Author Topic: hobie sumo delam  (Read 10029 times)

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: hobie sumo delam
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
this plug can be loosened with a coin so it should have been shipped that way i guess

Sounds like it's not a self venting plug, all the self venting vents I have seen have a hex head not a coin slot.

I don't understand why they don't put the self venting plugs in the new race boards. Yes the coin types are 2-3 bucks to buy vrs the 20 bucks for a self venting. same labor to put it in but it can save a board in a situation like this. I have seen some of the older Bark boards with the cheap vents.

Sorry for your board, put some pictures up and start working on getting it fixed.

Just for info I have had good luck using the waterproof gorilla glue in fixing delams.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »
this plug can be loosened with a coin so it should have been shipped that way i guess

Sounds like it's not a self venting plug, all the self venting vents I have seen have a hex head not a coin slot.

I don't understand why they don't put the self venting plugs in the new race boards. Yes the coin types are 2-3 bucks to buy vrs the 20 bucks for a self venting. same labor to put it in but it can save a board in a situation like this. I have seen some of the older Bark boards with the cheap vents.

Sorry for your board, put some pictures up and start working on getting it fixed.

Just for info I have had good luck using the waterproof gorilla glue in fixing delams.

Like I said before, it is supposed to be self-venting...it's Hobie's version with a Gore-Tex membrane material...
They used to use the Casica Engineering vents...we recently checked out another version and I didn't find it up to the same standard...

We use the Pete Casica vents made by Gore...military spec...I have a small fortune in them for our custom and production boards...;-)

They still are no guarantee...read his maintenance tips at the end...

"The vents I manufacture allow 5 ml/min airflow at optimum pressure/temperature differential, the one you have is similar.  In normal conditions, it never sees this since it constantly is breathing and would require an abrupt change in temperature/pressure to flow at maximum.  In the normal breathing condition, the amount of water vapor that can be held in the air during an intake mode is insigificant.  I don't know what the yield strength of the 2wayv membrane is, but the Gore-Tex I use is rated at ≥ 0.6 bar/60 sec.  It is also tested to withstand IP65 - water jets, IP67 - 1 meter water submersion for 30 minutes, IP69K - high pressure spray.  Keep in mind that this isn't for the membrane, but the entire valve assembly as made by Gore. "

"The Casica design has the membrane bonded around the circumference using a very specialized process. This vent is SELF-VENTING, which means it "breathes" constantly alleviating the need to open and close it. Or in worse case, forgetting to close it! The vent will flow 40 ml/minute max, and SUP's over 10' or hollow boards should use two (mid-board & near tail). Originally, Gore designed this vent for sealed military electronics, so it meets very stringent spec's for a saltwater environment. This vent isn't an immunity to heat problem with EPS, and customers should understand that boards still cannot be left in the sun; especially upside down on roof racks."

MAINTENANCE:
• Do not wax over the vent.  Keep wax, sand, debris away from the recessed area.
• Rinse the vent after use with fresh water using low pressure to remove any salt crystals, sand. etc
from the recessed area.
• Venting the board will greatly reduce problems with EPS/hollow-core heat expansion, but it is not an
immunization.   Keep the board out of direct sun exposure, and use a reflective bag.  Do not keep the
board in a closed vehicle during high temperatures.

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »
The Gore (Goretex) vents above are the same no hassel - no opening closing required vents that Infinity and others use. Hobies uses their own 2-way vents http://www.hobiesup.com.au/about/ that are hassel free and look like this...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 06:36:10 AM »
yea that`s the one.anyway the owner of the shop offered to swap the board out for me but it`s not cost effective for me to get the board back to him in calif and then the new one back down here.i`m going to talk off the glass on the nose and double concave it since the foam sucked in.then reglass.by the way the shop is the hobie surfboard shop in san juan capistrano.it`s good to know they are a reputable store that stands behind their products

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »
Ok learn something new, I have only seen the vents that Supsports is showing not the hobie vents.

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »
just wondering if they are hassle free why the slot to open the plug?

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
just wondering if they are hassle free why the slot to open the plug?

So you can replace it if it wears out or get damage. Just like the goretex self venting vent, that one use a socket instead of a flat head.  i have taken out the gore vent when i was vacuuming the water out of a repair area.  It allow better air flow than with the vent install.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard