pics.  8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:33:10 AM by Cardiff Sweeper »

SUPsurferFL

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »
That's what i'm talking about! I'm currently on a 12ft SUPatx LR4, which is quite the bargain of a board and has definitely served it's purpose in getting going but after a year i'm startling to look at the smaller boards now. I also surf prone on a 8ft 1" McTavish 8 Ball, as well as a 6ft 10" WRV Fish, but it's been all about the SUP the last few months as i'm really getting the hang of catching waves, riding them down the line, and getting into some turns and manuevers, but i'm having a tough time whipping it around (at all), my question is, is it possible to do any REAL turns on my 12ft LR, or am I almost going to HAVE to pick up one of these?

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
You will do REAL turns on a 12' tax (or any 12').

I consider 10' a threshold length where the drop off in glide is worth the increased maneuverability.

SUPsurferFL

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:26:14 PM »
You will do REAL turns on a 12' tax (or any 12').

I consider 10' a threshold length where the drop off in glide is worth the increased maneuverability.

Thanks Raf, I guess i'm just not positioning myself far back enough toward the tail or have the technique down, this is by far the largest board i've ever been on so it seems rather large to me coming from "prone surfing". Last session I was catching wave after wave in waist - chest glass and I was able to get my rail into the wave and it locked on and took off and I rode it up to the lip and to do a half hearted floater and back down the face, but i'm sure it didn't look nearly as cool as it felt HAHA

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »
what about the squirt? 6'6 and 43 wide. id love to try either one they both look fun.  if u ever want to sell it let me kno.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 01:34:32 AM »
I will advise trying to get a board with a more refined outline. My new 6'8"x31.5"x120l  for instance is a total blast for my 100kg in crappy waves, the board is an extension of your body and the curved outline makes it able to get on the rail in turns. It needs at least waist-high faces to get going however:

It has less glide than the more "wombat" shape of my 6'9" however, which can be fun in literrally ankle snappers:

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »
Colas, you need to sell your boards in the USA!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal