Author Topic: Paddle Replacement Questions  (Read 3867 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Paddle Replacement Questions
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:47:13 AM »
My first board was a 2011 SUP ATX, which came as a package with a an ATX adjustable carbon fiber paddle.  The blade is offset and measures roughly 8.75 inches by 15-17 inches.  Not sure how to measure the height correctly.  I am a 51 year old 200 lb long time weight lifter.  I have plenty of strength and endurance (have run several marathons). Longest paddles so far have been up to 5 1/2 hours nonstop.  I am guessing around ten miles.  I have been pretty satisfied with my paddle, but I am beginning to wonder what I might be missing.  I don't have an shoulder pain or anything like that.  Paddle seems pretty light to me, just really curious.  I am thinking about recreational racing and even longer distances.  Mostly flat water and occasionally bumpy lake paddling.  Not afraid to go out in really strong winds as long as I can make some forward progress.  I live on a very large lake and really do get to the beach much to surf, but may soon try it.  I currently have a 12 6 inch displacement hull board.  I like the sounds of the Ke Nalu (Pomo Bill) paddles, but I am not sure if I want to spend $300-$400 bucks for a new paddle.  Can anyone offer insight into what paddle I currently have and your thoughts about whether I might find it worthwhile to buy a new paddle?  Type cost, etc.        Pono Bill?  Anyone else?
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: Paddle Replacement Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »
The SUP ATX "carbon" paddles are very heavy for what they claim to be.  I'm guessing they are largely fiberglass with cosmetic carbon, but I don't know.  Also, adjustables are going to be heavier than fixed handle paddles custom cut to your size. 

I like Kialoa paddles.  Very light and I love the T grip handle and oval shaft.  I also like that their blade shapes take a layer of electrical tape better than any other paddle out there. 
The best and (and cheapest) way to improve the qualty of your time on the water is to invest in a premium carbon paddle.  You will know exactly where that $300-$400 went with each stroke you take.

raf
owner of Soposup
www.soposup.com

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Paddle Replacement Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
See if you can borrow someone's Kialoa, Werner, Kenalu, etc. and see what you think.  I thought I was happy with my paddle too until I borrowed my friend's Kialoa one day.  I'm mainly surfing and the way it sliced through the water and made the transitions so much easier made it an easy sell.  Plus I found one used and saved half the cost...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:12 AM »
Where are you located Raven? If you're in New England we can hook up for a demo of a Ke Nalu. Only way to really know if you like it and if the difference is enough to justify the expense. Obviously a lot of seasoned paddlers are saying great things about them but demoing is still the best thing to do if possible.

The ATX paddle isn't terrible but you will definitely see and feel a difference if you get any of the top brands full carbon paddle. I've always been a big proponent of a quality paddle and the Ke Nalu design underscores that. It encourages and rewards good form and technique.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:03:02 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:49:37 AM »
Raven,

As it is such a huge investment, it is imperative that you try them all before you buy.  But the elite paddles are indeed a step above.  You will notice a very big difference.  My first paddle was a carbon fiber Starboard paddle that I ordered with my first board from Windsurfing Direct.  I thought it was fine.  Then I picked up a Quick Blade Elite... OMG!  Paddled with Quick Blades for a few years... very satisfied... great people, great customer service, great company,  then picked up a Ke Nalu.  Another quantum leap.  Then I sold or gave away all of my old Quick Blades... to stoked Zoners.  The Ke Nalu paddle is just another level.  Oh, and they are pretty tough.  Anecdotally, in the past month, my surfing buddy Adam snapped a very expensive CF prototype paddle (non-Ke Nalu and considerably heavier than my Ke Nalu) and buckled an SUP at our secret NW spot.  I endured some horrific closeouts but my ultralight Ke Nalu is still tip top.

Not invested in the company in any way... other than the paddles that I have purchased.

Good luck and let us know what you get and how it compares.

Be sure to check the Classifieds as you may be able to get something used... probably not a Ke Nalu, however... that is some powerful anecdotal evidence right there.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
I like the sounds of the Ke Nalu (Pomo Bill) paddles, but I am not sure if I want to spend $300-$400 bucks for a new paddle.

I'm by no means, anywhere any where near one of those "seasoned paddlers" that "stoneaxe" is talking about, and I had the exact same thought as above....."$300-$400 bucks for a new paddle?  C'mon, it's just a paddle".

Well, after reading all of the posts in the Ke Nalu thread and talking with a few guys via PMs, I schedules a demo with a newer Ke Nalu dealer in my area (Ralph Bill owner of "SUP-Position"......shameless little plug for him there  ;) :D), and was pretty much convinced the moment I put the "Wiki" in my hands that I was buying a new paddle that day....the first half dozen strokes out on the water.....I was positive of it.

The difference in weight was incredible, and even though I purchased the slightly larger "Maliko" paddle, the solidness of pull and power of the "Wiki" compared to my original carbon fiber paddle was incredible.....even though my "package deal" paddle, was noticeable larger when compared side to side.

Since Ralph was gracious enough to paddle along with me using my paddle, I was able to switch off back and forth just to make sure I was really feeling what I was feeling.  After about 15-20 minutes with the "Wiki", when I switched to my paddle, it felt as though I might as well be paddling with a 2x4.

It's absolutely crazy how two similar looking carbon fiber paddles can feel and perform so completely different.  Like the others here have said, see if you can find a dealer, or someone with a used "performance" paddle and give it a demo.....I think you'll instantly answer your own question, with regards to spending $300-$400 on a paddle.

Don't remember who told me, but I think it bears repeating......"They call it Paddle Boarding don't they?  The first word is "paddle" for a reason, why not use the best one you can find?"   Made sense to me and I'm so very pleased with my "investment"......it stepped me up to a whole new level of SUSing and fun, almost instantly. 

I too would say, "just "try before you buy", but I think you'll be very pleased and surprised when you do.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »
As your board choices change over the coming years, so will your paddle requirements.

With the KeNalu, you're making an investment that can be altered to match future boards.

Being able to replace / exchange, blade sizes, shaft flex, handle types, all with just a hair drying and some hot glue, makes it the wisest choice in my opinion.

Then factor in the performance and its a no brainier.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
+1 on what DW said.

I wasn't even thinking about that... with the other performance paddles, you  cut and you are done.

With the Ke Nalu, if you buy the adjustable handle, a simple hairdryer adjustment will allow you to adjust length.  This becomes a big deal as your quuiver grows and you are switching between boards with recessed decks, concave decks, flat decks etc.  It is also helpful for trying to optimize your stroke (you can do micro-height adjustments on the fly)...

Also, you can use the same paddle for distance and surfing for your eventual surf trip.  Just be careful after you adjust it.  Make sure your adustment does not twist the handle over one way or the other... lest you be scooping some water.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »
The other beautiful thing about KeNalus s they have created a low priced second hand market in QBs, kilos etc... Scored myself a qb 110 elite at a really good price ;D

Yes the QBs don't feel as nice as teh KeNalu but they are still really good paddles ESP iat second hand prices

odzilla

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
I would suggest you down load Ke nalu's free on line book on choosing a paddle. Very informative. I have also found a lot of information about paddles searching this forum. Blue Planet Surf also has a new full carbon paddle that is very reasonably priced.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »
+1 on the Kenalus.  I was a skeptic when I would read PonoBill's posts about the importance of a good paddle.  I picked up a thrashed C4 from a rental place and thought it was good enough.  I'm not doing major crossings or catching epic waves in secret spots--just a dumpy guy in his 40s trying to get exercise.  But perhaps out of a need for some retail therapy, I did take the plunge and get a Kenalu last fall.

Rocked.  My.  World.

I know my skills are always increasing, but first time out, I noticed it was just so much easier to get moving and catch waves--where just those few strokes really count.  It sounds like you're already in shape and skilled--you'll be amazed at what a step up in paddles will do.  I'm not a huge gear-queer and I don't have limitless funds I can spend on custom boards, but I don't regret the Kenalu purchase one bit.  You'll appreciate having the best.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
Wow!! Thanks for all of the great responses!!  I just did not anticipate that the paddle would make THAT much difference.  Looks like I need to loosen up the wallet!!  Good advice on testing out a paddle.  I am in the Columbia SC area and not much of a SUP scene here yet.  Might have to get down to Charleston and seek out a demo.  From the comment here, I will watch the classsifieds here, but I am leaning toward a Ke Nalu Maliko or Molokai with the adjustable handle.   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
Raven Rider, I would highly recc. attending the Carolina Cup April 28 in Wilmington NC.  Every paddle maker will be represented there, lots of opportunities to demo them all, and you can usually score a good price on a new or used one with no shipping, etc. 

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 08:11:40 PM »
Thanks!!  I have a reservation for the Carolina Cup and hope to get a demo while I am there.
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]