Author Topic: Rocker #'s  (Read 5228 times)

Shaper1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Rocker #'s
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:12:47 PM »
I am just starting to shape some SUPs and was wondering for surfing if somone could give me a ball park rocker # for nose, 12in nose, tail 12 in tail?
for a:
SImmons style 8ft

10 ft longboard laird pearson arrow style

short ripper style

Not trying to get any secrets just some ballpark # so I dont totally wast these blanks. I have been shaping for 6 years and am just starting to do SUPs for myself and wife but prob not for the shops bc everyone here buys cheap china stuff.

Cheers, David

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Rocker #'s
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 04:41:20 AM »
I measure every SUP I can get my hands on to create my own database.

The average for an 8 footer is about 3.25 tail and 5.75 nose. Probably flatter for a Simmons. Maybe 3" tail and 5.5 nose.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »

The average for an 8 footer is about 3.25 tail and 5.75 nose. Probably flatter for a Simmons. Maybe 3" tail and 5.5 nose.

Hi DW
I remember seeing one of your blog with a list of measurements on all your boards.  Can you link it here?  thanks
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Shaper1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »
Cheers going to mow some foam right now! trying to finish one before I leave for washington on tues plus 4 other boards for a shop. No rest for the wicked or shaper lol

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:43:23 AM »
aloha shaper1
how bout some pics.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »

Hi DW
I remember seeing one of your blog with a list of measurements on all your boards.  Can you link it here?  thanks

The chart didn't include rocker

Shaper1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
Well I think I had some luck its a little differnt for my first sup. I did a simmons inspired board since small funky boards are kind of my niche. I ended up with 4 7/8 nose I think and just under 3 for tail. Since my normal simms is 3 and 3/4 I think going lower than most is ok since I ride such low rockered boards. It ended up 7'11 x 30 x 4 1/4. Its has a hull entry to deep single to deep spiral vee. I also stepped the rails to be the same size as my HP long boards for big guys. I may have completley ruined a blank or it may end up ok so  we will see you can check a pic at my blog.

girvinsurfboards.bogspot.com

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
on my  board a custom form  KinG paddlesports the  nose is 6.5 inches and the tail  rocker is 3.0   but I am going with a v bottom not  concave so it may be different for  concaves, This is also a surf board. and is 10'3
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Shaper1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:32:22 PM »
I went with low rocker since its based on a Mini simmons. I did a hull entry into single to spiral vee out the tail... Going to ride it soon hopefully we will see. I have only suped once on a 9 foot board and cought on quick. I have been surfing for a long time short and longboards so I enjoy the new challenge. I think I will make a 9'8 nose rider next. Thanks fo rthe help and sugestions.

kingdavid

• Rincon Status
  • Let's share the stoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »
The amount of rocker really depends on the type of waves being ridden, the style of board, the outline of the board and the surfing preferences of the rider. At King's Paddle Sports we run 6.25" in the nose and about 3.75 to 4" in the tail of our 9' Crossover models. The more rocker we use; the more the board hunts for wave geometry where the rocker fits. While extra rocker makes the board turn easily, it also scrubs off speed. When we build boards with extra rocker we build the speed back into the boards by placing fairly deep concaves in the bottom. We run a deep single into double vee concave. Keep in mind that here at King's "we build surfboards that you stand up paddle vs. stand up boards you might be able to surf." It is a mindset that we carry into the shaping room  ;)

Feel free to call or write me anytime...

Dave Daum
dave@kingspaddlesports.com
www.kingspaddlesports.com   

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
The amount of rocker really depends on the type of waves being ridden, the style of board, the outline of the board and the surfing preferences of the rider. At King's Paddle Sports we run 6.25" in the nose and about 3.75 to 4" in the tail of our 9' Crossover models. The more rocker we use; the more the board hunts for wave geometry where the rocker fits. While extra rocker makes the board turn easily, it also scrubs off speed. When we build boards with extra rocker we build the speed back into the boards by placing fairly deep concaves in the bottom. We run a deep single into double vee concave. Keep in mind that here at King's "we build surfboards that you stand up paddle vs. stand up boards you might be able to surf." It is a mindset that we carry into the shaping room  ;)

Feel free to call or write me anytime...

Dave Daum
dave@kingspaddlesports.com
www.kingspaddlesports.com   
the master has spoken-you can take that advice to the bank!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »
what DD said

Shaper1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
Thanks Kings, I took the board out finally for a surf and it was fun. I thiink somone not used to riding low rockered boards would be having a hard time but I loved it. Got a fun little barrell on it and the tail held so I am stoked and cant wait to shape my next one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal