Author Topic: Big and Tall SUP wannabe  (Read 12406 times)

NantucketPaddleBum19

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Big and Tall SUP wannabe
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:22:02 AM »
I'm 7' and around 350lbs and want to get into this sport, but in looking around at the larger boards, I'm not seeing anything that will float me. And when I say float me, I don't mean at the very upper limit of a board's capacity. I want a board that floats me like it would for a normal size person with buoyancy to spare. I live on Nantucket Island off the coast of Massachusetts. I'd rather not go the custom route, as money is definitely a factor.

Any suggestions out there?

Peter

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Big and Tall SUP wannabe
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »
try an  avanti  also look at other  sites
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
I would think there are plenty of boards that would work for you. Check Focus SUP.

They have a board that is 10'10" x 35" and another that is 11'4" x 32"....lots of volume.

Probably lots of others out there too, but without having had the need to look at those, I wouldn't be able to point you in any particular direction.

Good luck!
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
Damn!...lets get together and start a SUP football team. I'm a little guy next to you. 6-4 and I was 315 when I started on a 12-6 Starboard cruiser. Lots of bigger boards than that now. I'm sure you can find something. Not sure how much of that 350 you could lose but you'll definitely lose some if you start paddling regularly.

What are you planning on doing with the board, cruise, surf, distance?

Talk to John at South County. He's been making big boy boards from the start. His 9-0 floats me well at 275 but you would be feet wet at 350. He also has a 10-0 x 35 and 5" thick that might work. His 12-6 x 32 is designed as a race board but I bet it would make a decent all-around for you. He's also a great guy too.
http://www.southcountysurf.com/boards.htm

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:00:05 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

adamrod

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »
yah. starboard avanti looks to have plenty of volume.

ENCINITAS_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »
Avanti was already road tested by someone pretty close to your stats- former NBA player Luc Longley

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=14385.0

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »
If the Avanti doesn't "get 'er done", I gotta believe their Atlas Extra (at 253 ltrs.) definitely would.

John at South County is also a great suggestion, as I would say is Joe Blair......he too understands the concept of getting the right board under bigger guys.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Big and Tall SUP wannabe
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:07:31 AM »
Custom isn't necessarily more expensive - shop around.  I think the higher end mass produced boards like Starboard/Naish/Coreban/etc. run $1400-1600 whereas some of the customs run in the neighborhood of $1200 in the lower end.

Look at Joe Blair's SUPs too - he knows how to make boards for big guys...

ffchadbo

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
Hey Pete
I'm 6'9" and when i started paddling i was weighing 320-330 ish. The South County 10er is the 1st board i could ride w/o getting my feet wet. Great big guy board! Check them out John is a great guy. I got mine 2009 and still riding it.
A few months ago i got the Lake Shore Paddle LPC river rover 14 foot by 32 inches I dont remeber the volume off hand but i would say its over 300. It's mine lake / flat water board.
I got it from REI free shipping and a great return policy.
I tried the Joe Blair 10 footer and it was nice but I don't think it would work for you at your weight. IMO Joe did have a bigger board like the avanti I didn't try it. That may work, good luck on the board search.
Also check out the PSH hull paddlers

SUP_state_of_mind

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »
Hello Pete, let me tell you I know exactly what you are going thru.  I am 6'1" and currently 343lbs (I have lost 11 pounds since I started my diet) and I love being out on my baord.  I have a SUP ATX 12 foot board and it does a great job of keeping me above water.  I only flat water paddle at this point (Ohio isnt known for it's surf spots) and I think it would be a great choice for a fellow big and tall guy.  Just my two cents hope it helps.
"Ask yourself, is the juice worth the squeeze."

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
Starboard probably has the best big guy boards.  I'd recommend at least 12' given your height. Any less you'll be going slow, unless you're only surfing.  Aim for a width starting at 35" wide. 

Surftech's French Universal 12' board is 5" thick ahd super floaty. i have one for instruction.  we call it the 'island'.

given your height, ideally try to find a 14' board, 33" or wider, about 5" thick. that would be ideal.  i'm 6-5 230, so have an idea of what you're dealing with. 

rc
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
I've seen the South County 10'er in action and that thing will keep you dry and happy in most East Coast conditions.  So Co also makes a big race board "the AHRRG" and I've seen John himself out on one surfing up a storm.

FYI, I think Luc Longley (former Bulls center) rides an Avanti.  I'll keep an eye out for Shaq or Andrew Bynum, in the line up.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 06:07:49 PM »
Next time your on the mainland give me a yell. You can try my 9er and see where it is in the water.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
Hooked SUP. Absolutely most definately will handle you with room to spare.
The LakeShore River Rover someone also mentioned would be something to look at depending on what you are doing.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
Have you tried any boards to see what they'll do?

Christian at Nantucket Surfari has a Laird 12-1 x 31 on Nantucket. That won't be enough board but it's the perfect board to gauge others against being the most common bigger board.
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal