Author Topic: Most stabile 14' displacement hull board  (Read 6449 times)

funkart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Most stabile 14' displacement hull board
« on: February 02, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »
Looking for advice on what everybody thinks the most stabile 14' race/touring board (not custom) on the market with a displacement hull is?
I'm 200lbs

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Most stabile 14' displacement hull board
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
The new Starboard Pierce Touring 14' is a very stable board.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
One of these in the 29" width. Ok on speed, but 'stable'.... http://www.404sup.com/?page_id=173
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »
The 2012 BARK Laird's are supposedly stable.  I'd like to check one out.

http://youtu.be/kg_3kpsXNSQ
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:20:46 PM by mik911 »
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »
I am very impressed with the stability of the Hobie 14 I have. I am more comfortable on it than the other wider boards I demoed.  I weigh more than you but don't know how tall you are since that can make a difference in the feel.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »
Yep, I've tried the 2012 Bark Lairds. The 12-6 was more stable than the Competitor, but the difference was not huge, but will probably be significant if you are a big guy - I just didn't need the extra volume.

But it was the 14 that particularly impressed me. It is much more stable than e.g. the Dominator.

I liked it very much, it felt like a great channel-crossing, rough water or big-distance type board for someone like me (average weight and height), or a shorter-distance race board for a really big guy.

Loads of flotation. Looks great. Seemed strong. Even surfed pretty well for a 14 displacement. Definitely worth a demo.

funkart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 05:09:15 AM »
I'm 5'11'' 200  I presently own a dominator but find it just does not fit the all around board I'm looking for, I like the look of the new Bark/Laird but would love to know if it is that much more stabile than the DOM (don't want to make same expensive mistake twice) --- The Dom was great (for me) in a short mile race but in longer distance (or touring/ or training)) I find myself (particularly in rougher water) worrying about tipping  ------ I guess I need wider? How is Hobie /Yolo/ Starboard (which model) or any other suggestions ------- Thx guys ----- SO the most stabile 14' for 5'11 200lbs not looking to win races but to participate ------ all around displacement hull?   

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 05:50:44 AM »
As a big guy too I can say I've tried just about everything (Production wise) and by far the Fanatic Fly 14Ft is super stable (combination of width & volume) fast in choppy water (they have a faster flatwater version. Also for bigger guys who "flex" boards more than say and average weight guy The Fanatic construction is very stiff and light

If you have any other questions feel free to post or PM me

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

bean

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
I'm arround 200# and find the Fanatic Fly Race super stable and versitile.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »
I have a custom Bark virtually identical to the Dominator.  I've tried the Bark/Laird in flat water and couldn't really tell any difference, although if I'd tried them side by side maybe I could.  Its extra volume must add stability, but the pintail counteracts that some.   It seems the result should be a board that is faster for larger guys in flat water (which seems like what the designers were after) but not a lot more stable.  I'm 6-1, 200.  Like Area 10 said, the difference may be more apparent for heavier people.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
Yes, pdxmike is right. The new big Laird 14 is not a huge amount different in stability than the Dominator. But when I tried it it was hell choppy and it was more stable for sure. But he is also spot-on about the pintail, and incidentally, I'm not sure about those tails on the new JM Surftech race boards either - seemed to make them harder to surf so not sure how they would be downwind.

So I would stop short for sure of saying that the new Laird Surftechs are "the most stable displacement boards". They just aren't the most tippy for sure.

And on that note, I think that the comments here about the Fanatic Fly Race might be misleading if not read in context. I presume bean and JimK are talking about the 28" wide version (?). I tried that, and it was only marginally more stable than my Dominator. So as far as I am concerned that doesn't even come close to meeting the criterion of "the most stable displacement hull board", very nice and fast though they are.

In general, it's not difficult to know which will be the most stable. For a given width, a 14 will usually be more stable than a 12-6, and the wider the board, in general, the more stable it will be. So I can well believe that a 30" wide 14fter like the new Starboard Touring might be very stable (but have not tried one), and in general, a 29" board like the new Suftech Laird 14 will be more stable than the Dominator at 27.5" (I think). Other features like hard rails, flat bottoms, sunken decks etc. help a lot too. So you could probbaly narrow down your options for demo with a bit of simple research on those features.

Given that what is stable for one person might be tippy for another - and the very wide range of abilities of the people who post on this forum, you might be better off trying to narrow down your options like that. For instance, I tried the Starboard K15 the other day (30" wide) and thought it was very stable. But several of my friends who are of similar ability have said that it feels a bit tippy to them. Stability is a very personal thing - and your judgement heavily depends on what board you have just stepped off/normally ride.

Some people's sense of balance is awesome, and they find it hard to believe that anyone would find pretty much anything tippy.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
Good luck on getting a definitive answer on what is the most stable SUP out there. As others have mentioned, there are many things to consider such as rails, hull shape, etc, but a 14 is usually more stable than a 12'6" of the same model, and it gets more stable as width increases.

For sheer stability, something like the LPC River Rover at 31-32" wide and around 300 litres in volume is probably going to be one of the most stable boards you can find, but it's a massive board. Not that this is really a bad thing, but something to consider.

From an overall performance and stability stand point, you might want to consider boards like the Fanatic 14 Ocean model, Starboard Coast Runner, and Open Ocean which seem to offer a high degree of stability for 28" wide boards. The performance trade off could be worth it as a narrower board that is still relatively stable, will be probably be faster than a 30"+ wide board. It depends how heavy you are as well and experienced, but 200 pounds isn't much for some of these boards that are approaching 300 litres or more. I am also 200 pounds, and have a 31.5" 12'6" that is super stable and can hold over 300 pounds. My next board is going to be in the 28-30" range and hopefully with a narrower board, my paddle stroke will improve but the board will still be stable enough to still offer an increase in speed. With the reported stability of several of the 28" models out there right now, I'm thinking going a bit narrower will be worth it for a 14 footer.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:09:01 PM by robon »

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »
Hobie 14'
Rock solid stability. i own one so i am biased and have never tried most of the other 14' boards out their

funkart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks guys (gals) I hope the comments keep coming ----- When I was searching last year for the perfect 14' I was hoping to buy once buy right I don't have a hugh amount of money but I tend to try to buy the best i can. All the research I did (internet) pointed to the Dominator unfortunately living in New York is tuff to find new boards to demo. So I bought the Dominator my thought was that early reports were saying how stabile it was and i hoped that it would be. Now I do understand that some have better balance than other but they were claiming the board was for paddlers up to 225 lbs? I've been surfing since 85' and sup'n and sus'n for two years started on a 12' 1'' laird and now surf on 9'11''  so I'm not completely new to the sport. I trained for months for the 26 mile SEA Paddle around Manhattan, I did the paddle in 5 1/2 hours and honestly I enjoyed the challenge but the chop and the boat wakes sucked on that board a short 3 or 5 mile race I could deal with but anything outside of completely flat water was not enjoyable. I just looking to make the right decision this time, I would bet others have made the same mistake, I just want to be comfortable paddling on something that will cut through the chop and wind please ----- seems to me that the designs are still prone paddle boards that were turned into sup race boards?    

funkart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »
Hobie 14'
Rock solid stability. i own one so i am biased and have never tried most of the other 14' boards out their
Just curious paddlejones how much do you weight and how tall are you?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal