Author Topic: Should I go 12'6 or 14' for my race board?  (Read 10934 times)

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
Should I go 12'6 or 14' for my race board?
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
I'm getting back in SUP'ing after a year or just surfing.  I'm ready to buy a race board, and I'm curious on the pro's and con's of a 12'6 vs. a 14' board.

I want to paddle open ocean around San Clemente, launching and landing in the beach break by the pier. It seems that a 12'6 would be easier to handle in the surf, but slower and less stable on the open water.

I'm currently looking at a 12'6 Hobie Elite or a 14' Infinity.

I'm 6'3, 220lbs.

I'm also interested in casual racing and workouts with friends. But my priority is to paddle around Seal Rocks as a regular workout.

Any thoughts on which size board is more appropriate for my use would be appreciated!
Sustainable Surf

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Re: Should I go 12'6 or 14' for my race board?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
For your size 14' would be best. 12'6" only for the Battle of the Paddle or world tour points. More glide, speed, but more money and harder to store. Check you local race results and see who's racing what.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
I would without question go 14'.  Especially at your size and requirements the board will just be more enjoyable at 14'.

I know I might be a little bias but I have tried a few boards and 14' boards for bigger guys are more fun.  My 14' Infinity was delivered today.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
I have basically the same question and same interest in a board for open ocean paddling, however, I am 5'11", 165 lbs. Would that change your answer?

Simondo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:47:57 AM »
Try and get a demo paddle on the Starboard Touring 14 x 30.  Very nice to paddle, extremely stable.  Very fast considering 30 wide.

Kyle wade

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
I have been racing a 14 for the last year.  I'm 5'8" 200 and I like racing the 14 because of the glide and ease of paddling it.

A 12'6 is a great board but for open ocean paddling for me it is more enjoyable to paddle a 14.  If a paddler is smaller in height and weight but they want to do open ocean type of paddling instead of say lake or inland paddling a 14 is a great option.  I encourage people to paddle boards until they find the one that feels best under their feet and then they know what they should paddle.

I have the pleasure of working with Ed Angulo and have been part of the process of developing the Tiger Shaka series of boards.  I will be at the paddle me race in Marina Del Rey this weekend and if you want to paddle the 14 and see what it feels like feel free to contact me..

Kyle Wade
Kyle@angulodesigns.com

Mitchell

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:26:35 PM »
I would suggest a 14.

I am 19 years old 6 feet and 180-190 pounds depending on the season.

Stability is not really that affected by length but the way the board is cut, how deep the standing area is set, how tall the rails are, and how wide the board is what most affects the stability.

14 is more fun unless your getting into waves or a really technical turning coarse.

Ive never surfed so I dunnno about that part. Works better for down winders IMO.

paddlesurfpastor

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
I was talking with Dave from Infinity about this exact question. I'm 6'6 an 230lbs.

He said that no doubt a 14' for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal