Author Topic: For those of you who are at the 6'2" or close to it height. What length paddle  (Read 4564 times)

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
have you found works best for racing? 

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm still dialing it in.  I used an 86" paddle last season but have been wanting to go a little shorter.
 Nothing hurts or anything, I just think I'm digging a.little deep in each stroke.  I had an 84.5" which felt.really.short when I.would.go to it last.season, but I'm.thinking of trying 85".
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
at 6'2 I have my Ke Nalu Wiki at just shy of 84", progressively down from about 86. I'm working on a higher cadence stroke and I'm rarely in nice flat water.

Disclaimer - for you, board thickness, paddling style, arm length, flexibility, shoulder condition etc might require something a bit different. Note also the wiki blade is 15" long where many other blades are 16" or longer.

In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm around the 6'3-6'4" mark..

I use 12" over for most flat water and down-winders.. I use 8" over or the surf.. and 10" over for racing.

DJ

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Race- QB Elite is 86..not sure I like it
Surf- Kialoa  Methane  Paddle  82...I love this paddle

I'm 6'3" 225

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm 6'7, so I had QB make me a custom 'Elite' 93". I've since, cut it down to 89". On my race board I'm above waterline by a few inches, so that plays into the length. I use to use a 86" Werner Advantage for surfing. Now I like using my longer QB for surfing. It helps punching thru the wash.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Im 6'1" and use a 86" for racing and a 84" for surf.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
6'-1" and use 86" and sometimes 84".

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
I'm 6'2 I use an 85" long 8.5"blade

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
 I'm 6'3", and my main paddle at home is 87" (no one to race with yet). Here on vacation, I rented a Naish Mana soft-top for screwing around and it came with an adjustable Carbon paddle. Started off yesterday with it at that same length, and could reach out past the nose. I progressivly shortened it down to 84", since I'm paddling into the wind here, and goofing around on the 1' waves in front.
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

Adolfo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I’m 6’1’’
I use 86’’ for flat water paddling, and 80’’ for surfing.
Starboard 12'2 x 26
Naish Javelin 14 x 26
Naish Nalu 9'6 x 28
Starboard Hypernut 7'4 x 30 + foil
Starboard All Star 12'6 x 26

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm 6'3" and race with a addle 87.5"  In my opinion your reach is more important than your height in measuring for a paddle. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
I'm a little surprised to find that the paddle you're using can really effect the best length.

I'm going a little crazy since I've gotten the Ke Nalus. I'm 6'4" and was at 82 for surf and 87 for distance and racing. Now I'm playing with different shaft flexes, blade sizes, and an extendable handle that lets me easily try out different lengths. So far I'm a little confused. I'm finding that with a smaller blade for distance I want to go long..88 or 89....maximum reach and fast cadence combined, a bigger blade I like shorter, 86 or so, more grab in the power phase. What I really need to do is some serious testing with GPS and such. The subjective differences aren't enough when trying to shave off a little for racing. Something that feels good may actually be slower.

I haven't tested for surf much but I'm thinking I like big blades and short overall length...80 or maybe even less. I'm finding that in our conditions where I'm often fighting offshore winds to get on a wave it helps to be lower when going for it and having a shorter paddle allows for that while the shorted lever and bigger blade give the most immediate power. Bigger blades are also seem to be more help while surfing particularly for us bigger guys.

The real answer to your question can only be answered by yourself. So many different variables, weight, board volume, arm length...even the size of your head... ;D I've kind of convinced myself that it's almost silly to get a paddle that you can't adjust. I had actually already come to that conclusion somewhat even before the Ke Nalus. My previous paddle was adjustable too. But testing all the combinations on the Ke Nalus really has me convinced.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:11:36 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stone... that's a great observation about blade size to shaft length.  I was with your brother yesterday and when we entered the harbor, had to battle a fairly hefty head wind.  Top hand was down low on the shaft pushing with all my might.  So I might add that whether or not one is going downwind is also a factor because when I'm going DW, I love longer.  And what about flex versus shaft length?  Have you tried ur bro's Xtuf shaft?  I think Bill was yelling at me that my blade was too long when he let me try his.  Yeah thanks to him for making it easy to dial the length.  I've always been willing to stick with whatever I permanently glued, even if it was a mistake.  Freedom.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Adjustability is great.  I switch anywhere between 82" and 88" within a single (flatwater) session.  I like changing the length and seeing how it feels and what it does relative to my stroke.  Or I'll go shorter into the wind, and longer with it at my back.  

I do like the ability to adjust length instantly, but there are some tradeoffs with an adjustable paddle.  So I can see why people prefer fixed paddles.  However, having an adjustable does make determining what fixed length is best for you much easier.  You can paddle at one length, switch to another in 2 seconds, see how that feels, and then switch back and forth while you figure out what length is best for you.  

I'll be getting a Ke Nalu as my next gear purchase, and one of the great selling points to me is that although it's not instantly adjustable, you're not stuck with one length, even after you cut it.  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal