Author Topic: Fanatic Allwave 9'10" vs. Starboard Widepoint 10'5" vs ???  (Read 9611 times)

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm looking at the both the Fanatic Allwave 9'10"  and Starboard Widepoint 10'5" as possible best boards for SUP surfing and wavesailing in SOCAL.

Have any 100-120 kg heavyweights here had experience with these boards or others, for both SUP surfing and wavesailing? Selected board needs to have the mast base insert for wavesailing.

I'm interested to hear your opinions...

MAX

paddlesurfpastor

Re: Fanatic Allwave 9'10" vs. Starboard Widepoint 10'5" vs ???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
I've not ridden the Widepoint, but I have ridden the Starboard Hero which is 9'0x33.

I'm 230lbs and it paddles and surfed great. Still more of cruiser than a shredder.

So I'd imagine the Widepoint would be a smash in the cruise dept also.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
I'm looking at the both the Fanatic Allwave 9'10"  and Starboard Widepoint 10'5" as possible best boards for SUP surfing and wavesailing in SOCAL.

A little more research discovered two more SUPs for heavyweights with a production mast base insert. Here's the specs on the four in running:

Fanatic Allwave 9'10"  x 33",   191L
Starboard Widepoint Silver AST 10'5" x 32",  186L-2011 model, 175L - 2012 model
Exocet Evo 10'9"  x 30.7",  204L
Cabrinha C-Series  10'8" x 34",  193L

MAX

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:52:11 AM »
Max,

I don't know if I talked to you already but I gotta say The AllWave 9'10 and the Cabrinha Cseries are fabulous paddle or sailing SUP's for us bigger guys. The Cabrinha is lighter and more "cruisy"The Fanatic AllWave rides more like a fish (rail to rail pumping down the line for speed) sailing They are a good bit the same with the Cabrinha a bit livelier in light wind due to its added length. The Fanatic actually planed in higher wind which is rare for SUP's
Construction wise both are TOP OF THE LINE and for guy our size STIFF!
Components the Cabrinha needs a bit bigger side fins but the fin quality along with deck pad is good. The Fanatic AllWave having a true Thruster setup (advantage in paddlesurfing) is a little to loose for sailing. I suggest a bigger trailing fin (8 to 9") for windsurfing this board

Lastly the only drawback is the AllWaves are expected to be available to ship until mid to late April. The Cabrinha's are available now

If you have more specific questions feel free to PM me here or Email me

hope this helps
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com   

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
Can't say much for the wavesailing performance of the 10'5 Widepoint, but it sure is fun in the surf.  As a big boy (240lbs) it floats me fine and, yeah, I probably won't shred on it---but that would be the case with any board.

Just plane fun for an open water cruise as well.  It's not a race board, but it doesn't feel like a drag to paddle over long stretches.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Surfdog93

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
For wave-sailing, those boards are gonna be pretty big.
I'm 100 kg and currently ride the fanatic prowave 9'2" with 6 and 5.5,  7-18kn or so. 2'-6' waves
But, I am looking to invest in a paddler and will go Allwave 9'6' or 9'2" once they are back in stock.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
For wave-sailing, those boards are gonna be pretty big.

I'm not too worried that these boards will be too big to wavesail...for San Diego's light wind conditions they should work better for a heavyweight than a short wavesailing board. The Kona 10'5" and 11'5" are well documented as being good wavesailing boards, although less so for SUP:
http://www.waterhound.com/session-reports/65-stand-up-paddling-session-report/221-fp-on-kona-with-sail-1-10-10.html

JimK sent me more info offline on the Fanatic AllWave 9'10"...after weighing all the variables, I've decided this board is the best choice of the four candidates to supplement my 11'6" Amundson, which will become my primary flatwater paddler on the bay side. I trust that the 9'10" AllWave will be a great surfing/wavesailing board for the ocean side. I'll be putting the AllWave on order with JimK shortly!  

MAX  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:46:01 AM by maxsonic »

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
Another good board for Windsurfing and paddling ist the
RRD Wassup 10'.
I'm only 90 kg but for me it works good in both disiplines so far.
Only drawback ist you have to be carefull of nose diving, because the board lags some nose rocker.
Also with my increasing SUP surfing skills i feel the board is a little stiff at thighter turns.
The board really can plane, but essential is to use a big fin. I found some old, used US-Box fins in 32 cm and 36 cm length. These really make a big difference to the stock fins.

Alex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal