Author Topic: traction pad on top of traction pad?  (Read 4039 times)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
traction pad on top of traction pad?
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »
hey looking to put on a tail pad over a starboard deck pad need a arch and bigger kickker pad on tail. I've seen starboard pros boards with them on it  like zane and sean. i guess i just stick it on over pad no extra glue or anything, right? anyone else do this?

bean

Re: traction pad on top of traction pad?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »
hey looking to put on a tail pad over a starboard deck pad need a arch and bigger kickker pad on tail. I've seen starboard pros boards with them on it  like zane and sean. i guess i just stick it on over pad no extra glue or anything, right? anyone else do this?

Newton, I would use the tail pad to trace out it's position on the existing pad with a Sharpie marker.  I would then cut and scrape that piece off, sand surface down to 150 or 220 and then apply the new pad.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
ya i thought of that as well but starboard pads can be a real pain to remove.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 03:36:25 PM »
I stuck a Da Kine tail pad on right top of my existing pad.
It's been stuck on there for over a year now.
I'll post again in another few years and let you know if it is still sticking.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »
I have stuck Dakine pads over the starboard pad.  no issues after 3+ years.

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »
Phew, I stuck a Creatures of Leisure's Traction/Kick Pad over the top of my existing traction pad, after spending 20 minutes of trying to remove the required area of existing pad with very little success.

Since I was making more of a mess of things than any real progress.....I finally decided to cleaned up the edges of existing pad that I had pulled off, put the new one over the top of it, stepped on it a few times and said, "Phukit.....good enough", since it is a board that I don't ride that often anyway.

Glad to hear that guys are having theirs stay on for several years or more with the same method......if I get that out of this one, I'll be more than happy.   COOL...... :D

bean

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:02:41 AM »
Wow, I'm really out-voted here, but I still stick to my original suggestion.  Don't listen to those guys I'm sure they bring cans of 3m, 77 spray adhesive wherever they go.

I could have that pad templated, cut and removed (and maybe even sanded) in less than 20 min.  And with that, I think you would have a much cleaner look.  Just my opinion; but if I see you in the Belmar lineup with your pad hanging off... ;D

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:00:20 AM »
If only the silver Starboards had better traction in the rear....hmmmmm.   I wonder how we could let them know about this.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
Cardiff Sweeper.  Haven't we been letting them know for a year or two now.  Interesting that they haven't caught on to their comments on the sucky starboard pads.

Bean, I with you on this.  I did put just a few cut up pieces of pad on my old PR camo pad to add some additional traction.  If I were to put a stomp pad on, I'd just get an electric sander and sand that section off to put a stomp pad on.  I would not put pad on top of pad.  Yes you can do it and I'm sure it would stick but why not put a little extra time in and do it right.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
Newton,

I gotta agree with Bean here That is how we do it.
I can get you a price for the pad installed if you are interested just PM me

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
I think you would have a much cleaner look.  Just my opinion; but if I see you in the Belmar lineup with your pad hanging off... ;D
Most definitely a "cleaner look", and why I was a bit hesitant about just plopping it on the existing pad, but still being a "noob", taking power tools the the deck of a board never really crossed my mind, or still even enthuses me all that much.    :-\  :)

I guess it it falls off anytime soon, I'll at least now know how to do it properly.  In the meantime, I'll just cross my fingers......  :D

bean

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
I've had pretty good success using a Bosch multi tool with a smooth scraper attachment to get the pad off.  The remaining residue sands off fairly easy and leaves a nice surface to apply the new pad.  (I’ve given up on using heat and chemicals except a quick alcohol wipe down before placement.)

I would love to hear some opinions on where to place the tail-pad relative to fin set-up.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
   Ummm...
Power tools and scraping vs. just stick it on and go.
I don't know about you but I took the easy way out. I'll send you pics if you want.

My existing pad was flat without grooves though. Maybe that makes a difference.
Try it out. If it doesn't stick, go back to plan B.
Cut and scrape away, then use waterproof contact cement on both surfaces.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
I stuck a traction pad over an existing pad. I put a little monster glue to help hold it a little better and have had no problems. In-fact I really like it.  I find I can really feel the pad.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
ya im not messing with the pad i just stuck it on top looks good as gold if it falls off oh well right where i started anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal