Author Topic: Why do race organizers not seperate the classes so we can race in more  (Read 1482 times)

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
than one category?  Not sure about other areas but the trend in my area (SE USA) seems to be that each race combines the 12'6" boards with the 14' boards so you are racing against each other.  I would love to be able to race on a 12'6" and then be able to race on a 14' board later in the day.  It would be a good way for me to see if I would rather be on a 14' board (purchased a 12'6" board last year and at my size 6'2" and 200lbs I am thinking I might enjoy the 14' category more??????)

PS-Don't tell my wife that I am thinking about a 14' board because I am getting ready to buy a new river board (Badfish/Boardworks inflatable) this weekend and have already been told I am on the board buying s..t list:):):)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Sounds like a recipe for making races really long and tedious affairs. Like Cricket. Only without the clothes and the funny postures.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Cricket isn't a sport it is just an excuse to sit in the sun all day and drink ;D

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Since I have not organized a race I guess I don't really know what I am talking about.  But it doesnt seem like one or two additional races would be that difficult to organize. 

Why do you think it would be a problem Pono?

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Some races do have more than one event--say the main race early and a short race or relay afterwards.  So at those you could use a different board in each, but won't be able to compare your times, since the distances are different. 

Otherwise, most races don't have enough people to not run everyone together--which I like so that you get more people your same speed near you to compete against.  Some of the best races I've ever seen have been people in separate divisions (board length or gender) battling it out, and you'd lose that if you ran them separately.  I'd guess adding a heat is a huge pain for race organizers--that much more time and effort for the volunteers, course monitoring, etc.   I always assume running an event is 10 times more work than it looks. 

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I'm sure there is much more work involved than us racers see.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal