Author Topic: Isle SUP???  (Read 20904 times)

muddywaves

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Isle SUP???
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:30:27 AM »
Anyone ride these boards?  They have 3 models now, all seem too cheap to be true, but I'm thinking of getting one for my wife to do some light surf, maybe a little flatwater for cardio.  She's pretty beginner, so I don't think she would notice any surf performance issues.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Isle SUP???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 06:03:33 AM »
Haven't seen or tried the boards yet.... I was considering them for a long time.  They seems like they move alot of boards so I'm sure someone will have experience w/ them.  I spoke directly w/ Mark @ Isle, he was very helpful and informed and was indicating that they were going to be putting together a pkg deal at the end of May to be around $1000.  I don't know exactly what was included in the package.

I ended up going w/ the Southpoint Kalama based on a few factors......:

- I was able to rent the Kalama locally for a weekend, getting a chance to actually ride it  before I bought it, which was a big plus for me (fear of committing to something I've never seen or used).

- By the time you add-on deck pad (150), shipping (200), and paddle (300), the cost is only slightly cheaper than the Kalama package, so for me it wasn't worth it.

So hopefully there will be some more experience w/ the Isles out there - I am curious, like you said, because the price is so great.
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:03:11 AM »
Anyone ride these boards?  They have 3 models now, all seem too cheap to be true, but I'm thinking of getting one for my wife to do some light surf, maybe a little flatwater for cardio.  She's pretty beginner, so I don't think she would notice any surf performance issues.

The local shop installed deck pads on 2 of them for some guys who bought them, then the decks dented.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »
I have an Isle SUP.  It is 12' x 30"x4.5"
I got it 'cause it was 'cheap'... $600 on Ebay plus $200 shipping... ouch.  It seems to be great for cruising, but I am less impressed with the little bit of surfing I have done on it.  It has very little rocker, & pearls very easily. This could be my lack of ability too though.  The one I have seems pretty durable... no heel dents & it has MANY hours on it. And I weigh 180.  If I were to do it over again... I would spend a tad more and get one of the Lairds or something similar, but overall it served it's purpose well as a beginner SUP.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 09:16:10 AM »
on the web, it looks quite a serious brand.
What about the weight? and strength?
Prices seem very competitive in America. (no shipping to Europe...) ???

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
I had a "Millenial" 12' board like the ones sold on ebay, seem to be very similar or at least competitive with the Isle Surfboard versions.

It was pretty heavy and it was a real beast to surf.  On the flip side it was very stable and a pretty good board to learn on.

Forget about your wife/girlfriend carrying the thing though (unless she is at least 5'10" 170 lbs), it was difficult to manage out of the water.

Byronmaui

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »
Beware of the cheaper is better idea. Alot of companies trying to cash in on the cash cow of SUP.

Aloha

Byron

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
If you go to Swaylocks.com you'll find that they are not well thought of. The story, according to Swaylocks anyway, is that some guy bought a bunch of 'name shaper' boards and took them to China. They made molds there and are now they're in the surfboard business.

Shawn

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
Glad we are sticking to the States. 
10 days till the first boards arrive and two till the deck pads land... 
Whoever said patience is a virtue must not have had much to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal