Author Topic: Carlsbad lagoon?  (Read 8768 times)

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Carlsbad lagoon?
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
I have surfed in SoCal for the last 10 years.  Just recently got a SUP and normally frequent Mission Bay.  Work sometimes takes me to North County and I would like to find a place for some flat water mileage on the way.  Preferably something with nice scenery.

So I drove around Carlsbad lagoon today looking but found some issues.  There were signs saying they require a $40 annual vessel sticker.  I'm fine with that especially if the money goes to the environment.  While researching the sticker I found this map:

http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/departments/parksandrec/aquatics/Documents/AGUA_Hedondia_map.pdf

which seems to indicate SUPs are confined to the end of the lagoon.

Is this correct?

Are there any other lagoons in the area that allow SUPs?  Ideally I would like a long run where I can paddle into the wind, maybe check out the beach break, then paddle back to my truck. 

Thanks in advance.

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Carlsbad lagoon?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
I paddled the lagoon today completely stickerless as is every other SUP I've seen on the lagoon. I honestly have no idea who supposedly enforces this regulation (sticker police?), but I've never seen them. I also paddle around the whole thing and see lots of others doing it.

Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Of course, I won't be out there at noon on Memorial Day either when some sort of law may be around.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Carlsbad lagoon?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »
I paddle the lagoon frequently  . I don't have a sticker I was told that they  the city put the sign to charge commercial operators which are  using the lagoon to teach  but that seems sorta like charging to  surf in the ocean. The lagoon is a great place to paddle  . You can head up the creek that feeds it about a half mile or you can paddle down to the ymca par on the west side of the freeway I have paddle all the way out  to the entrance to the ocean  but that could be dicey if you  hit  the tides wrong.

The biggest  pain is the ski boats as they set up 1 to 1.5 foot waves that  are on about a 2 second period so that  about 3 to 4 hit you and your board every  second.  it is worse in summer but hell  it gets  your "sealegs" ready
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
Cool, thanks for the info!

CrazyIvan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
Great place to meet and paddle.  Calm much of the time and yes - it's all about staying out of the way of the water skiers.  Awesome on a summer full moon night.  You can paddle into the most western lagoon and out to the  Tamarack break, but for sometime the western lagoon has had a pipe chained across the opening.  Not sure why, but possibly for the aquaculture operation?  Curious to know.

See you out there

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »
I've seen the city give tickets to dogs w/o a leash and leave the SUPs alone. A great spot we are lucky to share with the ski boats.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 07:39:33 AM »
The lagoon is a great place to paddle. It is where I do my lessons and permits are required.  I buy my permits at the Monroe St. pool in Carlsbad.  The paddlers have a long area to paddle that runs East West so normally it gives an uphill (upwind) and downhill run.  It is a dog friendly beach too, but occasionally the enforcement guys will ticket dog's off leash.
Aloha,
Tom English
Aloha,
Tom English

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 07:24:45 PM »
Great place to meet and paddle.  Calm much of the time and yes - it's all about staying out of the way of the water skiers.  Awesome on a summer full moon night.  You can paddle into the most western lagoon and out to the  Tamarack break, but for sometime the western lagoon has had a pipe chained across the opening.  Not sure why, but possibly for the aquaculture operation?  Curious to know.

See you out there

Yeah I saw that pipe blocks access to the ocean, wonder what it's for?

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »
The lagoon is a great place to paddle. It is where I do my lessons and permits are required.  I buy my permits at the Monroe St. pool in Carlsbad.  The paddlers have a long area to paddle that runs East West so normally it gives an uphill (upwind) and downhill run.  It is a dog friendly beach too, but occasionally the enforcement guys will ticket dog's off leash.
Aloha,
Tom English

I wonder what they'll say if my dog is on the board? Haha.

StuBro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
I actually buy the sticker from the Carlsbad Pool complex Tom mentioned.  Why hassle the ticket over a $30 charge.

Just enter from the Bayshore Drive location off of Park.  It's a nice sandy beach area.  Don't go to the commercial operators as they charge you a "launch" fee too.  Plus there's a particular, "club" along there where the owner could use some serious PR lessons, if not just life lessons on how not to be a DB.  I won't give those places my patronage as I just can't bring myself to benefit a guy that doesn't get it.

The lagoon is really fun for wildlife viewing.  Just watch out for wakes from wake boats.  Yes, wake boarding was invented in this little lagoon if you believe the claims.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »
The air chair (foil board with chair attached) and wake board were developed on the lagoon in the 1980's.
The original wake board was invented by Tony Finn (at the Mission Bay Aquatic center)and called a skurfer. 
Aloha,
Tom English

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM