Author Topic: 2012 Naish Glide 14 - Columbia River  (Read 4265 times)

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2012 Naish Glide 14 - Columbia River
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:28:53 AM »
Has anyone tried the new 2012 Naish Glide 14 on the Columbia River ?  Does it perform as well as the 2011 in the short period waves you would find at Hood River ?  Any issues with the short pad that is on the new Glide - stepping back and slipping off the board ?

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Re: 2012 Naish Glide 14 - Columbia River
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
I can only imagine that with the 2" of less rocker that it should be faster in the flats. The water line for a 14 is really around 11'1/2.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
Thanks Gorgebob - looking for how it downwinds primarily.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:20:21 AM »
I'd think your short period swell is similar to our Cape Town run and there the new Glide works great from 15 - 45knots. When you find the sweet spot it picks up everything!

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »
Is it even warm enough for anyone to paddle in the Gorge yet? I usually wait until July before testing the water there.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »
I've been paddling all winter in the Columbia in Hood River - since I got back from Maui in Mid-December. That was a difficult and unpleasant transition! But, it was so worth it to be on the water regularly. I am not the only one that is paddling around here but most days, I don't see anybody else out - but its always awesome when I do see other paddlers. I am on a 2011 Glide 14 and most of my sessions are only about an hour and a half long.

My paddling parameters are that the air temp has to be at least 40 degrees and that if its blowing enough for a fun downwinder, I must paddle the upwind leg, not shuttle. On flat or lighter wind days, I don't give it much thought because its highly unlikely that I'll be going in and I wear a 3 mil farmer john with a semi-breathable top underneath . If its blowing more than 15, I'll wear a 5/4/3 surfing suit just in case I walk off my board. Water temp is still in the lower 40's I think. YMMV as they say.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
Bing--I can't answer what you want to know, but I can tell you there were a bunch of the new Glides used last August at the Naish Paddle Challenge in Hood River.  There are lots of photos on their web and facebook pages.  I think the people using them were primarily Naish riders--making only Naish riders since the model was brand new then. You'd think they were all on the new model because it's faster, but on the other hand I guess Naish wouldn't have wanted their own riders to use the old model because that wouldn't make Naish look too good.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
Want to re-open this topic as I am really curious about this. Can anyone do a back to back comparison 2011 to the 2012 for close frequency swells? Pros & cons of both models?

I own a 2010 and may look to upgrade.
Thnx

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
When we went yesterday Karen Wrenn was on a new Glide 14, and was having a blast in the middle of the river, keeping up with Dan Gavere and Lee Murray with no apparent problem.

As far as attire goes, I usually wear 2XU tights, boardies and a dri-fit shirt. Yesterday the wind was kind of cold so I wore my drysuit--which is generally comfortable but a hassle to get back on your feet if you go down. The Boardies/tights thing is fine if you don't fall in, and not horrible if you do. I dry pretty quick. Of course I make quite a fashion statement, a wig, a big red nose and my superfreak booties are all I need to join Ringling Bros.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal