Author Topic: Another look at drafting- does it help both the leader and the follower?  (Read 19650 times)

Slow Ride

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another look at drafting- does it help both the leader and the follower?
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
Hope the WPA and some race directors read your feedback.......  Last year I mostly raced on my surfboard, I drafted every time I could, but never stayed behind anyone more than a few minutes due to the fact I could paddle faster.  I always invited who ever I drafted behind to follow me when I passed and lets catch the racers in front.  Not once did a racer hang with me in order to get some big benefits from drafting.  At the BOP I passed close to 200 racers (surfboards to 14') and no one drafted me.  On the course I have been splashed, yelled at as being a cheater, and have had the nose of my board grabbed and pushed away in a buoy turn.  Even when I had my board grabbed I can't imagine yelling "do a 360!"  I am with you guys who say, let's race.   

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
What other pro sports other than triathlons do not allow drafting? It's part of racing it makes it a race, IMO the time trial in a bike race is pretty boring compared to a group battling it out for the sprint, makes you think and have some strategy plus be in shape. Drafting is not easy you can burn yourself out if you try and hang with a stronger smart racer. there has been a lot of ocean racing before SUPs, lifeguard events, surf skis, prone paddle boards OC's never had a problem with drafting it is part of the race. I raced in a bunch of lifeguard events growing up at one time in my life my partner and were national lifeguard champs in the two man surf dory, lots of carnage in surf dory racing and lots of fun. One year we raced in a series and we never lost a distance race from a 1 mile sprint to a 10 mile race. So the strategy for the other teams became drafting off us it made for great racing lots of mind games and the lead boat/paddler has a advantage dictates the pace and course when leading a draft you can put a couple of surges in making it hard for the person drafting once they get out of the draft they have to paddle over a small wake to get back on, That takes more energy out of you. i have never heard the top racers complaining about it. Look at the last BOP Conner, JM, Danny, three of the fastest guys grinding it out drafting off each other what a great race no complaints. 

So i vote yes for drafting and easy on the rules don't ruin a good thing.

Is it the drafting or just a bunch of old farts with new carbon boards worried about getting a scratch.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard