Author Topic: CNC for SUPs  (Read 8060 times)

JonnyKustoms

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
CNC for SUPs
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »
1) Any shapers out there use a CNC machine to profile your boards? if yes, where and likes and dislikes of the software/machine. 

2) If you would change things what would it be and why?

3) Any hand shapers out there willing to try cnc machines? if so, what would you expect to pay for milling your boards?

I'm looking for milling my (pre-shapes) boards locally on Oahu and needing information

mahalo all!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CNC for SUPs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:33:22 PM »
I am no expert for sure, but I asked a lot of questions before I had my first board CNC'd. I designed my unlimited race board in 3D AutoCAD. AutoCAD is a monster compared with Shape 3D and Aku Shaper. I just used it because I already paid thousands for it, and use it for my work. Most CNC machines will cut a .DXF file, which is a standard output file for AutoCAD. Both Shape 3D and Aku have their own proprietary file types. The software is designed to work directly with their own shaping machines. Most CNC machines will work with a .DXF file as well. There is conversion software available with most packages. About the machines, some have router heads, some have wheel heads. The newer machines leave almost no lines, where the older ones leave some deep groves that require a lot of hand sanding afterwards. The machines require a lot of maintenance to keep them working properly so they don't clog and cut crappy. It's a full time job to just keep some of them running. Then learning not to confuse the machine with to many cross sections. A guy I know who does it for a living, uses Shape 3D. He saw a few of my files and said I need try to get it to as few of sections as possible to get a very clean result. To many sections can cause weird dips and bumps out of nowhere. Anyway, keep asking questions because there are so many aspects to the CNC shaping venture.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JonnyKustoms

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
Mahalo TallDude!

Will continue to educate myself on converting handshapes to cnc.

kingdavid

• Rincon Status
  • Let's share the stoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
We have a ton of experience hand shaping, CNC machine shaping, and building CNC shaping machines. Currently we are building a 24" Z, 48" Y, and 16' X travel CNC shaping machine. We would be more than happy to share our knowledge with the community. Feel free to write or call me for the straight story.

Dave Daum, King's Paddle Sports, Inc.
dave@kingspaddlesports.com
www.kingspaddlesports.com
760-822-7344

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:45:43 AM »
Hey johnny. I thought I had alreafdy posted to you but maybe it got lost. Anyways you can check out jay at surfboards makaha on oahu west side. He is a cool guy and a master shaper who uses a cnc machine. Best wishes

paddlesurfpastor

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »
So rad to see the different ways these things are envisioned and crafted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal