Author Topic: SUP ATX HR Soft Tops and Yoga board  (Read 11022 times)

SUP Ottawa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Ottawa - SUP Ottawa
    • Email
SUP ATX HR Soft Tops and Yoga board
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »
Hi, has anyone tried the sup atx hr soft tops or yoga board? I'm looking for a review.

Cheers,
SUP Ottawa

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP ATX HR Soft Tops and Yoga board
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:11:48 AM »
Yep. I am a little embarrassed to say that the 12 blue one was my first board.  Got what I thought was a good deal on it.  Package included an adjustable paddle and a pretty nice bag with straps.  The comfort top was nice under your feet and I guess it would make a good yoga board, if that is your thing.  I really had no clue about board quality when I purchased it and their website write up was pretty convincing to me at the time. 

I was happy as a clam on it for a few months, until it slid off the top of the car and was fatally damaged.  I was hooked on SUP and HAD to get another board.  However, I was more informed and diligent in my research the second time around and got one that is much better in many aspects.  It is pretty well understood in our SUP community that the build quality of these boards is very low.  However, the price point is pretty good and it may serve your purposes well.  Think entry level board when you think of SUP/ATX. 

If you think that you may later become more interested in the glide than in the yoga part of the experience and you don't mind investing more up front, I would steer you toward a higher priced better quality displacement nose board that you will enjoy more over the long haul. 

My recommendation to you is to provide a very detailed description of your experience, size/weight, intended use and the type of water and conditions that you will normally encounter and the budget that you will be working within.  You will get a lot of feedback here and many good recommendations from experienced people that are not trying to sell you.   

The main thing that I will emphasize is Do pull the trigger and get yourself a board and get out on the water as frequently as you can.  It has been a zen like experience for me.  I just can not get enough of it.  There many very good reasons that it is the world's fastest growing sport.             
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »
The Imagine Surfer boards are good for yoga, and they're very sturdy. Of course, they're also made of heavy plastic, but that's the tradeoff I guess.

http://www.imaginesurf.com/standup-paddle-yoga/

I'm getting one tomorrow, BTW.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SUP Ottawa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking to purchase a fleet (approx 7-10 boards) for a rental and lesson business. I was originally looking at the NSP boards, which I think are better quality, but the price and comfort tops for these boards are shifting my decision. I also wanted to incorporate some yoga, hence the interest in the comfort tops. Raven rider, I realize the glide on these boards is obviously inferior to flatwater or pricier boards, and ideally i'd buy a fleet of good quality flatwater boards, but I'm on a budget. NSP- strong and durable or SUPatx - durable enough with comfort top. Also, I'd like to point out that these boards will not be used for surfing so they will be going through less wear and tear. 
Cheers,
SUP Ottawa

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
You will be happy with NSP but I would also look at Riviera. Riviera has the Voyager that may be a great board for you as well as a great price.

SwellSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »
I have been using NSP for three years now to teach special needs kids how to paddle and get used to the water. They are barges but they have been put through a beating. Paddle slaps, kids picking and biting the top. (yes, I said biting). They have been walked on while sitting on the floor with just the fin to support. Crazy stuff.

I dont carry Nsp but their should be plenty of people around that can help you get on one.

The Riviera Voyager on the other hand is really nice and stable, but they have a small deck pad and will not allow people to stretch into positions at the center of the board.  I do carry Riviera but for your purpose maybe just the Riv 11'6 with the 3/4 pad would work better, not the voyager. (though the voyager paddles extremely nice). Check with a local dealer to see them in person.

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
The Riviera Voyager on the other hand is really nice and stable, but they have a small deck pad and will not allow people to stretch into positions at the center of the board.  I do carry Riviera but for your purpose maybe just the Riv 11'6 with the 3/4 pad would work better, not the voyager. (though the voyager paddles extremely nice). Check with a local dealer to see them in person.
I have to disagree with you regarding the Voyager not working. The Voyager has a 7 foot long deck pad and a consistent 5-1/4 inch thickness through the deck. I'm 6' (190 lbs) and do yoga on my Voyager without any issues. Try one out and see what you think. Don't under estimate the Voyager. It's a very versitle board.

paddlenorcal

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
Look into BOGA Yoga Paddleboards. They make very durable board that are awesome for both lessons and yoga. We have a couple SUP ATX's we bought early on for our company as well, but they just aren't tough enough for the day to day uses of a rental and lesson fleet. We have had to do lots of repairs to our just to keep them watertight. That being said, we have also had good luck with Riviera's and Surftech universals. If you have any questions for us, just shoot me a message. Sounds like we are doing the same thing company wise. Centralvalleysup.com

SUP Ottawa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. After further research, I'm definitely off of the SUP ATXs; quality is just too poor. I'm leaning towards the NSP flatwater or Riviera Voyager. The boga boards are great for yoga, but I want something with more glide and a more all around flat water board. NSP flatwater or Riviera Voyager? Anyone tried both of them?
Cheers,
SUP Ottawa

SwellSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
1medic,

I have tried one out right after Surf Expo in January  That is just my opinion. I have run a  Yoga Class of my Ron House Carbon race board as well, but I don't feel you can take full advantage of like board with a flat full deck pad.

Stability wise and volume is all there though.

It's all a matter of opinions and options really. That is what is great about this forum.

SUP Ottawa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »
Thanks 1medic, but which one did u prefer? I think you may have accidentally missed that part

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?o4ktv1
Cheers,
SUP Ottawa

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
I have the Riviera Voyager and the NSP 11.0 x 31 x 4-1/4. I have done yoga on both boards and prefer the Voyager due to the stability. NSP makes a 11'6" x 33 x 4-3/4.  The NSP 11'6" is at the same price point as the Riviera Voyager and the Voyager is more versatile. You mentioned you'd "like to buy a fleet of flat water boards". The Voyager will be more versatile for your customers giving them a great flat water paddling experience compared to the NSP. Why not get a mix of of NSP and Riviera?

SwellSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »
I guess I wasn't clear but that is why it's a discussion. I totally agree if not Yoga specific, the Voyager is great. I do use the 11'6 NSP board (3 of them) and as an exercise physiologist who also runs fitness classes on boards, a flat deck full pad board allows for more variation of moves up and down the board.  Yes we do bear crawls and forward rolls in our fitness class  For basic beach rentals they are also a foot shorter.

Now if you want to have a fleet of 12'6 boards the Voyager at that price point which is just a bit more than the NSP will work so much better for long tours, covering textured or open water etc. I would say that at its price point, it is the best out there.

Again depending on needs and location, your mileage may vary.

This is coming from a guy who sells Riviera and doesn't carry NSP. 

It's can be hard to weed through all the valid points in everybody's posts.

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »
Just two cents from a newb...

My girlfriend and I got into SUP about 4 months ago.  We were renting boards and taking lessons at different places so that we try as many board types and manufacturers as we could.  We live in Fort Lauderdale Florida and while we have access to both surf and backwater paddling, our only interest was backwater paddling.  However, we could not find anyone who rented the boards meant for flatwater...so we didn't have much choice.  We also knew that we needed to at least buy something so that we could get on the water 3 to 4 times a week and start building skills.  We came across a monster deal on two slightly used 2012 NSP's and we grabbed them.  Yeah, we really wanted to get flatwater boards meant for touring, but in the meantime, we were able to get two nice boards and two great carbon fiber paddles at once, and get on the water.  As we build our skills, we keep our eyes open for chances to demo touring boards....sooner or later, we'll get a chance and then we will probably move to the boards that we really want....but we will keep these NSPs.

We have a 10.2 x 32” x 4 7/8 and a 11’ x 31” x 4 ¼”.  I am 6'2" 205 lbs, and my girlfriend is 5'9" 140lbs.  We switch back and forth on the boards, but I usually ride the shorter board as she loves the 11'....but she takes the 10 ft when she is going to do yoga with her friends.  Both boards float us just fine, and are very stable.  Anyway, we beat these boards pretty good and they take it.  A few weeks back, we were on the busy part of the New River and got caught in nasty double slop chop when two big party boats passed us going in opposite directions.  I got tossed into a piling nose first and slammed it pretty hard.  I was afraid as I spun my board around to check the nose….and found no damage.  We launch from a very rocky shore on the New River so we pick up some scratches on them from time to time, and no leaks.  I do a monthly maintenance on them just in case and throw some sun cure epoxy on the scratches just to keep them dry, but I weigh them constantly and they have not gained any weight since we got them.  We have friends try their first time on the 10 footer as it is very stable and at least gives them a fun and usually dry first time paddle.   The 10 footer is a bit of a hog in flatwater, but it has forced me to develop a strong paddle stroke and now I can move it around pretty good.  And, when I paddle the 11ft, I can really go.  So, while I can’t wait to get a touring style board at some point, we’re keeping these NSPs in the quiver.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

SUP Ottawa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
thanks for your thoughts guys. appreciate it.
Cheers,
SUP Ottawa

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest