Author Topic: 11' Laird Pearson fin placement question  (Read 13795 times)

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 11' Laird Pearson fin placement question
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »
Just don't be like this guy...  ;D

He was spotted a few weeks ago at a local surf spot walking to the water with his new surfboard.

The guys back at the surfshop that sold  it to him are probably still laughing..  :D

Dj
Ahhh, so that's how Laird spins his boards around and surfs 'em backwards......would never have thought of that. ;D ;D

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 03:42:00 AM »
I have got the old Laird 10' # 27".  First thing I did was replace the little centre fin with a big carver.  As the fin came out of a second hand mal I am not sure of the size.  I bought the board for the custon fin.  It is big, Brewer like.and nearly impossible to find off the shelf.  If you want to do real BK bottom turns this is the board and fin.

Looking at the new Laird 10' # 28.5" I am guessing these boards ride a lot different?  Maybe more like a modern mal and a much better noserider.  I can't see why they would with a bigger centre fin, but am thinking they might be just as well left alone for "trick" surfing?  To tell you the truth I really want to ride one and find out; anyone already been there?

Oh, thanks graffittisurf: this is exactly what I am thinking.  Then why bother with a custom when the Surftech's are a given?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:48:03 AM by Surfershane »

bean

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 07:07:31 AM »
Just don't be like this guy...  ;D

He was spotted a few weeks ago at a local surf spot walking to the water with his new surfboard.

The guys back at the surfshop that sold  it to him are probably still laughing..  :D

DJ

Yea, thats really lame, everyone knows that board should be ridden as a quad  ;D

mpedroso

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 04:44:43 PM »
Hi!

Does anyone ride the Surftech 2011 Laird 10'0''? What fins do you use? In what conditions you use the quad setup?

Currently i'm using one center Future Performance 6" and two sides FEA glass... Can you advice any different setup to try out? (i'm around 185lbs)

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 06:30:04 PM »
Hi!

Does anyone ride the Surftech 2011 Laird 10'0''? What fins do you use? In what conditions you use the quad setup?

Currently i'm using one center Future Performance 6" and two sides FEA glass... Can you advice any different setup to try out? (i'm around 185lbs)

As above I have the older Laird 10.  Any chance of a quick review on the new model?

Thanks, Shane

mpedroso

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »
Hi Shane!

I never tried the 'old' Laird, so i cannot compare them... This board is my do it all board. Flat, small, medium, ... I'm not a great SUP'er but for my intermediate habilities i really love it. I've friends that ride small sups but three of them have one Laird 2011 in their quiver. It's a really good board with nice rails, stability, ... I consider this board as one of the best 'one board quiver' that you can get. I'm really satisfied with it! If you want to know anything else feel free to ask! If i know the answer i'll share it

Cheers :)

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
Hi Shane!

I never tried the 'old' Laird, so i cannot compare them... This board is my do it all board. Flat, small, medium, ... I'm not a great SUP'er but for my intermediate habilities i really love it. I've friends that ride small sups but three of them have one Laird 2011 in their quiver. It's a really good board with nice rails, stability, ... I consider this board as one of the best 'one board quiver' that you can get. I'm really satisfied with it! If you want to know anything else feel free to ask! If i know the answer i'll share it

Cheers :)

Thanks.  It looks like the thing for me to do is find a demo model!

Jim

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 12:18:04 AM »
Hi!

When Laird was in Portugal a couple years ago, riding shoulder high waves at Guincho, he had the 6" Future Performance centre, about mid-box, with AM1 glass sides.

I've got the 10'6 Surftech Laird Pearson and for small waves, use the supplied 6.5" centre and 3.5" glass sides and find it loosens up the board and the tail still holds for noserides.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:20:09 AM by Jim »

mpedroso

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 06:24:23 AM »
Thank you Jim!

When Laird was in Guincho i couldn't go there as i was working... I hope he returns here this year.

Regarding fins i'm happy with my current setup, but we always want to try different things :) ;) the quad setup i only tried once and it felt weird...

Thank you once again! ;)

Jim

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 07:49:23 AM »
You're welcome, I wasn't there myself, but his fin set-up was shown in a photo in a french SUP mag.
I tried the quad too and thought it was weird, seemed faster but just didn't feel 'right' like the  2+1 does.
I see Laird is bringing out a 2+1 & quad fin set this year: http://www.futuresfins.com/catalog/FUTURES_2012_SUP_LINE.pdf
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:53:27 AM by Jim »

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
After hearing about Derek Hynd surfing his standard boards without fins I went back to using the tiny centre fin that came with my original Laird 10.  I thought I was going to loose a lot of drive, but the board when really well in 3-4" reef conditions.  Of course it was a lot looser.  Maybe Surftech boards come with.a certain fin setup for good reason?

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 05:45:25 PM »
Pearson Laird 10'6"

I got curious and today decided to put the 4" side bites back in.
I was going to run it wit the 9" Surftech fin that came with it...
that I was single finning it with.....but

(- I actually got the board used - it had been a demo and renter,
when I got it it had 4" side bites and a 9" Surftech middle
fin - I assume that is what it came with - I do believe this
was one of the first years of the 10'6" - it has three fin boxes. -)

...but, I decided instead of the 9" fin, I would try a smaller fin.
I found a 6" carbon fiber fin so I used that in the middle
with the 4" side bites.

This setup had its pluses and minuses.
It seemed that if I wasn't lined up with the wave energy,
it was tougher for me to catch the wave.
However, it was definitely easier for me to get the board
into proper position - I was turning very well getting ready for the waves.
As for surfing, it seemed about the same, at least from
the back of the board - maybe turned a bit easier.
On the nose, the ride was less stable
- more wiggly; however, I still got some good ones and had
a good time - probably improve and get used to it.

One thing I did notice was that about five times during the
hour I was out, I think it was when I was parallel to the beach
and perpendicular to the waves and the chop, the board got
very unstable and wiggly.   However, I didn't fall - My ankles
did get an extra work out from it.  This lack of stability
seemed to be the major drawback.

The conditions I was out in were poor - windy and choppy
- waves that came along were about 2 to 3 feet.

Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal