Author Topic: PSH ripper to hull ripper  (Read 23608 times)

blockidog

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: PSH ripper to hull ripper
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 07:30:25 AM »
Current:
 SUPSurf Machine 5'/93L FoilBoard
 Axis HPS1050, ART999, BSC1060, PNG1150     
 Ensis 5.2 & 3.5
 Sunova Speed 8'2"
 PSH 10'0" Hand Glassed Pulled Nose/Swallow Tail
 SIC 12'6" Bullet SCC
Prior:
 Axis 1010
 Coreban 8'0" VIBE
 PSH 8'9" Hull Ripper Carbon
 Hobie 9'4" CM Raw

paddlesurfpastor

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
Aside from stability, would you all agree that the main difference that 2" makes in the width of a board is  in how "skatey" it is...the ability to rock rail to rail to generate speed? As in the narrower the board, the more that rail-to-rail increases?

Kourgen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »
Just to give you a idea on sizing info....
 Im 80kg and ride the 9'2x 30 1/2 hull ripper. My mate is 110kg and rides the 9'11 hull ripper. And my other mate is 90kg and is purchasing the 9'6 x30 1/2 hull ripper.(All experienced surfers surfing east coast Austrralian conditions.)
ILL be looking to invest in the 9'11 to use as my gun.
These boards can be a hand full in choppy conditions so i would definatley reconmend choosing a bit more length.
Between the three boards theres not a lot of difference in the volume but i think that the extra length helps with stability.
These boards are suited for surfers who like surfing off the back foot.
 IMO performance wise theres nothing that surfs better .
When surfing small waves(waist height) i use a small set of quads , its amazing how much speed you can generate on a 9 foot board.
Then in the bigger stuff (up to ceiling height) i just use the standard fins that come with the board.
Cheers

Wazza66

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
I have been following this thread and have surfed the 8'9 HR, 9'6 HR  and own the 9'2 hull Ripper. I have been riding PSH's for many years and also have owned many other brand boards as well as making a few of my own in the early days. I have no ties with PSH and buy all my boards.

I am 93kgs, 5'11 and have been riding boards from 8'0 to 10'6 and can share a few thoughts on them. I have surfed the 9'2 HR more than the others in surf from 1-8 foot.

The 8'9 HR surfs great and is easier to throw around, paddles well and is quite stable if you are intermediate to advanced level under 95 kgs. Probably not a beginners board of choice. You have to be prepared to push this board like a short board. Not for cruising.

The 9'2 HR is a great all-round board for most conditions. The board paddles well and is extremely stable and the only difference I notice between the 8'9 and this one is it  feel  a little longer in the swing factor when cutting back.It is awesome for paddling back out through the whitewash with the pointy thin nose and rails. I mainly use this board in the bigger days as I have a 8'6 Magic Carpet Luke Egan which is my everyday board in east coast Australian surf.

My Mate rides the 9'6 HR and 9'2 HR and is a 92kg experienced rider(see seabreeze http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/psh-hull-rippers/  and tells me the 9'6 HR has more of a mal glide to it but still goes well. Maybe this is because of the extra length. He  prefers the 9'2 HR.

I ride all these boards with the PSH quad set and they do fit well with the boards and their performance. They generate alot of straight line speed which makes turning easier from the back foot when right over the rear fins.

If you are a front foot surfer I don't think this board is for you.

These style of boards do require a little bit of time to dial them in. So don't write them of after 1 surf as they are a unique sup design.

If you can demo them even better.

Hope this helps you guys who are undecided.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:38:05 PM by Wazza66 »

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
I just picked up a 9'11 Hull Ripper. I'll let you all know how it works for a 220lb human soon...

I also need to find a set of quad large PSH future fins. :)
Sustainable Surf

prskiller

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »
I just picked up a 9'11 Hull Ripper. I'll let you all know how it works for a 220lb human soon...

I also need to find a set of quad large PSH future fins. :)

Post up some pics of the board if you can ;)

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 12:41:43 AM »
I'm pretty stoked with my 9'11 Hull Ripper so far. I'm 220lbs, and it floats me ok. Although it's a little squirrely, but that's due to poor technique most likely.

One the wave, it's a fun board! I can really feel how the hull shape goes rail-to-rail smoothly. It's dynamic to pump down the line, and it makes sections with ease. Not bad for a 31" wide board at all.

I've used it with Futures Controllers quads, and with the Rasta Keels in the front, and GL-2 quad rears. Both fin packages work just fine, although the Controllers seemed smoother rail to rail. I'm going to try it with the Rastas in front, and the Controller rears next.

Sustainable Surf

banzai

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »
I have to totally with some of the comments on how well the hull rippers surf. I have the 2012 PVC 8 9 which is actually closer to 8 11 and the first time I took it out and pushed it the board reacted so fast that I almost pulled a leg muscle trying to keep up with the  board. I've been riding it for 3 months now and I'm still find out more about how much you can do on this board. You definately have to use your paddle for stability through the turns if you push it hard. Unless you are a rubber man, the board can turn quicker than you can react when worked hard in any turn...perhaps if I was 30 years younger I might feel a little different.

Gene who works at PSH is about 190 lbs and recommended the 8 9 to me because he also rides the same size. The stats on the board shows that it will handle guys over 200 lbs. I have the 8 6 bamboo ripper which is another great board for surfing but I rather surf the hull. I've only surfed it twice in overhead conditions and it handles. Even small knee high stuff can be fun, the board is versitle and is only limited by what you can do.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard