Author Topic: Coreban 14' Alpha Race vs Starboard 14' Coastrunner  (Read 4217 times)

ROBB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coreban 14' Alpha Race vs Starboard 14' Coastrunner
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
Any comments or input on the these 2 boards...how do they compare to each other....Thanks Rob

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coreban 14' Alpha Race vs Starboard 14' Coastrunner
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
Coastrunner is a terrific downwind board but not a particularly fast board on flat water. The Coreban is in my opinion, a little bit of everything but not great at anything. I regard it as a good cruising board, definitely not a first choice race board or downwind board. The Coastrunner is on my shopping list but the Coreban is not.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »
I have / had both boards and they are fun.  Depends on what you want out of a 14 and what conditions you will be paddling and is it for racing or downwinders or lake exercise and your size and weight.  My wife and I have paddled distance with them and switched off on the same conditions.  I found the Coreban alpha 14 to be smoother and faster and glided easier than the starboard coast runner 14.  The Coreban was also tippier than the coast runner, so I could paddle the cr faster and stronger so for me it ended up faster for me.  I also felt more comfortable on the cr for stepping back and turning.  The cr was easier in wind chop and small waves.  The Coreban was in carbon and Kevlar and the cr in AST so the Coreban was lighter which I liked.

If the water is flat and glassy I liked the Coreban Alpha 14 better.  In the rough Ocean I like the Starboard Coast Runner better.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
Wait for the Coreban DART 14 Looks like it will ROCK!

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:44:02 AM »
Agree with JimK, Dart looks awesome and is due out this summer I think.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:07:15 AM »
We expect the new Coreban Dart here in a few weeks and I'll be sure to take some pics and also take it for a paddle.

I would choose the 14' Starboard over the 14' Alpha race Coreban myself.. Unless you want a pretty board that works best on glassy water and with light weight paddlers.

The Starboard would be a better board for bigger people.. Rough water.. Down-winders etc.. Both great boards.

DJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal