Author Topic: Trolling for waves...  (Read 7731 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Trolling for waves...
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:22:19 AM »
Last Saturday morning I was at SanO. Surfline said 2'-3' and sunny. I guess everyone read it, but the 2' to 3' never showed. There must have been 30 or more people out in "fullsuits"! It was sunny 75 ish, and they are all just standing there with no waves. I decided to trunk it, and do a little 'Trolling" down the coast. I paddled about 1.5 miles and found this perfect little shoulder, solid 3'+, with a steep, fast wave. Only one other SUP'r and one prone guy a little up the beach. I must have caught 25 total speeders, at least. The break was fairly long too. As I paddled back towards SanO I passed another SUP'r trolling, and told him about the spot. When I got back to SanO, there was an even bigger crowd of 'fullsuits' standing there sweating with no waves. I told a few people in the line up that there were waves you just have to paddle about a mile and a half to get to the break. Most of them said they had never paddled that far! One guy said he was going to check it out. He was the only other guy trunk'in it too. Turned out to be a great day, super fun session. Anyone else troll for waves?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:25:24 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Glider

Re: Trolling for waves...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »
Thats part of the fun and appeal to standup.   There are lots of spots  where we live providing such as you described.  Most days a wetsuit is the choice of attire
due to water temp, potential wind and air temp.   Lots of nooks and cranny spots that take a little, sometimes alot of effort to get to.  Not always the best wave, but the empty waves and the adventure of exploring them are exciting.  

Starting to see the herd mentality develop in standup, the fear of surfing alone in uncharted waters.  I'm not suggesting doing something unsafe, common sense should prevail at all times.  

Herd surfing is something the surfing community has suffered from for years.  

Nothing like touring or surfing funs waves with a few new or old friends.
not 30.  I relocated from So Cal a couple of years ago, even there I was able to find fairly empty waves, (sometimes lesser quality) but empty if I was willing to troll up and down the coast.  Case in point,  I used to go out at Blackies in Newport at day break before work most days.  I would be on the south side riding small peaks alone while on the north side by 7 am there would be 30 to 40 guys grinding each other for waves.  Sometimes I would troll north and poach waves along the finger jetties for a couple of miles.  Done by 8 and off to work.  If the wind was on it I would paddle in the harbor and look at all the nice homes and boats.  Good way to start the day with a nice sunrise on the water. One of the benefits of trolling is you not only get alot of waves you also get a distance paddle work out.  2 for the price of 1.

I guess that makes me anti social or something, or just old !
I'll go with OLD !

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:06 AM »
Hey Glider,
I think you nailed it. I too "prefer to be by myself" as George Thorogood would put it. Now I'm old, but I've always been that way. Self employed, set my own hours, work by myself. Now if there is beer involved, I don't mind being in a crowd... I was talking to Colin McPhillps the other day about a crossover board he had made just for trolling. He had a 10' gun made that paddles and surfs well. I've been thinking about making one for myself. I know PSH makes a 'Hull Paddler' that is pretty much just that. It's rethinking the all-rounder board, and making it more of a performace surfing board. As you said, the less accessable beaches are perfect for SUP surfing. 
It's not overhead to me!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:59:35 AM »
Tall dude,

Was out at my secret spot for steep NW swells Sun dawn patrol.  Nailed it.  Two proners made it out... As soon as they got out, I paddled north about 300yards to a reef that was starting to work.  Me and a buddy... Alone.  Two hours later, 10 guys are on it.... Time to paddle away.

Sunday afternoon son and father in law rent skis... I am on my 14 Chazz.  I paddle down in front of olamendis and wait for the tide to drop.. It does and the outer reef starts breaking a bit.  Grandpa and son riding waves on skis... Me, surfing them on Chazz. Good times.  There were a half dozen paddlers riding nothing at Doho.  Gotta admit that it switched on and off VERY quickly.  Maybe a dozen sets...

Surf is where you find it, or something.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
I echo the sentiments above

for years I would look at distant reef breaks wondering if they were surfable.   Eventually I would talk friends into dropping me off from their boats, but if the surf died or wasn't any good, what an awful paddle back I had ahead of me.  SUP is the perfect vehicle for trolling for waves, and it is fun in the process
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »
Now, what would that perfect trolling board be?
It's not overhead to me!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
"perfect board"
Excellent question.  SUP has the ability to put you into so many different situations.  Where some would advocate for shorter and 'surfier' other conditions call for more glide and hybrid performance.  This thread typifies why there is no one perfect board, and why the sport provides such an opportunity for shapers to expand their offerings.

I love these stories.  I've had a couple troll sessions and it's always encouraging to hear the tales of other surfers.  Thanks guys.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
Trolling is what it's all about, though this year I have kept oddly close to Kanaha. No idea why. I've only done a few Ho'okipa days, a couple of Tavares, once off Euro, Spartan's and Secrets on my Bullet (fun!!) and a couple of poaching runs out of the harbor up the coast with Boyum.

I drove around the backside of the island yesterday (west end) to look at Little Makaha, S-turns, Honolua and Windmills. Then continued on and briefly considered begging the locals to let me play at Kahakuloa Bay--there was a nice roller coming in and breaking right. But it's a tough deal. Continued on and saw lots of fun looking stuff down the coast, but the wind was up. I have to try these spots sometime when the wind isn't howling Kona.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
When the wind is from this direction and this strong, it's good to stay at home... and put the fins on my new Kwad!  All set and ready to go on a real SUS.  So excited but I have to wait till this monster weather is gone.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
Head gonna get bit by da bug!
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »
Here it is brand new at 21 lbs.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »
You Dog! Les is gonna give you some serious shit now. That's a beautiful board, I bet it hauls ass.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
Not with you out there taking all the heat.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »
"perfect board"
Excellent question.  SUP has the ability to put you into so many different situations.  Where some would advocate for shorter and 'surfier' other conditions call for more glide and hybrid performance.  This thread typifies why there is no one perfect board, and why the sport provides such an opportunity for shapers to expand their offerings.

I love these stories.  I've had a couple troll sessions and it's always encouraging to hear the tales of other surfers.  Thanks guys.

The perfect trolling board is a starboard 12'6". Put the thrusters in your pocket along with a fin key and it's a decent downwind/cruise, and even race board. Stick in the thrusters and it's not a bad surfboard. The 12'2" is even moreso and makes a great SUP sailor as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
Not with you out there taking all the heat.

Too true. He was bitching at me a few days ago because I DIDN'T take a wave. I'm serious.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal