Author Topic: PSH ripper to hull ripper  (Read 23536 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: PSH ripper to hull ripper
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 06:46:54 AM »
Following what you guys are saying and weighing in at 200 the 9-11 should be OK
for me.  Sorry for the interuption, killer.

prskiller

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 09:55:59 AM »
Following what you guys are saying and weighing in at 200 the 9-11 should be OK
for me.  Sorry for the interuption, killer.

No worries, jump on in.  Glad to have this topic help others.  Yeah that 9'11 should do it for you.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »
Interesting thread here...

How does the hull ripper work in smaller waves?  I like riding hull surfboards, and I'm used to the rail to rail transition that hulls require. Can you make the hull ripper "get up and go" in smaller waves?  When the waves are bigger, I tend to ride surfboards.

FYI, I'm 215 lbs... so I'm thinking the 9'11 is my only option, although I would be stoked to ride the 9'7.
Sustainable Surf

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
Just my experience with the HULL RIPPER....I 've had mine since last summer. Live in Northeast Florida and ride it 60+% of the time. As long as the surf is not too mushy it rides great in anything waist high or bigger. In mushy surf or below waist high I ride my 9'6 PSH Wide AA.

Sizing..I'm also 215 lbs. I have the 9'6 Wide Hull Ripper in the wood veneer. It was a little tippy at first but paddles great once you get used to it. I'm a little confused about what PSH is doing with the Hull Rippers in 2012. It seems that they have stopped making the wood veneer Hull Rippers, and just have limited sizes in the vacuum bagged PVC models....shame...the 9'6 WIDE HULL RIPPER  would have worked great for you!!!  Check around, there may be a few of them left....Tim

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PSH ripper to hull ripper
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 08:28:26 AM »
No 2012 models available in mainland USA until later this year...

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »
I'm a bit lighter@165lbs. I have been on the 9'2"ripper for a while. I have been wanting to try the 8'9". Local shop rents one that I will try soon.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 05:48:24 AM »
Nice to hear all this feedback over the hr's.  They have not yet been available over
here.  The first container with 2012 boards will arrive this summer date unkown.
The new models are PVC contruction it says somewhere, heavier but more durable.

blockidog

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
I've been riding the 8'9" HR since the late fall.

At 165 #'s / 5'10" I find the board fits me well up to moderate wind/chop.

It's fast and turns as hard as your ability allows.
Current:
 SUPSurf Machine 5'/93L FoilBoard
 Axis HPS1050, ART999, BSC1060, PNG1150     
 Ensis 5.2 & 3.5
 Sunova Speed 8'2"
 PSH 10'0" Hand Glassed Pulled Nose/Swallow Tail
 SIC 12'6" Bullet SCC
Prior:
 Axis 1010
 Coreban 8'0" VIBE
 PSH 8'9" Hull Ripper Carbon
 Hobie 9'4" CM Raw

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
Hey blockidog,  I saw in your signature line you have a 8 9 hull ripper in carbon. How did you get one? I have never seen a carbon fiber PSH.

Kepa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
Gang,
The 2012 PSH Hull Rippers models are just starting to come out and are in limited availability.  As someone noted above, they are not the same models as the 2011 wood veneers.  The 2012 models are the latest refinements by Blane in the evolution of the Hull Rippers.  Many of the stability concerns have been addressed by adding volume and length.  I'm told the shapes were tested by the team for several months before settling on these models.  I'm sure there is a little confusion right now as the two lines settle in for 2012.  In my experience the PVC construction is not noticeably different in weight from the wood veneers, but is slightly stronger.

As for surfing the HR in small waves, I've had a great time with mine in clean knee high stuff and overhead juice as well.  As with any board, not much does great in mush except a big boat of a board.

I hope this helps.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »
As with any board, not much does great in mush except a big boat of a board.

Actually, in slow mushy junk waves, ShortSUPs (less than 7') are a blast! One of reason is that the foam exert less force on them, so you are not blocked by hitting the foam, and their short length means that even at the slow speed of junk waves, they are planing, where a big board would be in displacement mode.

This said, I will gladly try a Hull Ripper. Only saw one here, but couldn't try it, the owner had lost to screw the vent plug, but the shape was really attractive. The thin rails were specially sexy...

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »
Gang,
The 2012 PSH Hull Rippers models are just starting to come out and are in limited availability.  As someone noted above, they are not the same models as the 2011 wood veneers.  The 2012 models are the latest refinements by Blane in the evolution of the Hull Rippers.  Many of the stability concerns have been addressed by adding volume and length.  I'm told the shapes were tested by the team for several months before settling on these models.  I'm sure there is a little confusion right now as the two lines settle in for 2012.  In my experience the PVC construction is not noticeably different in weight from the wood veneers, but is slightly stronger.

As for surfing the HR in small waves, I've had a great time with mine in clean knee high stuff and overhead juice as well.  As with any board, not much does great in mush except a big boat of a board.

I hope this helps.

Yep,
The 9 7, I rode was from the new batch.

blockidog

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 06:42:26 AM »
Hey blockidog,  I saw in your signature line you have a 8 9 hull ripper in carbon. How did you get one? I have never seen a carbon fiber PSH.

Carbon on the US version designates carbon reinforcements - I believe under the pad.

Call Blueline and check their availability.  I got it there:

http://bluelinepaddlesurf.com/boards/psh.php
Current:
 SUPSurf Machine 5'/93L FoilBoard
 Axis HPS1050, ART999, BSC1060, PNG1150     
 Ensis 5.2 & 3.5
 Sunova Speed 8'2"
 PSH 10'0" Hand Glassed Pulled Nose/Swallow Tail
 SIC 12'6" Bullet SCC
Prior:
 Axis 1010
 Coreban 8'0" VIBE
 PSH 8'9" Hull Ripper Carbon
 Hobie 9'4" CM Raw

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
I'm still trying to decide between the 9'7 or 9'11 HR.  Has anyone surfed the 9'11? How well does it go rail-to-rail?  I'm 215lbs.

I'm leaning towards the 9'11 to get a little extra float and paddling speed. But at 31" wide, I'm worried it might be too wide.
Sustainable Surf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
The New 2012 9 11 model is 29 3/4 if that helps. I would wait for that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal