Author Topic: Leash string/ Race coil leash setup  (Read 4819 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Leash string/ Race coil leash setup
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
If you have a board with two plugs, you can set up a loop strap between the two plugs that allows you to grab the tail of the board in smaller waves.  I used 600 lbs test strength Spectra line and 1/4" vinyl tubing for the setups in the pictures.  The leash can be attached over this loop to distribute the pull over both plugs.

The race leash is made with a short body boarding coil leash and a longer piece of string to reduce drag when racing.   Use at your own risk, the string could do serious damage if wrapped around body parts.  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:08:08 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash string/ Race coil leash setup
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »
We actually make a leash like this, with some cord that is less likely to do damage because it flattens under side pressure but it's fundamentally 1/4" loose weave kite string. You could tow a car with it. I have 500 of them, but we're not selling them until we figure out the liability issue. Great leash. Don't mean to tease about it. We'll get it sorted soon I hope.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »
It's a good concept, and I have to give you credit, Bill, for the leash idea, and credit to Kevin Seid of Everpaddle for the idea of the grab loop on the tail.  Both work really well.
But why you would make 500 of these, Bill?  I can't understand your thinking, that's like one for every single downwind racer in the world.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »
Seeing that cord with the plastic around it scares me...

I tried that on an old board with double leash plugs... and still have the bruises from trying to use it as a handle...  IT DID NOT WORK!

Also, loose cords and leashes scare me.  I won't post a pic to show why...

It would make me nervous Bill... really, really nervous from a risk management perspective. 

I am sure you have smart attorneys looking at this... and I am sure that you will heed their advice.

Tim

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
Yeah, my attorney says I'm never going to run out of my personal race leashes. I can use them for floss. Actually the product liability would come to a little over 7K assuming the underwriter actually stuck with the first estimate, and that's a little more than the margin for the leashes.

So yeah, I should have checked all this out before I started, but it's not the first time I've done something dumb. They are fabulous race leashes though.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
Clemenza, "Tessio, you sit up front with me.  Luca, you get in the back.  Let's go for a drive."

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »
Clemenza, "Tessio, you sit up front with me.  Luca, you get in the back.  Let's go for a drive."
Nowadays they'd just use tiny helicopters.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »
I can't see why any one would use spectra. I kitesurf as well and have seen what it can do to flesh and blood  :o Raceboards are pretty floaty so a shorter leash will stay completely on the board at all times. I bought this online after seeing DW with his from Balin. I shortened it and just use the coiled part. I attach it forward of where I stand and it cannot trip me up while stepping to the tail and back. I don't think leash drag is the reason I can't catch the guy in front of me. Maybe a change in eating habits is.  :D

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
Use at your own risk, the string could do serious damage if wrapped around body parts.  

We actually make a leash like this /

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »
I don't think leash drag is the reason I can't catch the guy in front of me. Maybe a change in eating habits is.  :D

Absolutely, it's the leash.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:26:50 PM by PonoBill »

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »
  Reading this thread and looking at the pics made me think: using the strap to "bridge" the two plugs helps spread the load to both. But if one was to pull out (unlikely as it is), then couldn't the velcro end of the leash could slip off the loop, and bye-bye board ?

I had previously wondered about using two separate leash loops (one from each plug, and making them long enough to get a straight pull) might be a good way to utilize both plugs for safety?

Of course that brings up the question of:  is it better to have them the same length to spread the load, or one longer than the other to act as a backup if the first one lets go?
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »
I'm a belt and suspenders leash guy, though all of my leash disasters have either been the cuff pulling off my leg, the polyurethane cord coming out of the molded joint, the swivel failing, or the poly cord breaking. I've never has a string break. Jeez, looking back I've sure done a lot of swimming.

I do a double string even when I only have one plug. I use a standard leash string and then have a loose string made from kite line. If the standard string breaks you have a backup and the failure is obvious.

Tail handles are Sam Pae's blessing for anyone that has ever had a big wave fall on their head, but few people use them. I won't go into big surf without one. The best is the one on the gecko board--a carbon fiber recessed grip that Mark Raaphort made for me to repay a favor. Second best is a heel strap from a kiteboard that stays angled to grab the right way (fingers wrapping over, not under the handle).

Not only does the handle greatly reduce the effects of being caught inside, you also can keep the board away from other surfers. Everyone says "I don't want to be anywhere near my board", then they try the handle and say "wow, that's amazing". It's completely counter-intuitive, but it's a very useful addition.

You just don't want anything that gets your fingers caught.

bean

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
  Reading this thread and looking at the pics made me think: using the strap to "bridge" the two plugs helps spread the load to both. But if one was to pull out (unlikely as it is), then couldn't the velcro end of the leash could slip off the loop, and bye-bye board ?

I had previously wondered about using two separate leash loops (one from each plug, and making them long enough to get a straight pull) might be a good way to utilize both plugs for safety?

Of course that brings up the question of:  is it better to have them the same length to spread the load, or one longer than the other to act as a backup if the first one lets go?

I agree, a "bridge” only assures that you are relying on the weakest link.  I’m not sold on tying separate loops from each plug since I would be concerned that the two lines will abrade each other inside the Velcro-closure. A single loop through both plugs seems to make the most sense since if one plug fails you are still attached to your board.   

(You can keep an eye on the condition of the leash-string but you can’t always spot the impeding failure of a glassed-in plug.) 

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
Using the single line, why not tie a knot in the middle, making a loop for the leash strap to go thru.  A figure eight knot would be good.  And then, instead of securing one end to each plug, tie or splice the ends together. 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
I'm surprised we don't see more race boards with leash plugs on the nose. That would keep the lease out of the water and would work just as good as a tail plug.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut