Author Topic: I want to make a fast 14 foot flat water board, please help.  (Read 2881 times)

supjol

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I want to make a fast 14 foot flat water board, please help.
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
Hi
This will be my second shaping, hope it will be faster than the last, and lighter

I want to make a fast 14 foot flat water board.

It will be used in windy conditions, but on a lake so swells wont get bigger than a foot high. and it will be in sheltered areas away from the open water.

was thinking of doing a shape like the first M and M board, with a very pointy tale. what are the pros and cons of that?

was thinking 14x27x6. Im no expert in shaping so please help

will i have to make a displacement hull, and how big must the rocker be. Coming from a surfski background, i know to much rocker is bad, and slow.

any input will be great.

thanks

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make a fast 14 foot flat water board, please help.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:51:52 AM »
I also think you might want to consider the Starboard ACE shape - funny looking, but undeniably fast in flatter conditions. The 25" wide ACE boards (which are actually even narrower than that) are some of the fastest shapes around.

I noticed your comment about surfskis - too much rocker not being a good thing, and I agree. My suspicion is that racing skis like the V10 have sort of a "virtual" rocker - they are definitely displacement hulls, but their design let's them get on to a plane on open ocean swells and allows the pointy bow to release from the water to avoid bow steer.

Anyway, best of luck with your project.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:36 AM »
I had one of the pintail M+M. The thin tail releases well and is slippery and fast. However, you sacrifice a lot of stability. The other design characteristic that contributed to that was a very round bottom and chines.
  I think it was very much an R+D design, they're smart guys and have moved on with their shape. I think it would be wise to follow their lead.

If you really want that shape, jusy buy it, a 14' M+M pin is for sale in the classified here.

I paddle conditions like you describe. I would favor a Bark type bow with a deep V below for bite and tracking. You mentioned wind, so a low profile above the waterline will be prudent, particularly at the bow. Shape your volume to carry you forward of center. Make sure your tail thins up to give a good release. You are right to keep rocker to a minimum. You want all 14' wet to maximize waterline and thus speed...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:33:39 AM by adios pantalones »

jt737

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:54:02 AM »
I'm the proud new owner of a second hand Ace 1'4x25", and am amazed at how fast it is and stable.  I do think the lowered deck is the key ( as has the Suplove Stingray), I read somewhere that every inch the deck is lowered to the water is equivalent to an inch width? You also would need the ability to drain water off the deck easily.
For flat water I think a nose similar to the M & M would be ideal. Have a look at the Naish Javelin nose also and looking forward to the build and pictures.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal