Author Topic: Question for DJ and other Naish Glide experts  (Read 8635 times)

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question for DJ and other Naish Glide experts
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »

I think we know how much you dont like Naish boards. Not everyones got the $$$ for a SIC or Aircore.

I dislike them so much that I own both a 14 Glide, and a 14 Javellin Woodie and plan to keep both. My 14 Glide is my go-to board for the Columbia River, where it is magic. But anyone racing one in flat water is going to be under a serious handicap.

Neither of them is particularly stable, both take getting use to. The Glide 14 has a movement that will toss the most agile people in the water. The Jav is a continual dance. Especially at my weight.

cuz, the point being your 1st comment doesn't help this thread at all.  If you own it, post something to help the guy asking the question, not.... "that's not saying much"
Maybe I can help.  The original question was, "Is the old Glide representative of the new one in terms of stability?"  I own one of the old ones, but not a new one.  But I do know someone who owns an old one and uses it often for downwinders, and he HAS tried the new one.  He said that the old one is a bit more stable, but it's not a big deal, because you'll get your sea legs quickly.  

This same guy also gave me some additional info that might help Old School.  He said he thinks the new 14' Glides are better than the old ones.  But he said that's not saying much because he thinks anyone considering getting one should know that they're really only good in short period downwind, although he did say that that was just his opinion--seemed relevant though since Old School said he'd be using it for downwinders.  This same guy also said that he has a Javelin (the old shape) that seems faster than the new Glide.  So for anyone looking for a really fast board, the Glide--even the 2012, so certainly the old version--may not be the best choice.  But again he said that was just how it felt to him.  I know some of this goes beyond what Old School asked but it seemed like it might be useful so I thought I'd pass it along.

Hope this helps.  

what? first off, what he told you is one thing, what he told old school is a different thing.  I'll keep this simple for both of you. 

QUESTION:  is the old glide representative of the new one in terms of stability?

not, I own this, I own that, this is faster then that, only good for certain kind of downwind runs...by the way there actually are guys using glides for maliko runs. You own a 14' great, you own both designs, even better post about that! not "ah the board is alright... theres faster ones" this isn't a board vs board topic now i'm sure someone is going to take this in a literal way but i dont care you can read between the lines.

if you have both or used both perhaps answering the question should be more like.... If you could only have one, which would it be? not... theres faster boards out there. So you own lot of naish boards (I also know how much of an SIC fan you are, but that doesn't matter here) great! A+ on that brah, you can provide some good info then.  I got the most repect for you and your Ke'nalus for sure (I'm planning on picking up my 1st one this week) not bashing on the personal level, just how that comment doesn't help

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. Seriously, I know I tend to run on, and wander afield. It's my nature. I'm even worse in conversations, sometimes even I can't figure out where the hell I''m going with something once I start talking.

And I've been beaten by guys on Glides, which seems extra bad to me, because I know I'm on a faster board. It's mostly the paddler, but that doesn't make me want to race on slower boards.

And yes, I know we weren't really talking about racing, but it's always a race, even if it's just you and a buddy. And refer to paragraph one.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:37:04 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »
If you guys are going to have a pissing match, make it over something better than this. 

Thank you to everyone who weighed in: Naish fan, Naish hater, and all those in between.

I spent a little time on a 2011 Glide 14' yesterday.  Didn't have the means to arrange a real downwind run, which is a shame because the lagoon was angry yesterday.  Put in at a buddy's dock on the east side - he has two ways out to the lagoon, about a mile apart from each other N-S.  If the wind was more out of the NNW or SSW, I'd have enough protection to get upwind in the canal, and could ride downwind in the lagoon.  But the wind was out of the WNW, so I could barely even get out of the canal.  But I did manage to stay on the board with just a little difficulty in the flat water, and got a taste of how fast it is downwind.  I just let the waves and the wind turn it around, and it took off without so much as a paddle stroke.  About 25-30 knot wind, but limited fetch across the lagoon, so real short period. 

Pretty sure I'd spend a lot of time in the water in any kind of rough conditions, but that's part of getting better.  Still would like to try the starboard coast runner - wider and more volume - but the only demo-able model (a used, damaged carbon model in Ft. Lauderdale) was sold last week. 

I understand there aren't enough sales in Florida to justify big demo fleets, but I'm not sure how dealers expect to grow volume when no one can try their boards.  I only learned about the Glide that I demoed (available because of a crease on the front bottom of the board) because I went to a Starboard demo on Saturday in Melbourne - but no race or downwind models to be seen there either.  Frustrating.

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
Frustrating.

I went through some of this last year when trying to sort out a raceboard.  It was tough to find them at shops.  Much easier to make friends and ask to try theirs.  I just kept showing up to all of the local races and events til I got a chance to try them.  While that may not be easiest thing to do, I was rewarded with being able to buy used ones from my new friends since everyone down here keeps upgrading their boards every couple of months.

I plan on checking out these events because they are right out on the beach and there will be plenty of boards to see in the ocean. in and out of the waves, paddling and downwind.

- deerfield beach SUP surf on April 1st
- cocoa beach SUP/Surf Race event on April 7-8

If you are looking for a flat water board then events on the intracoastal/calm waters is where you'll see plenty of those.

I made it down to Key West Last year for the lap around the island.  Lots of variety down there and some of the craziest unlimited boards I've ever seen. WOW they are fast.

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
Thanks.  I definitely want to make it to a couple of races this spring,just to see what's going on and try a few boards. 

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 08:46:56 AM »
I'm definitely NOT a Naish Hater

As a big guy I like the 2012 over the 2011 for stability

But If you are a big guy (particularly in Fla.) I would not over look the most stable and atleast from my meager perspective the fastest stock 14Ft is the Fanatic Fly 14Ft it is 28" wide and TONS of volume (320L) They have a regular version (great for ocean and down wind racing even rides small EC waves too) and thery make a super fast Flatwater version (not quite as stable butFast in FLAT water like nothing I've seen.

If you can't find a Fanatic demo in Fla. just PM me and I'll get it arranged for you.

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »
Jim,

That's funny.  There is a used Fanatic in Wilmington, NC.  I'm almost willing to buy it without demoing, but the shop owner is reluctant to risk shipping it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal