Author Topic: No name Starboards! Help ID  (Read 2690 times)

Neki

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
No name Starboards! Help ID
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »
A local shop has two identical 14'x28" race boards with no name or specs on it. They are said to be '09-'10 models. They're blue ast construction. The decks are recessed all the way off the tail and have two scuppers midpoint each side. Decks look different than newer models wich dont drain off the tail.   Would anyone know the model name and what conditions does the nose rocker favor or compare to?    Is this board the predecessor to the coastal runner or is the rocker more like the open ocean rocker.  Thanks for any help

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: No name Starboards! Help ID
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
http://www.star-board-sup.com/

Look at the catalogue list on the bottom of this page...

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:11 PM »
Sounds like it might be the 2010 "Surf Race"

Here's a link to a thread on our Aussie SUP site which compares the 2011 Open Ocean side-by-side with the 2010 Surf Race, with a fair bit of detail on both (in typical DJ style  ;) )

http://breeze.weatherwise.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Jonathans-New-Weapon/?SearchTerms=jonathan's,new,weapon

(The one without the handles is the 2010. Note these boards are the same length as each other but the wide-angle lens used makes it look otherwise)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:39:14 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:34:42 AM »
I have one of those boards. We called it a 14' Surf Race but if anything, it should be called the Elite Race as that is the name written on the bottom of some of them. The Surf Race was actually a 12'6" board.

Starboard never listed the 14' board on a catalogue in 2010 so in some ways it is a No Name board.

Neki

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:52 AM »
Thats the board " Surf Race" 14'  They are the '10 models without handles and scupper holes. Thanks for the link Upwind. It probably has a little more rocker than i would want, but at the price i cant go wrong. 

How much speed difference are we talking with the Surf Race rocker compared to other semi displacment types like Bark or Yolo?

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »
How much speed difference are we talking with the Surf Race rocker compared to other semi displacment types like Bark or Yolo?

I can't really comment on that, PT owns a 2010 board, he might be able to tell you more about that one. The Barks have really only just arrived in our little corner of the world and very few folks here have been on one. I don't think Yolo is in OZ at all. Our local crew will be running 14' speed tests some time in the not-to-distant future, there's some chance that Bark and Starby will be in the test pool (but your bargain might not last that long).

In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »

I think you will find the Bark much better on flat water and the Starboard better for open ocean and down-winders.

The shape of the SurfRace works well up to a certain speed on flat water and then past that speed it starts to push water forward.. The Bark's don't do that.

On a down-winder the Starboard shape works better because it's almost impossible to pearl and the rounded shape does not catch and the rocker makes it more surf'able.

DJ

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
Thats the board " Surf Race" 14'  They are the '10 models without handles and scupper holes. Thanks for the link Upwind. It probably has a little more rocker than i would want, but at the price i cant go wrong. 

In flat water, the 2010 14' Starboard is a little bit of a slug to be honest. I have never taken it in a race as it is the slowest of all my race boards by a fair margin. Semi-displacement boards leave it for dead. However, in a downwind situation, if the wind is up above 30-35 knots, it's my go to board. I would like to upgrade to the current shape Open Ocean, which this board most closely resembles in terms of rocker and plan shape, but I'm in no hurry. The one good thing about this old blue stripe Starboard is that it's kind of indestructible.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:25:55 AM »
Agreed the 2010 surf race is kind of a dog that really should not have gone to production for anything but maybe touring.  But the 2011 and 2012 Coast Runners (same board redesigned) are awesome. All of them are plenty fun downwind but the 2012 I have is just so much faster.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal