Author Topic: Question for DJ and other Naish Glide experts  (Read 8664 times)

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Question for DJ and other Naish Glide experts
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »
Still can't seem to find a 2012 Glide to demo in Florida - but I do have a shop that is going to let me rent a slightly damaged 2011 Glide 14'.  I'm pretty sure that the old Glide has way too much rocker for what passes as downwind conditions in Florida, but it's all I have to try out.

So my question:  is the old glide representative of the new one in terms of stability?  I know the dimensions are essentially the same, but the rails look much different.  Moving from essentially a big guy beginner board, I want to be sure I know what I'm getting stability wise if I order the new Glide. 

Any input is appreciated!

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Question for DJ and other Naish Glide experts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
By no means an expert, DJ's your man there, but I'm at the big end (6'2, 260) and balance-challenged and have spent a little time on both. From a stability POV  I found the "old" glide a bit more generally stable and tractable than the new one - I suspect the softer rails up front on the 2012 give it a bit more initial tip and a bit less positive feel for its edges. That said, the hard rails on the '11 are definitely more catchy in side chop than the '12.  I also found the 2011 a bit easier to move around on, seems to have a bigger sweet spot. To me the '12 felt slicker through the water but I got on better with the '11. FWIW I ended up buying my 14 from a local shaper anyway

Just my $0.02.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:35:29 PM »
I've tried both, and I own a 2011 or maybe it's a 2010? But anyway, the older Glide is a little more stable, but it's not a big deal, you'll get your sea legs quickly. I'm still not hugely impressed with the Glide 14 though the new ones are better--but that's not saying much. The old ones are only good in short period downwind IMHO. The 2012 Glide doesn't seem as fast as my woodie Javelin. There's a lot of faster 14's around, at least it feels that way to me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »
I agree with what the other guys have said.. Well sort of.. To be honest if I had to pick the more stable I would say the new one is slightly more stable even though it does have that slight quick initial tip.. You get used to that.. I think that it also has alot to do with the way that it tips when it does tip.. The new Glide is flater and tips more like a normal board.. The old one has more rocker and when tipped violently it does a bit of a hammock-swing motion and that can be a little off-putting at first.. but you do get used to that also.. The new one with its slightly softer rails doesn't mind being pushed around in confused chop and back-wash situations.. The older one tends to catch a bit with its sharper rails.. The new one is overall definatly faster.. Gets planing earlier and stays planing longer.. But speed isn't everything.. Comparing it to the Javelin is like comparing apples with oranges.. very different boards.. The old one is also much more on-off with its speed.. Maybe it's coming from a windsurfing background where with short boards you are either going or not going (planing or not planing) and no in between.. I like the older Glide with the way it jumps onto the plane like someone has pulled the rug out from underneath you.. even if it is a bit harder to get going.. I also like the extra nose rocker.. Check the nose possition from the water in my latest DW vid.. "Follow me".. This is a pretty flat day and the end of the nose is often touching (check the bit near the end where I get blown in a strong gust without paddling) and I would rather touching of a planing nose than the piercing of a displacement type nose.. The trick is to stand well forward on these Glides.. Standing a few inches too far back on both will make it very hard to catch runners and make the board slow when paddling flat water.. Your toes should be touching the line where the waffle grip meets the smooth grip on the old one.. and toes feeling where the board slopes up on the deck on the new one.. The good thing about the new one is you don't need to look down.. you can feel the right spot without even looking.. It won't hurt to demo the old Glide.. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs and I find it pretty stable.. The new 14' Glide is an awesome board and I will get one myself one day.

DJ

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:29:47 PM by DavidJohn »

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
I've tried both, and I own a 2011 or maybe it's a 2010? But anyway, the older Glide is a little more stable, but it's not a big deal, you'll get your sea legs quickly. I'm still not hugely impressed with the Glide 14 though the new ones are better--but that's not saying much. The old ones are only good in short period downwind IMHO. The 2012 Glide doesn't seem as fast as my woodie Javelin. There's a lot of faster 14's around, at least it feels that way to me.

I think we know how much you dont like Naish boards. Not everyones got the $$$ for a SIC or Aircore. IMO the old glide isn't going to be breaking any speed records in a flat water race when compared to the Jav or the newer 2012 glide with a longer water line. the jav has a much longer water line better suited for flatter water. But DW conditions the glide obviously has the upperhand with the rocker. different strokes for different folks cuz, but it also depends on the paddler for sure. I participated in a short race today... it was a pretty much a sprint race, and super Malia conditions. There was a 2012 Jav in the line up, I was on my 2011 glide... out of the box he was keeping up with me not losing not gaining, halfway point he's fading and fading and gone left behind what happened?? all paddler. I really dont think naish boards are as terrible as you make it seem.

Still can't seem to find a 2012 Glide to demo in Florida - but I do have a shop that is going to let me rent a slightly damaged 2011 Glide 14'.  I'm pretty sure that the old Glide has way too much rocker for what passes as downwind conditions in Florida, but it's all I have to try out.

So my question:  is the old glide representative of the new one in terms of stability?  I know the dimensions are essentially the same, but the rails look much different.  Moving from essentially a big guy beginner board, I want to be sure I know what I'm getting stability wise if I order the new Glide.  

Any input is appreciated!

big guy beginner board to naish glide, wether or not it's the 2010-11 or 2012, IMO there is quite a difference, I'm sure you'll find it faster, but also less stable compared to something in the 29+ width range. It's not a big deal though, you just get use to it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:27:38 PM by JF808 »

corgi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:56:49 AM »
I got my 2012 14' glide this week and took it on a Hawaii Kai downwind today.  The conditions weren't that good with light winds and choppy water, but the board was stable, caught even the small bumps well and I was very impressed with how well it did in cross chop (like DJ said ).  The boards construction is very tough and IMO its a very good board for the price.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:44:24 AM »
I own a 2012  Glide 14 and use to own a 2010 Glide 14.  I agree with DJ on all the points he mentioned on the differences of the two boards, he nailed it! Because I live in an area with less than ideal downwind and lots of bigger open ocean swells, into the wind padding, cross chop, and flat water, the 2012 is a much better choice.   If you live in a place that doesn't always have ideal downwind, then it's really important to consider how the board you choose, performs in the conditions you will be paddling in.  It catches small bumps way better than the 2010, is much more forgiving in cross chop, and the rails don't grab like the 2010 would.  The 2012, with it's lower rocker, doesn't get blown around as much as the 2010, although it still will get off track on strong side wind with the stock downwind fin.  I feel both boards are stable for my 165 lbs and changing out the downwind fin to one with more area adds a bit more stability and tracking if that's what you're looking for.  With just a 3 lb or so difference between the carbon and AST, and a $1000 price difference, the AST is the better deal. 

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 04:53:27 AM »
Many, many thanks for all the informed replies!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »

I think we know how much you dont like Naish boards. Not everyones got the $$$ for a SIC or Aircore.

I dislike them so much that I own both a 14 Glide, and a 14 Javellin Woodie and plan to keep both. My 14 Glide is my go-to board for the Columbia River, where it is magic. But anyone racing one in flat water is going to be under a serious handicap.

Neither of them is particularly stable, both take getting use to. The Glide 14 has a movement that will toss the most agile people in the water. The Jav is a continual dance. Especially at my weight.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:37:40 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »
My local shop in Jupiter has a 2012 Naish Glide.  Contact Blueline Paddlesurf to check it out.   

+1 (561) 744-7474.  http://www.bluelinepaddlesurf-fl.com/

Also i just listed my 2010 12'Naish Glide - Wood
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/spo/2879630771.html

Fun board for downwind, 4-6' swell surf and windsurfing.   The only thing it was missing was a centerboard. That's why it's for sale.  I just replaced it with a 2011 Starboard SUPer.

Come on down to Jupiter and you can try them both. 

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
Wilanz,

I saw the posting for you 12 footer.  Unfortunately, I'm not really interested in the 12' design.  I'm 6'4", 250, so I'm really looking for a 14.  Thanks for letting me know there is one at Blueline.  Blueline and Jupiter paddlesports are about the only two places I haven't been yet. 

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »

I think we know how much you dont like Naish boards. Not everyones got the $$$ for a SIC or Aircore.

I dislike them so much that I own both a 14 Glide, and a 14 Javellin Woodie and plan to keep both. My 14 Glide is my go-to board for the Columbia River, where it is magic. But anyone racing one in flat water is going to be under a serious handicap.

Neither of them is particularly stable, both take getting use to. The Glide 14 has a movement that will toss the most agile people in the water. The Jav is a continual dance. Especially at my weight.

cuz, the point being your 1st comment doesn't help this thread at all.  If you own it, post something to help the guy asking the question, not.... "that's not saying much"

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »

cuz, the point being your 1st comment doesn't help this thread at all.  If you own it, post something to help the guy asking the question, not.... "that's not saying much"
Maybe I can help.  The original question was, "Is the old Glide representative of the new one in terms of stability?"  I own one of the old ones, but not a new one.  But I do know someone who owns an old one and uses it often for downwinders, and he HAS tried the new one.  He said that the old one is a bit more stable, but it's not a big deal, because you'll get your sea legs quickly.  

This same guy also gave me some additional info that might help Old School.  He said he thinks the new 14' Glides are better than the old ones.  But he said that's not saying much because he thinks anyone considering getting one should know that they're really only good in short period downwind, although he did say that that was just his opinion--seemed relevant though since Old School said he'd be using it for downwinders.  This same guy also said that he has a Javelin (the old shape) that seems faster than the new Glide.  So for anyone looking for a really fast board, the Glide--even the 2012, so certainly the old version--may not be the best choice.  But again he said that was just how it felt to him.  I know some of this goes beyond what Old School asked but it seemed like it might be useful so I thought I'd pass it along.

Hope this helps.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:08:59 PM by pdxmike »

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 08:49:26 PM »
Wilanz,

I saw the posting for you 12 footer.  Unfortunately, I'm not really interested in the 12' design.  I'm 6'4", 250, so I'm really looking for a 14.  Thanks for letting me know there is one at Blueline.  Blueline and Jupiter paddlesports are about the only two places I haven't been yet. 

I've used both the old (2010) 12' and 14' Glides here in Florida, Paddling and windsurfing them.  The 14' was a little quicker but not as stable.  The 12' version has some nice stability to paddle out the inlet and get out past shore break to shoulder/head high waves.

My buddy just sold his 14' Glide about 2 days ago here in Jupiter.  I thought about buying it but since I primarily do ocean paddling, I wanted more stability even if it was a little slower.   There was a big difference in volume back in the 2010 models when going from the 12 to the 14.  The new ones 12'6 to 14' have very similar volumes.  That ~27" width does take some getting used to.

Blueline Paddlesurf has the 2012 Naish Glide  - 12'6.  It's very different with a reversebow nose and the standing area has looks a little more square with a bit of a sunken deck.  I'm looking forward to trying it out sometime but since they removed the windsurf option.  It's not on my list of boards.

Hope to catch up with you for some paddling.  I like getting out in the mornings before work from 7-9 AM.  Usually the ocean and lately with all this wind, it's been windSUPsurfing.  I'm always looking for buddies to do one way trips with. 

We had a group make a 16 mile trip from Jensen to Ft. Pierce.   I usually drive right past vero to sup surf in cocoa beach.

Happy board shopping and be sure to demo as many as you can. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »
Thanks for the translation PDX.

Just to set the record straight, I actually own five Naish boards (seven if you include windsurfers and eight if you include kite boards). Two 11'6" nalus (one in Oregon, one in Maui) a 10'6", a glide 14 and a Javellin. Not exactly a Naish hater. I just answered the question the way I see it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal